FFXImomma

UK to US Visa Free, IS marriage allowed

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Another thing I meant to say... you mentioned a 'financial burden' right at the beginning of this thread, as being one reason why you want him to come on the VWP and stay. Okay... first of all, you shouldn't have to spend $500 a month on phone calls - have you looked into Skype or any of the other massively cheaper options out there?

Secondly... if finances are a problem, whichever route you choose to go, visa or no visa, you're going to need to pay for adjustment of status for him to become a permanent resident, and those fees are WAY more expensive than the costs of getting a visa - so if you can't afford the visa, you definitely won't be able to afford to file for AOS for a while. When you *do* file for AOS, you will need a sponsor - either yourself or someone else such as a family member, etc - to satisfy USCIS that you/they have sufficient income or assets to ensure the immigrant won't become a public charge. There are certain levels of income that MUST be met (or must be made up with assets), or the AOS will be denied. Something to think about...

Also... if you do decide that he's going to move to the US to be with you, he might want to think about getting as much money saved in the UK as he can beforehand... the exchange rate is good right now (hopefully it will stay that way), that will at least help while he's unable to work! Speaking of which... if he enters on the VWP, he will not be work authorised when he gets to the US (you can apply for work authorisation with the AOS application, but that will take a few months to be approved) - whereas if he enters on a K-1 visa, he can get employment authorisation for the first 90 days after his arrival. Something to think about if money's tight... having him unable to accept employment for months isn't going to help matters if that's the case!

Um....I know this is well intentioned, but if the OP is gonna freak about visa fees, this info might be a bit to much to handle.

Money for the AOS can be gathered up. Even if they filed for a visa immediately, that step is a few months down the road.

And yeah I'd seriously suggest an alternate calling plan for communications. I had one through AT&T that was 40 bucks a month, unlimited calling to the UK.

Sorry... I just meant that bringing him over ASAP on the VWP could prove a costly exercise if money is likely to be a problem! (and editing to add that, yep, AOS can be saved up for - while waiting for the visa, for example... that's kinda what I meant). Was trying to say that what might seem like the cheapest way to do things won't necessarily be so, if you see what I mean... but was trying to type super-fast while waiting for something to cook! ;) Not trying to freak the OP out at all... honest!

Eh, you're right about that. At least when filing for a K visa your expenses can be strung out a bit over time. I knew ya meant well! I could almost see you typing and breathing fast at the same time - lol!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
..... Their immigration procedures are much more streamlined but they also don't have NEARLY the illegal immigrant problem that we have. A visa in the UK is not a guarantee; if you don't meet their requirements then no visa; it's as simple as that. They can be just as judgemental and hard-a$$ed as the US. They just process the apps quicker because they don't have nearly the volume that the USCIS does. :lol:

So...you think that the US isn't free because you can't just come in with no visa, get married, and stay? You DO realize that it works the same way in the UK, right? US immigration law allows for more wiggle room and exceptions than UK immigration law, you know. Quicker does NOT equal better. If you enter the UK on a tourist visa you can't get married...PERIOD. You can in the US. You have to enter the UK on a fiance visa to get married, no ifs ands or buts. When you go to the registry office to get married, they ASK TO SEE THE VISA. You better believe it. The UK doesn't require a medical exam, but I think they should since they're starting to have some problems with tuberculosis and immigrants bringing in HIV. You don't even have to be screened for TB to immigrate to the UK; that's INSANE.

.........Your SO is from the UK and it is piss easy for Brits to get visas. Very few of the British applicants here have had serious problems or lengthy delays. Go look in the MENA forum and compare your 'sob story' to some of theirs..........

All very true. And HA brings up a very salient point about immigration going in that direction vs. coming here. I've read dozens of 'whines' over the years about UK immigration speed vs. immigration to the US. It is simply, as HA says here, about the numbers. A lot fewer applications.

Plus a UK fiancee' visa is a heck of a lot more expensive than a US K1. Multiply that expense times three for the OP. She mentions having two children. If she's taking them with her to the UK, the expense just grows and grows.

Filed: Timeline
Moving to the US means the UKC loses family and friends?!?!?!?! If that were the case, I wouldn't allow my fiance to move here either.

