David & Diana R

Married in PI 2013-Divorced in USA 2021- Marry Again?

119 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

No, there does not have to be a local workaround.  There simply isn't.  What you suggest above, fits what has already been suggested, but that is not a "local" workaround.  If her family won't allow her to spend the night with you before you're married, they certainly won't allow her to travel out of the country with you alone.  They'll want at least a family member to go with you, if not several family members.

Please re-read my message it say's "Legal work around".  You are very hostile and always have been.  I don't understand your attitude.  I am merely searching for answers on how I can marry the love of my life.  I am not attacking you but you seen to be angry at me like I'm trying to cheat or hire a fixer.  That is not my position.  But I will not take your harsh replies personally because I have seen you attack many others over the last several years.  Lighten up, I am only looking for help.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

Please re-read my message it say's "Legal work around".  You are very hostile and always have been.  I don't understand your attitude.  I am merely searching for answers on how I can marry the love of my life.  I am not attacking you but you seen to be angry at me like I'm trying to cheat or hire a fixer.  That is not my position.  But I will not take your harsh replies personally because I have seen you attack many others over the last several years.  Lighten up, I am only looking for help.

Nobody is attacking you.  I'm giving you correct news and you don't like the news.  You have your answers.  Now, you need a plan.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Does anyone know what countries nearby allow two foreighners to come and marry there?  Does anyone know about requirments?  etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

42 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

To get a CENOMAR you would need an annulment.

OP will never again be able to get a CENOMAR as there is already an existing marriage record in the PSA.  That record will not be erased with an annulment or a court-recognition of divorce, but it will be annotated.  OP could probably get an annotated CEMAR indicating termination of the previous marriage, assuming OP goes through all the procedures to be able to register that marriage termination to PSA.

21 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The folks I know here who married in this situation, married in a third country. 

That is what I would recommend in this situation as well.  Working out the logistics of getting people able to travel and getting married abroad would be much simpler and faster than going through the lengthy court proceedings to get the Philippine government to recognize termination of a marriage registered locally.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

OP will never again be able to get a CENOMAR as there is already an existing marriage record in the PSA.  That record will not be erased with an annulment or a court-recognition of divorce, but it will be annotated.  OP could probably get an annotated CEMAR indicating termination of the previous marriage, assuming OP goes through all the procedures to be able to register that marriage termination to PSA.

Correct.  Same thing a widow or widower would get.  The necessary document in this situation is not a CENOMAR per se.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

24 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

You are very hostile and always have been.

No one is being hostile.  It may sound harsh to you, but we are simply trying to make you aware of the reality of your situation with regard to what is allowed under Philippine law.  Also, it's not surprising that you are not aware of this as most people I know (even Filipinos!) do get shocked when they find out that the Philippines does not automatically recognize the validity of divorces abroad for those who married locally.

I've already advised you of what it would take if you want to get married again in the Philippines -- get a local court to recognize your foreign divorce.  That could take years and possibly hundreds of thousands of pesos.  Other than that, there is no workaround that you can pursue in the Philippines because PSA records are forever.  That is why we suggest getting married abroad, which will be just as acceptable for US immigration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

No one is being hostile.  It may sound harsh to you, but we are simply trying to make you aware of the reality of your situation with regard to what is allowed under Philippine law.  Also, it's not surprising that you are not aware of this as most people I know (even Filipinos!) do get shocked when they find out that the Philippines does not automatically recognize the validity of divorces abroad for those who married locally.

I've already advised you of what it would take if you want to get married again in the Philippines -- get a local court to recognize your foreign divorce.  That could take years and possibly hundreds of thousands of pesos.  Other than that, there is no workaround that you can pursue in the Philippines because PSA records are forever.  That is why we suggest getting married abroad, which will be just as acceptable for US immigration.

I am definitely not sure and throwing this idea but maybe she could travel to US via tourist visa, marry in US, then she goes back to Philippines to wait for spousal visa?

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry&Koala said:

I am definitely not sure and throwing this idea but maybe she could travel to US via tourist visa, marry in US, then she goes back to Philippines to wait for spousal visa?

Yes, that's definitely possible.  I'm 100% sure a Philippine citizen can go the US on a tourist visa, get married, return, then pursue a spouse visa because that's exactly what I'm doing now (we're at NVC stage!) :D

But, unlike me, it doesn't seem like the OP's fiancee already has a valid US tourist visa.  Although her chances of being granted a visa would depend on her personal circumstances, I must say that it will be tough for a single Philippine woman of working age and with a US citizen fiance to be approved for a tourist visa.  Also, if it will be her first time to apply, the earliest available B visa interview slots at the US embassy are scheduled for April 2022.  Might be to far out for the OP's plans.

1 hour ago, David & Zoila said:

Does anyone know what countries nearby allow two foreighners to come and marry there?

Because of COVID travel restrictions, other Asian countries will probably not be an option now.  I recommend Costa Rica instead.  Both PH and US citizens can travel and enter visa-free and get married there.  That worked for VJ member @top_secret and his Filipina wife --

2 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Someone told me that I could get a letter from the US Embassy in Manila that shows I am now single and able to marry again.  I had to do this the first time around in Cebu at the US Consular office.  I had to swear that I had not been previously married and they gave me a document that satisfied the Philippine government.    

Yes, you can get that letter and it used to be good to go. Unfortunately many LGUs are requiring the American to get a CENOMAR now to process the marriage paperwork. So you only have 3 routes to go right now and they are:

1. Do a annulment which takes about 2 years on average and $5-6k USD. 

2. Have the Philippine government recognize the divorce which can take about a year. 

3. Have her travel abroad and then get married somewhere else. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the Philippines regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

2 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

And how did that work out for you?

I'm going to say what nobody else is saying.  Planning to marry someone you have never met is a bad plan.  Sounds like you have had at least two divorces and now you MAY be setting yourself up for another.

Sorry for the bluntness but if you ask for advice on a public forum, that is the way it is.

To seekingthetruth:  It worked out fantastic!  God, some of you people are so judgmental and condescending.  I was married to a beautiful woman who essentially lost her mind after giving birth to our second child when she died immediately following childbirth.  They managed to bring her back and saved her life but she underwent a radical hysterectomy and she refused to take the hormone medications as prescribed by her doctor.  Hence the start of a downward spiral.  You see she became a completely different person.  I still loved her when she sued me for divorce.  I never saw it coming. But there are two things that came about from that union, our two beautiful children.  And I would do it all again for my two children.  So be careful when you judge others...sometimes you have no idea how hurtful and harmful your words can be.  So you ask: And how did that work out for you?  It worked out great!  

If you do get the chance to marry abroad, it would be hard to get a "ceremonial" wedding here in the Philippines because a lot of (if not all) churches now require a civil wedding in the Philippines first if either or both parties have been married before. 

What you can probably do is let her get a passport and meet her (and her relative) in a third country. Get to know each other well, take photos. If you are still determined to marry her after that meeting, then start the k1 process.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

5 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Does anyone know what countries nearby allow two foreighners to come and marry there?  Does anyone know about requirments?  etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I chanced upon someone on Facebook who met her fiance in Maldives and got married online (there are a few out there that are legit) while they were there. They are now processing her CR1 visa. She said their marriage is registered in Utah. It's also something you can explore.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.