Gingerspike

Los Angeles N400 Oath Taking Ceremony Experience

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

With great joy I can now truly say today I am now an American citizen! We would have not done it correctly without the help of this wonderful community full of information and advices! Thank you so much everyone! ❤️

On May 20, Thursday, my i-751 was finally approved and on May 21, Friday, USCIS LA called me to inform me my oath taking will be on Friday, March 28. After the call, I immediately received my N445 (oath invitation and questionnaire) in my email. 

I waited for my the physical oath taking mail to come in my mailbox but only the I-751 NOA approval came. Hence, what I did is I printed the oath invite I received in the mail and answered and signed it prior to oath with the same date as the oath taking. I brought my conditional green card, the printed oath taking invite, and the formal I-751 approval NOA to the ceremony. 

Earlier today, May 28, I arrived at USCIS building at 8:30 am (my oath time is 10:30 am). This time, the line was at the left side of the building, not the courtyard. I went to see if I can line up and a guy approached me, asking me for my oath invite. I showed him the printed one and told him I don’t have the physical mail and he said it’s fine. He said I can wait on the side since it’s a bit early for me. The line is already forming halfway the building and I waited on the side but the guy went back to me and said  I can fall in line too as they might accommodate me earlier than my time. I queued as I watch them set up the canopies. 

Around 9:05 am, they started to check in people. When it’s my turn to check in, the lady asked for my oath invitation/ questionnaire and green card. She asked if I have any USCIS document issued like EAD. I said no. She then said “You only have a conditional green card. Do you have any evidence of the approval of I-751?” I am so glad the mail arrived early and I gave it to her. She then proceeded me to ask the yes/no questions, then she handed me a packet and my punched gc and oath form. She then asked me to go to the next canopy. 

Second canopy is the oath taking. They do it in batches, so there were six of us who pledge the oath of allegiance. After that, we were directed to go to the third canopy. Here you will submit the punched gc and oath form. The guy on the desk in turn looked for my certificate in their folder and handed it to me. I checked everything to make sure spelling and DOB are correct. 

Then of course, last part is the picture taking in front of the US flag. 🤣 I actually got home around 10:20 am, way before my originally scheduled oath taking time. 

I wish everyone well and good luck on your journey too and I hope my VJ posts will provide information to help you navigate all the process to become a US citizen. Peace out! 🇺🇸🇵🇭😎🤩🥳

Edited by Gingerspike

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
24 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

congratulations

Thank you! 🥰

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.