6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dear All, 

Today I attended my N400 interview. It's been a long journey for my husband and myself and we're happy that it's now done and dusted. I got approved!! It was a mixed feeling of relieved and disbelieved. Here's the detail that hopefully help some of you who are preparing for a N400 Interview.

Here's a brief timeline: 

September 2019 - Submitted I751

September 2020 - Submitted N400 (with I751 currently pending)

April 2021 - Interview Scheduled

May 2021 - Attended N400 interview

It was my understanding that I would only be interviewed for my N-400 application as what written on the notice. After reading posts here and there I conclude that I'm the only person required to attend the interview. But on the side of cautions I wrote to USCIS through the My.USCIS.gov portal on May 9, confirming that my husband is not required to attend the interview. I received a response on the evening May 20, one day before my actual interview, stating that I'm the only person required to attend the interview. 

Fast forward to this morning. After waiting for approx. 30-45 minutes they finally called my name. The agent proceed to asked me "Where is your spouse?" I explained that he's currently in a hospital for a heart surgery. The agent was clearly not pleased with my answer. He proceed to tell me that I have an open application (i-751 pending and n-400) so my spouse is required to attend the interview. It was like a 100 punch in my stomach. I went on to explain that I wrote in the USCIS portal regarding who is required to attend the interview and received a respand yada-yada yada... The agent was still NOT pleased... I was sh!ting bricks by this time.

Long story short, my interview was a tough one. I was grilled for 30  minutes. At the end of the interview he asked if I had anything to add before we move on, I took this as a license to kill. I pour my heart out about my husband and my relationship, our life, and our journey. By the end of my speech my head hurts. I was emotional & was imagining the worst possible outcome.The agent finally said that he will give me 5 minute to collect myself before moving on to the N400 interview. I went to the bathroom and washed my face. Man, I was wrecked. The agent invited me back to the interview room, and he kind of apologize about the grilling, he's making sure that my case was legit and true per my application. I told him I understand.

My N400 interview on the other hand was such a breeze. The 6 civic questions, writing, and reading tests were EASY! The yes/no question was tedious, stressful but easy. 

The agent then asked if I'd like to change my name, I said no. He asked me to check my name / details on a iPad all was correct. He then excused himself to get some stuff. I was sitting there alone, I felt like I just received a death sentence. The agent returned, typed some stuff on his computer, looked at me and said, "I'm going to approve your case." I died..... I was in such disbelief... I started to get teary eyed. I told him I'm sorry for being so emotional. 

He then printed my oath ceremony notice while I collect my belonging. I met him outside his office, he passed me the notice, explained what I should do, congratulated me, gave me an elbow shake / elbow bump, and he wished me the best for my husband. 

Moral of the story, if you have a pending I-751 and are summoned for N400 interview based on marriage to a US citizen, bring your spouse with you. You both should take a day off of work and celebrate (safely) after. 

I'm coming back to the building for my oath ceremony next week. I'm sorry if there's something in this post that is unclear, I'm still in a daze. 

Good luck everyone. Have a safe and healthy Spring/Summer. 

Best, 

J/G

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations!!! You can now finally breath! I remember I provided you a long answer on whether or not to bring your husband with you but I am so glad it ended well. 

I will also have my Oath Taking Ceremony scheduled next week (date below). We may or may not see each other there, lol! I am so happy for you. 

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Gingerspike said:

Congratulations!!! You can now finally breath! I remember I provided you a long answer on whether or not to bring your husband with you but I am so glad it ended well. 

I will also have my Oath Taking Ceremony scheduled next week (date below). We may or may not see each other there, lol! I am so happy for you. 

Hello, THANK YOU! I’ll have my ceremony on the 26th. Two days ahead of yours. Good luck and congratulations! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, J/G said:

Hello, THANK YOU! I’ll have my ceremony on the 26th. Two days ahead of yours. Good luck and congratulations! 

Thank you and congrats again! I watched a youtube video of one lady who did her oath in LA around March. She said her husband who was taking the oath with her was asked to get a pic in Walgreens since officer did not get his pic at the time of interview. 

Can you let me know your oath taking ceremony experience as soon as you can pls? I am planning to bring passport photos so I will not run to Walgreens if they don’t have my photo. 🤣🤣🤣 thank you!

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: Timeline

I had my combo interview on Friday in Los Angeles too, all went well I think but officer didn't give me Oath letter, and said to wait for an email ? And now my I751 status says Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed. He gave me a paper that says "congratulations Im recommending your case for the approval" tho
I hope they're not trying to find something on my case :(

December 2009 - First met.

February 2010 - Start of our relationship <3
January 7 2016 -Our Wedding in a romantic town of Aeroskobing <3

April 1 2016 - Sent CR1 package to RapidVisa.

April 18 2016 - CR1 Package delivered to USCIS Phoenix lock box.

April 22 2016 - Acceptance notification received by email. Case sent to Nebraska Service Center.

May 03 2016 - NOA1 hard copy received.

May 24 2016 - Return to the US to reestablish domicile.

August 3 2016 - Case transferred to Texas Service Center.

August 29 2016 - I-130 approved! (NOA2) <3 <3 <3

September 30 2016 - NVC Recieved.
November 14 2016 - Sent AOS and IV packages to Rapidvisa! :D
November 29 2016 - SCAN DATE!
February 15 2017 - Case Complete at NVC (11 weeks)
March 28 2017 - My Interview Day! :D (APPROVED!!!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

For anybody else reading this thread, if you have a pending i-751 when you go for your N-400 interview - ALWAYS bring your spouse. We've been saying this for the longest time but it still seems like people miss it. The spouse isn't needed for the N-400, but definitely should be there for the i-751.

Most never get an interview letter for the i-751, only the N-400. It's a generic letter that doesn't take into consideration that the applicant might also have a pending i-751 and therefore doesn't mention anything about bringing the spouse. 

To OP: Congrats! I had my N-400 interview in Los Angeles a couple of months ago and they're so easy to deal with there. Very nice officers and smooth interviews, that's probably why they didn't send you home again and had your interview rescheduled until your spouse could attend too (this happens more frequently at other offices). Now you're finally at the oath part, the easiest part. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.