David & Diana R

Married in PI 2013-Divorced in USA 2021- Marry Again?

119 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Prisonmate said:

If you marry her outside the Philippines, prepared to pay for her parents and family airfare and hotel and other travel expenses. Most young filipina getting marry for the first time, wants her family to be there when she gets marry.  Oh by the way, if she and her family don't have a passport, prepare to pay for those other travel documents.

Especially since the fiancee and family seem to be extremely conservative. They are likely going to want a wedding with the works and relatives to the X degree in attendance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Especially since the fiancee and family seem to be extremely conservative. They are likely going to want a wedding with the works and relatives to the X degree in attendance.

Yes, I've have gone through this once and a second time in the near future. LOL

They have this custom to list people (family members and friends) in the Wedding Program Sheet as "Sponsors". However, none pays anything toward the wedding costs. It seems like it's their way of making someone feel important .  I guess it's the same logic they have when they ask anyone they know to be "Godparents" to their children. The more "Godparents" the more gifts they will receive.

Just now, Prisonmate said:

Yes, I've have gone through this once and a second time in the near future. LOL

They have this custom to list people (family members and friends) in the Wedding Program Sheet as "Sponsors". However, none pays anything toward the wedding costs. It seems like it's their way of making someone feel important .  I guess it's the same logic they have when they ask anyone they know to be "Godparents" to their children. The more "Godparents" the more gifts they will receive.

That's odd, I'm Filipino and I always understood that wedding sponsors have to contribute money towards the cost of the wedding. I've been a both a wedding sponsor and a godparent, and I gifted cash.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My first wedding in Manila, I paid for everything. My ex-wife had certain relatives of hers on the Wedding Program sheet. Some that attended the wedding receptions were no one she knew as they were friends of people that were invited. I was told by her that was the norm in the Philippines. I expect my next wedding in the Philippines will be the same. It is what it is.

In your case, you have more class and self respect for yourself and better upbringing.

Well, thanks.

To return to the original topic, OP should definitely be aware that wedding norms aren't the same across Filipino families, but given what he's described about his fiancee and her family, he should be prepared for some significant wedding and travel expenses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, Paul & Mary said:

We were married in Hong Kong and did the ROM there but had to wait for the recorded copy from Manilla.  We did s DCF so we were way off the normal path.    When I made the trip to Ciudad Juarez the USCIS specifically looked for the ROM along with my divorce papers.   Mary doesn't recall it coming up at the interview. 

If you have any questions about Hong Kong marriages I am happy to answer. It was super easy for us.

Sorry late reply: Any ideas on who I contact in Hong Kong to arrange the marriage ahead of time so we don't have to stay there for weeks on end? (Yes, I was a boy scout, always prepared) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David O Aloha and Mahalo

On 6/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, top_secret said:

We got married in Costa Rica in December and it could not have possibly been any easier.  We paid around $550 for the lawyer/notary to handle everything from start to delivery of certified and apostilled marriage certificate.  The ONLY documents required were scans of our passports e-mailed in advance.   Literally, that was the only documents required. Self-affidavits of singleness and whatever other documentary requirements were rolled into the lawyers fee.   We really didn't have to do a single thing except pay money and appear for the ceremony and sign stuff.  The I-130 petition from that Costa Rica marriage is already approved in record time, so it has USCIS's stamp of approval.  One interesting feature of Costa Rica Marriage Certificates is that they can be instantly authenticated by anyone on the Governments official Civil Registry website which must make highly reliable authentication of marriages very easy for USCIS. 

Can you direct me to the lawyer you guys used?  Or anything else?  550 seems reasonable to me

Aloha, David O

On 6/2/2021 at 7:22 AM, Adventine said:

Well, thanks.

To return to the original topic, OP should definitely be aware that wedding norms aren't the same across Filipino families, but given what he's described about his fiancee and her family, he should be prepared for some significant wedding and travel expenses.

My fiances family have given me permission to take her out of country because they understand that we can't be married in the Philippines.  Of course I will have to go to her home town (province) for a few days before we fly off together to prove to the family that I am serious and legit.  We spend lots of time chatting online with her family member present.  We are hoping to have a "blessing" back in her hometown after we are married overseas and plan on about 100 guests for a reception. Very affordable in the Philippines.  Thanks for the input.

