JT1990

Visa refused due to lack of income

38 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Only the assets of the sponsor are considered.   

Assets of intending immigrant may be used (as long as they can be liquidated and moved to the US)

If your total household income does not meet the requirement, you may submit evidence of the value of your assets, the sponsored immigrant’s assets, and/or assets of a household member that can be used, if necessary, for the support of the intending immigrants. The value of assets of all of these persons may be combined in order to meet the necessary requirement.
Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
24 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Assets of intending immigrant may be used (as long as they can be liquidated and moved to the US)

If your total household income does not meet the requirement, you may submit evidence of the value of your assets, the sponsored immigrant’s assets, and/or assets of a household member that can be used, if necessary, for the support of the intending immigrants. The value of assets of all of these persons may be combined in order to meet the necessary requirement.
Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value

Thanks.  I wasn't aware that a fiance could semi self-spnosor.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Thanks.  I wasn't aware that a fiance could semi self-spnosor.

USCIS language doesn't always apply to what the consulate will or won't do. Secondarily,  the quoted section is from the i864 not the i134.  London has been about the only consulate to allow self sponsorship 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

USCIS language doesn't always apply to what the consulate will or won't do. Secondarily,  the quoted section is from the i864 not the i134.  London has been about the only consulate to allow self sponsorship 

Thanks.  I am still learning....I am a slow learner.....LOL.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

30 minutes ago, payxibka said:

But the i134 doesn’t mention the poverty guidelines or any other firm indication of required income anyway (it just says “sufficient”), so how do you reconcile being told they don’t earn enough with a dollar amount, unless you use the i864 guidelines?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

But the i134 doesn’t mention the poverty guidelines or any other firm indication of required income anyway (it just says “sufficient”), so how do you reconcile being told they don’t earn enough with a dollar amount, unless you use the i864 guidelines?

Because the consulate decides locally what is or isn't acceptable.   Some consulates may adopt i864 guidelines (100% or 125%) but whatever they do in the end it is a local decision.  Manila for example, doesn't ask for financial information at all but in a rare few situations. 

YMMV

21 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Because the consulate decides locally what is or isn't acceptable.   Some consulates may adopt i864 guidelines (100% or 125%) but whatever they do in the end it is a local decision.  Manila for example, doesn't ask for financial information at all but in a rare few situations. 

So your opinion is that it is variable and some consulates may or may not use some part of the i864 guidelines as they see fit. Doesn’t sound very determinate at all to be able to categorically say no one will use something just because it is “in i864 and not i134”, given that nothing but a vague term - referring both income and financial resources btw - is actually in i134. I certainly would not discourage someone from at least trying to use assets based on that.

22 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

So your opinion is that it is variable and some consulates may or may not use some part of the i864 guidelines as they see fit. Doesn’t sound very determinate at all to be able to categorically say no one will use something just because it is “in i864 and not i134”, given that nothing but a vague term - referring both income and financial resources btw - is actually in i134. I certainly would not discourage someone from at least trying to use assets based on that.

They can certainly try, but it could backfire when it comes to AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed. Please start your own thread for questions regarding your own case~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

They can certainly try, but it could backfire when it comes to AOS.

I don’t understand this comment. Can you explain how it will backfire if they are using the same guidelines as the i864, which is what I presume you are referring to “backfiring”? 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t understand this comment. Can you explain how it will backfire if they are using the same guidelines as the i864, which is what I presume you are referring to “backfiring”? 

What I mean is more hypothetical - if the 'relaxed' requirements for the I-134 (i.e non-binding) enables someone who is borderline to get a visa, it may not work out so well when they adjust status, where the I-864 is used.

Like @payxibka, the sponsorship issue for K visa applicants is very much consulate-specific.

34 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

What I mean is more hypothetical - if the 'relaxed' requirements for the I-134 (i.e non-binding) enables someone who is borderline to get a visa, it may not work out so well when they adjust status, where the I-864 is used.

Like @payxibka, the sponsorship issue for K visa applicants is very much consulate-specific.

If you go back and look at the conversation, I actually suggested using the i864 guidelines. That's why I don’t understand why you said my suggestion would be borderline when it would be in line with what it required for AOS . Payxiba was the one saying they may or may not use them.

35 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If you go back and look at the conversation, I actually suggested using the i864 guidelines. That's why I don’t understand why you said my suggestion would be borderline when it would be in line with what it required for AOS . Payxiba was the one saying they may or may not use them.

Your suggestion could backfire because the consulates do not uniformly use the I-864 to adjudicate K visa interviews.  

Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

My comments were limited to the ability to self sponsor,  which has typically only been allowed by London 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 6/11/2021 at 3:27 PM, JT1990 said:

Hi everyone. Due to CoVid 19 my fiance only made ~$18k in 2020, and our visa petition has been "refused pending a review of the following documentation". We have been advised to provide examples of additional savings and a job offer, but were not given a dollar amount for what would be considered sufficient savings. Does anyone have experience with this? Our families are willing to gift us the required amount, but we do not have another US citizen willing to be a co-sponsor.

Hello. I’d say if you have enough money in the bank account (savings) to prove you meet the minimum requirement, plus any other assets, you’d be fine. 

However, an employment letter as proof of consistent earning is the type of document they like to see.

I have seen cases of people who had the employment letter and bank statements to prove they met the requirements and those were enough to help them get approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.