Joe30

Experience with Advanced Parole?

17 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Joe30 said:

Hello All,

What have your experiences been with an approved Advanced Parole? I know only US Citizens are guaranteed entry back in, so that being said... is there a chance a person with an approved AP will have issues with entry? 

I do not think I've read or heard of anyone having an issue when returning to the US with Advanced Parole. My spouse had no issues. In theory, USCIS approves after running extensive background checks. I would imagine that you would have an issue at the port of entry if you commit a crime after you USCIS approves your AP and then that legal issue comes up on a background check at the port of entry, 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

My husband did have an issue.  One of his daughters flew from Auckland to Vancouver BC, and we drove up from Seattle to pick her up and spend a weekend in Vancouver.  Coming back across the border was fine (he had AP, she had ESTA), and I am a USC.   However, when he drove her up to YVR for the return flight, I didn't go with them because I had to work.  Coming back across (after ~ two hours total in Canada), he was harassed and detained for a bit at the Blaine crossing, and decided not to travel on the AP again.  We concluded that without the USC petitioner present, at least at that particular land crossing, CBP are more inclined to balk at AP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Joe30 said:

Hello All,

What have your experiences been with an approved Advanced Parole? I know only US Citizens are guaranteed entry back in, so that being said... is there a chance a person with an approved AP will have issues with entry? 

Why would there be a significant risk?  The whole purpose of the I-131 is to allow re-entry.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@Joe30

One similar thread has been removed.  Please do not post multiple threads regarding the same question.  Please keep all related questions under this thread.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joe30 said:

Hello All,

Yes, just as there’s a chance a person with  only a green card will have issues with entry. The purpose of AP is to travel..if it wasn’t valid there would be no such thing. You should be as “worried” to travel with AP as you would be with a green card. I.e. if traveling with a green card DOESN’T make you nervous- then traveling with AP shouldn’t make you nervous as well. 🙂 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

@Joe30

One similar thread has been removed.  Please do not post multiple threads regarding the same question.  Please keep all related questions under this thread.

Sorry about that. I am new to this. Duely noted though. 

so to my other question, can one travel in and out with approved AP after visa expiration?

1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

Yes, just as there’s a chance a person with  only a green card will have issues with entry. The purpose of AP is to travel..if it wasn’t valid there would be no such thing. You should be as “worried” to travel with AP as you would be with a green card. I.e. if traveling with a green card DOESN’T make you nervous- then traveling with AP shouldn’t make you nervous as well. 🙂 

They are not exactly the same though.  Advance Parole holders are not yet permanent residents.

59 minutes ago, Joe30 said:

can one travel in and out with approved AP

In theory.  But I would be careful with many entries/exits.  It is not equivalent to a US passport.

@Joe30 just wanted to mention that my husband traveled by himself and he had no issues. Of course, he had to go to secondary inspection. They asked him a few questions like why I did not traveled with him. That was really it. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

They are not exactly the same though.  Advance Parole holders are not yet permanent residents.

I understand they aren’t the same - I guess I was just trying to say there’s no guarantee for green card holders either- so if you are that concerned with traveling with AP then I would imagine you would/should have the same concern as traveling with a GC. So many people post they are concerned/worried traveling with AP but that’s the whole point- to be able to travel until you are granted a GC- but even then only US citizens are guaranteed entry.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread moved to Working and Traveling, from AOS from WOrk, Student and Tourist VIsas~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I had to go to secondary and wait. They just need to check your information through the system and it's slow. They ask you some basic questions (e.g. where do you live? where do you work?). 

I think that if you have a second flight, it's important to take into consideration that getting in is going to take you a bit more than normal. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

To the assertion that LPRs are not guaranteed entry.  This is false. See

https://www.aila.org/File/Related/18110604b.pdf

Are there issues with using AP? Absolutely.  Nearly every use of AP requires a secondary inspection. These can range from under 5 minutes of delay to over three hours (which was the case for my wife the first time she used it).  

Most of these inspections are non eventful except for the wait.    Some inspections do involve a verbally abusive CBP officer.  I am yet to read a single example of an alien with AP being denied entry.   https://www.***removed***/advance-parole-experiences/ Is a great place to read about experiences of people who use AP.  

One caution is that I previously read somewhere that aliens who got AP through marriage to a US person risk denial of entry if they don’t travel with their spouse, unless they were traveling solo to their country of citizenship to visit family.  I haven’t been able relocate the web page for that.  However my wife’s

second experience using AP backs that up.  

I had an international business trip in December 2019, and my wife didn’t make up her mind to join me until the less than three weeks before I was due to leave.  I gave her a choice between economy class on my flights while I was in business class (discount business class having sold out) or first class using frequent flyer miles on a separate airline.  

She picked first class.  

She returned through Abu Dhabi where CBP has a precleance station. No secondary inspection there.  But she was asked where her husband was.  I prepared her for the likelihood of this question.  

She had a copy of my itinerary and explained they were both departed Bangalore within hours of each other and he was in the air somewhere enroute to the USA.  

The CBP officer was satisfied.  

Her third use of AP was traveling with me on the same flight.  It was 30 minutes in secondary and we were separated. 

If you aren’t afraid of verbal abuse from CBP, use AP.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.