Aloha, David O

33 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Sorry late reply: Any ideas on who I contact in Hong Kong to arrange the marriage ahead of time so we don't have to stay there for weeks on end? (Yes, I was a boy scout, always prepared) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David O Aloha and Mahalo

You need to send the Notice of Intent so that it arrives about 3 weeks before you want to marry.  Technically it is 15 days before the date you want to have the Certifiate to Celebrate your Marriage issued.  https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/marriage/Registration_of_a_Marriage.html#a  We had our marriage at the Cotton Tree Registry.   The trick is getting the fee paid in HK Dollars.   I was able to get a Bank Cheque from Catahy Bank while in Los Angeles and send the whole packet via Fedex.   You show up at the Immigration office forthe marriage certificate with your original documents and the issue you the Certificate to take to the registry.   We got out certirifcate on Tuesday, married on Friday and had the report of marriage at the consulate on Sunday.  I think the Marriage Registration and Certificate was 305hkd and we ordered 4 more certified copies that we picked up a few week later.   You do need 2 witnesses but you can always find someone at the registry willing to help.   It was all pretty simple.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You need to send the Notice of Intent so that it arrives about 3 weeks before you want to marry.  Technically it is 15 days before the date you want to have the Certifiate to Celebrate your Marriage issued.  https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/marriage/Registration_of_a_Marriage.html#a  We had our marriage at the Cotton Tree Registry.   The trick is getting the fee paid in HK Dollars.   I was able to get a Bank Cheque from Catahy Bank while in Los Angeles and send the whole packet via Fedex.   You show up at the Immigration office forthe marriage certificate with your original documents and the issue you the Certificate to take to the registry.   We got out certirifcate on Tuesday, married on Friday and had the report of marriage at the consulate on Sunday.  I think the Marriage Registration and Certificate was 305hkd and we ordered 4 more certified copies that we picked up a few week later.   You do need 2 witnesses but you can always find someone at the registry willing to help.   It was all pretty simple.

Awesome, thanks for the tips.  Yeah I just wasted two weeks thinking we could marry in Bali but that turns into a nightmare because they have archaic regulations regarding marriage. Like the Philippines

Mahalo, David O

Edited by David & Zoila

4 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Awesome, thanks for the tips.  Yeah I just wasted two weeks thinking we could marry in Bali but that turns into a nightmare because they have archaic regulations regarding marriage. Like the Philippines

Mahalo, David O

Now you just need to both be able to get there. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

Now you just need to both be able to get there. 

Yeah I know and Duterte seems to change the rules on an hourly basis. I have been vaccinated but my fiance has not.  She is trying to find the vaccine in PI but so far has no luck.(No surprise) It would be a disaster if we managed to get to Honk Kong and then the Philippines wouldn't let her return due to a lack of vaccination. 

46 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Can you direct me to the lawyer you guys used?  Or anything else?  550 seems reasonable to me

https://costaricamarriageofficiants.com  The only difficult part about Costa Rica is the flights are long. But easy to do on a Filipino Passport without any visas.  immigration and everything else is very easy.

AFIK Hong Kong is still closed to most non-residents and seems unlikely to allow in American or Filipino tourists any time soon.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

1 minute ago, top_secret said:

https://costaricamarriageofficiants.com  The only difficult part about Costa Rica is the flights are long. But easy to do on a Filipino Passport without any visas.  immigration and everything else is very easy.

AFIK Hong Kong is still closed to most non-residents and seems unlikely to allow in American or Filipino tourists any time soon.

1 minute ago, top_secret said:

Well... that sucks.  We are hoping for August or September or at the very latest early October. I have flight reservations to arrive in PI on Aug 12 and depart PI on Oct 15.  Hopefully things open up in time.  Or we will have no choice but to hold off and plan a second visit to do the marriage/wedding ceremony.

Aloha, David O

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I always took direct flight from BWI to CR (period of 2 years dating). Also, we were lucky that my partner worked there or we would never be able to be together. It took 3 years.

Edited by AllaR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.