David & Diana R

Married in PI 2013-Divorced in USA 2021- Marry Again?

119 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, angeljolie said:

met her fiance in Maldives and got married online (there are a few out there that are legit) while they were there. They are now processing her CR1 visa.

Just want to highlight this important point -- the couple must have evidence that they were physically present in the same location after the ceremony in order for an online marriage to be valid for US immigration purposes.

For the OP and his fiancee, they still need to find a way to meet in a third country if they want to consider going through an online marriage ceremony.  Or wait for the Philippines to open up for tourism (not happening anytime soon).

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Okay so (if her family allowed it) could we do a fiance visa?  Would the Philippines allow that? I'm sorry but I am getting really confused.  And I am not talking about getting married next week but I am trying to prepare if things continue as they have...

19 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Just want to highlight this important point -- the couple must have evidence that they were physically present in the same location after the ceremony in order for an online marriage to be valid for US immigration purposes.

For the OP and his fiancee, they still need to find a way to meet in a third country if they want to consider going through an online marriage ceremony.  Or wait for the Philippines to open up for tourism (not happening anytime soon).

Yes, the marriage has to be consummated.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

2 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

(if her family allowed it) could we do a fiance visa?

Not until you have met in person and have the documentary evidence to prove it.  Because the Philippines is unlikely to allow entry to tourists anytime soon, you may still need to find a way to meet abroad.  No in-person meeting = no petitioning for US immigration.

5 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Would the Philippines allow that?

The Philippine government will have no say in you petitioning for your fiancee.  The government's involvement will only be the CFO tele-counseling that your fiancee must undertake after she gets her US visa.  She's not likely to have any issues with the CFO as long you submit a copy of your US divorce decree.

10 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes, you can get that letter and it used to be good to go. Unfortunately many LGUs are requiring the American to get a CENOMAR now to process the marriage paperwork. So you only have 3 routes to go right now and they are:

1. Do a annulment which takes about 2 years on average and $5-6k USD. 

2. Have the Philippine government recognize the divorce which can take about a year. 

3. Have her travel abroad and then get married somewhere else. 

Here is the answer 

11 hours ago, Chancy said:

Because of COVID travel restrictions, other Asian countries will probably not be an option now.  I recommend Costa Rica instead.  Both PH and US citizens can travel and enter visa-free and get married there.  That worked for VJ member @top_secret and his Filipina wife --

If Philippines doesn't open up by October/November time frame I will take a trip to Costa Rica and get a feel for the country.

That would be my plan to meet a pinay face to face and get some lambing lambing time.  

7 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Okay so (if her family allowed it) could we do a fiance visa?  Would the Philippines allow that? I'm sorry but I am getting really confused.  And I am not talking about getting married next week but I am trying to prepare if things continue as they have...

Yes, you can do a fiance visa because the Philippines has no say in this manner at all. Why won't the family not want that?

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes, you can do a fiance visa because the Philippines has no say in this manner at all. Why won't the family not want that?

Probably for the possibility of a test drive before the actual marriage.

Finally done.

3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

She comes from a are very devout Catholic family. She is a province girl and is "very innocent", if you know what I mean.  Plus, she and her family would like to celebrate a wedding in the province from where she comes, as would I.   I talked to her mother and father on video yesterday and explained the situation to them.  They both stated that they trusted me and would allow their daughter to travel with me prior to our wedding under the current circumstances.  It looks like I will be filing a K-1 once we have met in person, whenever that may be.  The preferred option of meeting and marrying in another country doesn't look so great at this point due to Covid plus the Philippines possibly not allowing her to leave her home country for a vacation.  (Not sure which countries allow two foreigners to marry.)

David O

11 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

So sorry if I did not know your story.  You just said "she divorced me" earlier.

However, that does not change the fact that it is a bad idea to speak of marriage before you have physically met someone.  I don't think you will find many people who think that is a good idea.  

Sound advice whatever the country.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

1 hour ago, Talako said:

1 hour ago, Talako said:

You hit the proverbial nail on the head.  She is "very innocent", plus add to that I am a hopeless romantic and also dream of having a beautiful wedding and reception in her home country. (This "wedding" in the Philippines will not take place until after we are married of course, whether in another country or the USA after a the K-1 visa has been processed and we have been married here.)  I respect her so much and only want the best for her.

3 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

She comes from a are very devout Catholic family. She is a province girl and is "very innocent", if you know what I mean.  Plus, she and her family would like to celebrate a wedding in the province from where she comes, as would I.   I talked to her mother and father on video yesterday and explained the situation to them.  They both stated that they trusted me and would allow their daughter to travel with me prior to our wedding under the current circumstances.  It looks like I will be filing a K-1 once we have met in person, whenever that may be.  The preferred option of meeting and marrying in another country doesn't look so great at this point due to Covid plus the Philippines possibly not allowing her to leave her home country for a vacation.  (Not sure which countries allow two foreigners to marry.)

David O

She can go many countries, you just meet her there and spend some face time with her and file the K1 or CR1 visa

Last I remember there are like 66 countries she get visit with her passport.

4 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

She can go many countries, you just meet her there and spend some face time with her and file the K1 or CR1 visa

Any idea where I can find this list?  I spoke to a friend in Thailand and he said he would be very surprised if the government there would allow two foreigners to marry there.  He also added that Thailand is making it almost impossible right now for tourists to visit there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.