David & Diana R

Married in PI 2013-Divorced in USA 2021- Marry Again?

119 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, David & Zoila said:

I have flight reservations to arrive in PI on Aug 12 and depart PI on Oct 15.

I would say it is probably a long shot that you would be allowed into the Philippines by then unless you have a preexisting SRRV Visa or something.  Certainly you would not be able to get in without some kind of visa and probably an unobtainable waiver too under current rules.   It would require a major policy change by the Philippines between now and Aug for that to happen.   If you did make it into the Philippines maybe this would be a case where one of those Utah zoom weddings might make sense.

5 minutes ago, AllaR said:

I always took direct flight from BWI to CR (period of 2 years dating). Also, we were lucky that my partner worked there or we would never be able to be together. It took 3 years.

Getting to Costa Rica from the US is incredibly easy.  Getting there from the Philippines without visas is not that difficult but is a much much longer trip.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

29 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I would say it is probably a long shot that you would be allowed into the Philippines by then unless you have a preexisting SRRV Visa or something.  Certainly you would not be able to get in without some kind of visa and probably an unobtainable waiver too under current rules.   It would require a major policy change by the Philippines between now and Aug for that to happen.   If you did make it into the Philippines maybe this would be a case where one of those Utah zoom weddings might make sense.

Getting to Costa Rica from the US is incredibly easy.  Getting there from the Philippines without visas is not that difficult but is a much much longer trip.

UTAH zoom weddings?  Where do I get info?

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Google 

Just read an article.  But does USCIS accept online virtual marriages now? I know a few years back they did not. Has that changed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, David & Zoila said:

Just read an article.  But does USCIS accept online virtual marriages now? I know a few years back they did not. Has that changed?

They always have, still requires consummation 

YMMV

17 minutes ago, payxibka said:

They always have, still requires consummation 

Consummation before, during or after??  Hahaha  I think we can get that taken care of once we are married. 😁

So in theory we could get married virtually in "Utah" legally while we are both in the Philippines?  We could then have a virtual wedding ceremony in wedding garb in the Philippines?  With her friends and family present?  In a wedding gown and an "official wedding with bridesmaids, etc??  I know USCIS has in the past seen photos of a wedding and it has been a problem but I suppose that would only apply if we were applying for a fiance visa.  So here is what I am thinking, I get to the Philippines, we arrange for a UTAH virtual wedding.  We all log in from my fiances home town and get legally married and this will not be a problem for USCIS?   We could then have what appears to be a wedding in the Philippines (makes her friends and family very happy) which will actually be recorded in Utah.  Sonds like the best of both worlds.  We don't have to leave the Philippines then.  Am I crazy or is my thinking straight on this matter?

9 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Am I crazy or is my thinking straight on this matter?

Sounds like it would work. Of course you will need to wait until you are able to travel there. Make sure that you get all the info that you can about the virtual wedding to make sure that you are not missing anything.

12 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Sounds like it would work. Of course you will need to wait until you are able to travel there. Make sure that you get all the info that you can about the virtual wedding to make sure that you are not missing anything.

Aloha Ruben, 

I just realized this was you.  This is your friend from Maui, David.  Gonna try it again.  Once, if ever the Philippines opens again.  Good luck on your progress.

18 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

Aloha Ruben, 

I just realized this was you.  This is your friend from Maui, David.  Gonna try it again.  Once, if ever the Philippines opens again.  Good luck on your progress.

That could be sometime in 2023 before they open back up.  I am hoping sometime in early to mid 2022.

8 hours ago, LU SEE FURR said:

That could be sometime in 2023 before they open back up.  I am hoping sometime in early to mid 2022.

Please understand I am wondering where you are getting your information from.  Of course, I hope you are wrong but maybe you know something I don't.  I have heard that the PI is working on allowing foreigners in who are fully vaccinated to enter and this hopefully will happen by July 1 to mid-July..I hope you are wrong.  Of course no one knows because PI keeps changing the rules daily.  I just saw an article that less than 3% of Filipinos have been vaccinated to date.  That is a terrible track record and it's no wonder the pandemic is out of control there right now.  Of course I, having been vaccinated, cannot bring the disease to the Philippines nor can I catch it nor can I transmit it to anyone else.  So Duterte is losing his mind as his people literally starve and suffer. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

CFO CLASS Here's another problem with the Philippines???

