Roms

American man impregnated and abandoned his Filipina girlfriend 10 years ago

34 posts in this topic

As others have said on the citizenship side will be impossible unless the guy agrees to a DNA test.  

On the child support side if the guy lives in the PI it will take many many years, if ever, for child support to be determined.  You’ll probably spend more than you’ll ever receive back in support.  I know of 0 Filipinos paying child support and as Joe Kano said, it’s never going to happen. 

If the guy lives in the US there are no PI-US child support reciprocity laws that would aid in child support being paid. Even if the guy is listed on the BC it’s unlikely to ever happen. If he was listed and the mother of the child was able to ever relocate and reside in the US then you would have a chance. However with the father not listed paternity will need to be proven first. 

This is the sad reality of the country. There are 100s of thousands, or more, cases like yours.  What most foreigners end up doing when they meet a Pinay in this situation is they just become the father from an emotional

and financial support for the child. However I highly recommended you don’t “adopt”

the child as you can provide this support without officially adopting.  But that’s a personal situation that only you can decide.  If you were to Bring this child to the US on a K2 you’re going to be responsible anyway. 

Since this is a complicated subject I’ve left out many more details but this is a summary.  It’s basically never going to happen unless all the cards fall into the right place.  And to sour this response even more, there is an unusually high number of foreigners who are fathering children who they think are there’s but really are not. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

As others have said on the citizenship side will be impossible unless the guy agrees to a DNA test.  

On the child support side if the guy lives in the PI it will take many many years, if ever, for child support to be determined.  You’ll probably spend more than you’ll ever receive back in support.  I know of 0 Filipinos paying child support and as Joe Kano said, it’s never going to happen. 

If the guy lives in the US there are no PI-US child support reciprocity laws that would aid in child support being paid. Even if the guy is listed on the BC it’s unlikely to ever happen. If he was listed and the mother of the child was able to ever relocate and reside in the US then you would have a chance. However with the father not listed paternity will need to be proven first. 

This is the sad reality of the country. There are 100s of thousands, or more, cases like yours.  What most foreigners end up doing when they meet a Pinay in this situation is they just become the father from an emotional

and financial support for the child. However I highly recommended you don’t “adopt”

the child as you can provide this support without officially adopting.  But that’s a personal situation that only you can decide.  If you were to Bring this child to the US on a K2 you’re going to be responsible anyway. 

Since this is a complicated subject I’ve left out many more details but this is a summary.  It’s basically never going to happen unless all the cards fall into the right place. 

I think the OP is a she  and married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think the OP is a she  and married.

Ah yeah. Correct. This would apply to the friend then. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure they have any way to migrate to the US, if they had then not so much an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not sure they have any way to migrate to the US, if they had then not so much an issue.

Yes exactly. That’s the only way, at least to have a chance on getting a court order granted. Without the migration it’s not happening.  There are so many cases like this and it’s just a sad reality.  

17 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

And to sour this response even more, there is an unusually high number of foreigners who are fathering children who they think are there’s but really are not. 

They should make US Citizens going to Philippines take a class like CFO and make them aware of all the scams over in the Philippines.

5 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

They should make US Citizens going to Philippines take a class like CFO and make them aware of all the scams over in the Philippines.

Wouldn't help many. I would like to think most going there have the sense to avoid most of the scams and those that don't wouldn't learn from a class. There are those that just walk blindly into a scammer and refuse to acknowledge it until their savings is gone.

Edited by Skyman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

This would apply for almost any destination in the world.  I agree that international travelers need to be aware of scammers.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Skyman said:

Wouldn't help many. I would like to think most going there have the sense to avoid most of the scams and those that don't wouldn't learn from a class. There are those that just walk blindly into a scammer and refuse to acknowledge it until their savings is gone.

You lived over there, Tell me about this scam:

I was in Robinson Mall by US Embassy, I walked outside of mall to where they sold Cebu Pacific Ticket reseller, on my way a middle aged man and woman approached me and made some small talk and then said their daughter was suppose to go to USA on some kind of visa and wanted to know if I could answer some questions about USA, I said I got to get some airline tickets and will be back here in about one hour if she is there I can answer questions.

Hour comes and I am going back into mall and the man/woman say they would like for me to get in their car and drive to their house to meet their daughter to answer her questions, I said just call her on your phone and I will chat with her, they are being very persistent about be going with them,  After a few minutes I stopped being nice and told them if he thought I was getting in a vehicle with him and his "Wife" he had lost his mind, I finally told them to get out of my face and don't bother me again.

I thought about this later and figured they were going to drive me somewhere and hold me up at gun or knife point.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

I was in Robinson Mall by US Embassy, I walked outside of mall to where they sold Cebu Pacific Ticket reseller, on my way a middle aged man and woman approached me and made some small talk and then said their daughter was suppose to go to USA on some kind of visa and wanted to know if I could answer some questions about USA, I said I got to get some airline tickets and will be back here in about one hour if she is there I can answer questions.

Hour comes and I am going back into mall and the man/woman say they would like for me to get in their car and drive to their house to meet their daughter to answer her questions, I said just call her on your phone and I will chat with her, they are being very persistent about be going with them,  After a few minutes I stopped being nice and told them if he thought I was getting in a vehicle with him and his "Wife" he had lost his mind, I finally told them to get out of my face and don't bother me again.

I thought about this later and figured they were going to drive me somewhere and hold me up at gun or knife point.

Wow!!!!  That is scary!!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Joe Kano said:

Your spidey sense was working. It sounded fishy from the git go. I don't like Manila at all.

I am so appreciative of the informative and caring comments so far.  I would like to bring this discussion back away from addressing scammers and the like to anyone else that can offer information directly related to the topic from their direct experience or knowledge that can be of additional help related to my first posts on this topic.

There is no question that the man involved is the father.  My friend (and I) remain positive and hopeful, since the father seems well established in his community in the Philippines and is as such known and reachable.  My friend is working with an attorney in the Philippines to address paternity (which the father must declare with his signature in filing CRBA paperwork - and likely will need to be proven via DNA test) as part of the ongoing efforts to seek citizenship for my friend's daughter.  The main challenge is convincing the father to finally do something right in support of his child who is a delightful, smart, well behaved young lady.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Roms said:

I am so appreciative of the informative and caring comments so far.  I would like to bring this discussion back away from addressing scammers and the like to anyone else that can offer information directly related to the topic from their direct experience or knowledge that can be of additional help related to my first posts on this topic.

There is no question that the man involved is the father.  My friend (and I) remain positive and hopeful, since the father seems well established in his community in the Philippines and is as such known and reachable.  My friend is working with an attorney in the Philippines to address paternity (which the father must declare with his signature in filing CRBA paperwork - and likely will need to be proven via DNA test) as part of the ongoing efforts to seek citizenship for my friend's daughter.  The main challenge is convincing the father to finally do something right in support of his child who is a delightful, smart, well behaved young lady.

A paternity test.......That is step #1..........until that is done, there IS a question as to who the father is....period.  Come back after she has established that.

Edited by Lucky Cat

On 5/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, flicks1998 said:

I know of 0 Filipinos paying child support and as Joe Kano said, it’s never going to happen. 

If the guy lives in the US there are no PI-US child support reciprocity laws that would aid in child support being paid. Even if the guy is listed on the BC it’s unlikely to ever happen. 

Is this why they say "It's More Fun In The Philippines"?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.