I know the OP hasn't shared her entire story - I'm sure it's nuanced and lovely - but from the tiny bit relayed here, I think it might be all's well for these too. Neither seemed prepared for these challenges. If it's meant to be, they'll find the strength to fight the fight. If not, then yeah, she did the right thing and he'll come to appreciate it as well.

I'm sure she doesn't need to be judged... :blink:

It's hardly judgement.

Sounds like it to me.

So...you think that the US isn't free because you can't just come in with no visa, get married, and stay? You DO realize that it works the same way in the UK, right? US immigration law allows for more wiggle room and exceptions than UK immigration law, you know. Quicker does NOT equal better. If you enter the UK on a tourist visa you can't get married...PERIOD.

I agree with the direction of your post, but this part isn't necessarily true. I got married in the UK on a tourist visit. Came back to the US and then got my leave to enter.

BTW, I don't understand why everyone gets upset when people offer their opinion - not just in this thread, but in general. This IS a forum site and people are here to give their views - simple as.

Edited by Converse34

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Moving to the US means the UKC loses family and friends?!?!?!?! If that were the case, I wouldn't allow my fiance to move here either.

I know the OP hasn't shared her entire story - I'm sure it's nuanced and lovely - but from the tiny bit relayed here, I think it might be all's well for these too. Neither seemed prepared for these challenges. If it's meant to be, they'll find the strength to fight the fight. If not, then yeah, she did the right thing and he'll come to appreciate it as well.

It's hardly judgement.

Sounds like it to me.

Oh d, you and your red pen of proof.

Okay, then it is. You win. You got me. Wait, let me insert your fav emoticon: :blink:

But I don't regret saying any of it. And it seems that the OP has taken a lot of the comments here to heart and decided to be a bit more studious in her pursuit of options and coming to a decision about them. Good for her. She'll work something out.

As another member pointed out, we can find an example of all scenarios here on VJ: people who took member advice and got burned, people who opted for attorney advice and got burned, people burned by supposed expert government employees, misinformation lines, members of congress, blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, all we can do here is give the best information we have and along with that all members have to know that the decision rests with them and all successes or failures reside solely in them because they made the final call on using the information they have gathered. Some can share credit or blame where either is due. But the buck stops with each VJer.

Judgment is in the eye of the beholder. Personal sympathies can alter the meaning one takes from any statement.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

So...you think that the US isn't free because you can't just come in with no visa, get married, and stay? You DO realize that it works the same way in the UK, right? US immigration law allows for more wiggle room and exceptions than UK immigration law, you know. Quicker does NOT equal better. If you enter the UK on a tourist visa you can't get married...PERIOD.

I agree with the direction of your post, but this part isn't necessarily true. I got married in the UK on a tourist visit. Came back to the US and then got my leave to enter.

BTW, I don't understand why everyone gets upset when people offer their opinion - not just in this thread, but in general. This IS a forum site and people are here to give their views - simple as.

Strange, because:

From 5 December 2005, if you are subject to immigration control and you want to marry or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom (UK) you will need to follow the procedures below. You must either:

* hold a fiancé(e) or visitor - marriage / civil partnership entry clearance (visa), or

* hold a Home Office certificate of approval*, or

* be settled in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)

You must also give notice to marry / register a civil partnership to a registrar at one of a number of designated register offices throughout the UK. Below is a brief summary of the rules. This page explains how they apply to you and what you must do.

When I got married in 2001, I was asked for my fiance visa.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pa...d=1106654124706

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

It's hardly judgement.

Sounds like it to me.

Okay, then it is. You win. You got me. Wait, let me insert your fav emoticon: :blink:

But I don't regret saying any of it. And it seems that the OP has taken a lot of the comments here to heart and decided to be a bit more studious in her pursuit of options and coming to a decision about them. Good for her. She'll work something out.

As another member pointed out, we can find an example of all scenarios here on VJ: people who took member advice and got burned, people who opted for attorney advice and got burned, people burned by supposed expert government employees, misinformation lines, members of congress, blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, all we can do here is give the best information we have and along with that all members have to know that the decision rests with them and all successes or failures reside solely in them because they made the final call on using the information they have gathered. Some can share credit or blame where either is due. But the buck stops with each VJer.