1. Two (2) original valid identification cards with photograph (see samples below);(Got these)
  2. Duly completed guidance and counseling form to be secured at the CFO;
  3. If married in the Philippines, original Certificate of Marriage on security paper from the Philippine Statistical Authority (PSA);
  4. If married overseas, original Report of Marriage duly registered by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate or the Department of Foreign Affairs; (Oh, Oh. CFO requires PI registration of marriage even if married overseas! (Utah Zoom wedding while we are both in Philippines. Wedding Officiant will be physically present in Utah county as required by law.)
  5. Payment of PhP400.00 counseling and registration fee.

Additional documents may be required in the event that the counselor determines it to be essential to complete the guidance and counseling process. It is advised for all the GCP applicants to prepare the following documents (if applicable to them) in advance and bring these documents when they come to CFO:

1. Divorce decree/certificate (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if previously married) (I have this)
  2. Annulment paper (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if previously married) (I do not have this, married in PI 2012 Divorced in USA 2020)
  3. Proof of residency/Alien Registration Card-ARC (of foreign spouse)
  4. Proof of relationship (picture together, e-mails, among others)( Will have these once I get to PI)
  5. Death certificate (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if widow/widower)
  6. Certificate of Family relations / registration (of foreign spouse)

Additional registration requirements for those with visa:

1. Original valid passport;
  2. Original valid visa
  3. Original Immigrant Data Summary (please do not detach fromyellow packet) for US-bound emigrants, except for K visa holders;
  4. Original Confirmation of Permanent Residencefor Canada-bound emigrants;
  5. Original Visa Grant Notice for Australia-bound emigrants;
  6. Original Certificate of Eligibility for Japan-bound emigrants;
  7. Original CFO Guidance and Counseling Certificate (if already attended the GCP); and
  8. Duly completed emigrant registration form.

Why is it that the Philippines has to control the entire world?  They have their hands in everything...probably yet another revenue stream for the PI not including all the monies paid to fixers.  If they require PI registration of marriage conducted via zoom in Utah I am screwed. They will see that I am married in the Philippines already even though I am officially single and  DIVORCED (USA divorce) in every other country on the planet.  What if we do zoom wedding as planned and PI refuses to give her CFO class because the marriage is not registered in the Philippines? Then we will really be screwed because USCIS will recognize us as being married, if we even get to that point and Philippines will not give my fiance the CFO class?????

Any help is appreciated,  Aloha,  David O 

2 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

4. If married overseas, original Report of Marriage duly registered by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate or the Department of Foreign Affairs; (Oh, Oh. CFO requires PI registration of marriage even if married overseas! (Utah Zoom wedding while we are both in Philippines. Wedding Officiant will be physically present in Utah county as required by law.)

You would need to do ROM in the Consulate that serves the region that includes Utah. I don't know for sure but I am guessing the Consulate in CO.

2 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

5. Annulment paper (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if previously married) (I do not have this, married in PI 2012 Divorced in USA 2020)

I don't know for sure but since you have a divorce decree in America, and your new marriage would be in America, you should only have to submit the divorce decree for CFO purposes. I did not see CENOMAR/CEMAR listed as requirements in CFO so they would never know your previous wife and you were married in the Philippines.

By looking at this link I think you would be able to do ROM

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/civil-reg1stry-2/report-of-marriage-of-a-filipino-abroad

The only requirement I see for annulment is if you are Filipino.

40 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

You would need to do ROM in the Consulate that serves the region that includes Utah. I don't know for sure but I am guessing the Consulate in CO.

40 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I don't know for sure but since you have a divorce decree in America, and your new marriage would be in America, you should only have to submit the divorce decree for CFO purposes. I did not see CENOMAR/CEMAR listed as requirements in CFO so they would never know your previous wife and you were married in the Philippines.

Looks like Sad Francisco to me...yet another hellhole and armpit of the world...

San Francisco, CA

447 Sutter St, 6th Floor, San Francisco CA 94108

Tel: 415.433.6666 | Fax: 415.421.2641

Jurisdiction: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Northern California, Northern Nevada, Utah, Washington State, Wyoming

But whichever consulate we register the "marriage abroad" it will be Philippines consulate.  Isn't someone going to check somewhere along the way and they will see I am (according to the draconian laws of the PI) still married in the PI?  My fiance has a CENOMAR already.  This is all so confusing...Philippines is one gigantic Mongolian clus$#@f&&k!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.