Judgment is in the eye of the beholder. Personal sympathies can alter the meaning one takes from any statement.

Just pointing out the truth. I'm sure you would always return the favor & are quick to point out other's wrongdoings. :wacko:

The OP came here to get opinions, not be told her relationship is better off broken up.

Edited by devilette

Strange, because:

From 5 December 2005, if you are subject to immigration control and you want to marry or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom (UK) you will need to follow the procedures below. You must either:

* hold a fiancé(e) or visitor - marriage / civil partnership entry clearance (visa), or

* hold a Home Office certificate of approval*, or

* be settled in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)

You must also give notice to marry / register a civil partnership to a registrar at one of a number of designated register offices throughout the UK. Below is a brief summary of the rules. This page explains how they apply to you and what you must do.

When I got married in 2001, I was asked for my fiance visa.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pa...d=1106654124706

It must have changed then - I got married back in 1997 in Gretna Green (not sure if laws in Scotland are different). I was extremely naive, I was 17 and didn't even look into anything visa wise until after I was married.

Lifting Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's hardly judgement.

Sounds like it to me.

Just pointing out the truth. I'm sure you would always return the favor & are quick to point out other's wrongdoings. :wacko:

The OP came here to get opinions, not be told her relationship is better off broken up.

Whatever you say, d.

edited to add: At any rate, like I said, I'm glad the OP seems to be getting more information and exploring options, sources for information and opinion, and is hopefully on whichever road is best for her.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

He is waiting on his passport in the UK now, we were told he could come to the US Visa Free for 90 days, is this true?

Yes, 'jundp' provided a good link.... he can come in on the VWP.

And if so can we get married if we decide then and he apply to stay from here?

The highlighted words are key. You have not made a decision as yet, but if you do make that decision and get married while he is here.... yes, he can stay and apply to adjust status.

Another thing is there is a big age difference me being the older, will that be a problem?

Age difference does not seem to be a major factor for USCIS. Fraudulent relationships are.

On a personal note, I don't know what the "big age difference" is, but it sounds like something that only you, yourself, have a concern with. I know quite a few happily married couples with large age differences, on both the male and female side. It doesn't appear to be a factor with them, or with any of their friends and family. This is something you will need to resolve in your own mind. I think allowing him to come to visit will give you the opportunity to explore that concern.

I wish you all the best, FFXImomma.

iagree.gif

FFXI, don't let the enormity of the information overwhelm you...use the simple fact that this message board has a huge member list as proof positive that it can all be done...one step at a time.

Each and every one of us had to learn the process...hell, when I started, I thought immigration was like that 'Green Card' movie. We were planning a Carribbean cruise wedding whilst thinking we could get a K-1. *you cannot leave the country without AP if you file for a K-1 btw*

ahh good times.

Anyways, if you and your man are serious and want to live a life together, all obstacles can be overcome. But you have a lot of reading to do because this process is confusing. But it's not impossible...nowhere near!

Oh, btw...I'd suggest searching for decent VOIP phone service. My Brit boy has Vonage in the UK and it has been a Godsend. I think it's like 15 quid a month and it's free for him to call me...and for like 3 quid, he has a virtual number which is in my area code, so I can call him for free too. It's also great cos when I'm out and only have my cellphone, I can call him and it only costs me my plan minutes. But I just ring and say 'call me back' cos my incoming mins are free, lol. It also has free call forwarding and you can access the control panel online. So if I know he's out, I get online, fwd to wherever he is, then call him.

I really do wish you the best of luck.

Oh, btw...I'd suggest searching for decent VOIP phone service. My Brit boy has Vonage in the UK and it has been a Godsend. I think it's like 15 quid a month and it's free for him to call me...and for like 3 quid, he has a virtual number which is in my area code, so I can call him for free too. It's also great cos when I'm out and only have my cellphone, I can call him and it only costs me my plan minutes. But I just ring and say 'call me back' cos my incoming mins are free, lol. It also has free call forwarding and you can access the control panel online. So if I know he's out, I get online, fwd to wherever he is, then call him.

I really do wish you the best of luck.

I second this. I also have vonage and it is fantastic. Calling UK landlines for free for $25 a month - who can beat that??

Lifting Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.