pamawemo

Super frustrated - what did we do wrong? Passport renewal

36 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, payxibka said:

While it is BS, what the OP has is a copy of the ROM as processed by the consulate,  NOT the PSA authenticated one.

What I was commenting on as BS was the officer's claim that the OP's wife must apply for the new passport within 2 months of receiving the PSA document.  The consulate website doesn't mention any required issuance date for the PSA-authenticated ROM.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

What I was commenting on as BS was the officer's claim that the OP's wife must apply for the new passport within 2 months of receiving the PSA document.  The consulate website doesn't mention any required issuance date for the PSA-authenticated ROM.

I was commenting that the whole thing is BS

YMMV

Timeline
3 hours ago, pamawemo said:

I looked at the link above and am confused about how to receive the PSA Advisory of Marriage. It mentions needing your own FedEx account. What does that entail? 

You sign up on FedEx website (or call).  Get issued an account number that you then provide PSA to use so that you get charged for  the FedEx fees for the return shipment. 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

I have never heard that the ROM has to be within a certain amount of time in order to get a passport in the married name. That is so crazy

23 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You sign up on FedEx website (or call).  Get issued an account number that you then provide PSA to use so that you get charged for  the FedEx fees for the return shipment. 

@pamawemo this is the correct information right here. This is also the only way to actually ensure that you will in fact receive anything from the PSA if you are living here in the USA. 

Thanks, everyone, for all the good info. We will follow up with all this advice in mind. What a crazy day it was!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

8 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

This is just another reason why we never did ROM nor my wife tried to get a Philippines passport in her married name.  She is a few months out from getting her US Citizenship, we will just wait and deal with US system and not the 3rd world backward practices of the Philippines.

Does she just travel with her Philippine passport in her maiden name? I guess we would have to book the ticket in her former name. Doable I suppose. We are early in the process so US Citizenship is more than 8 years in the future.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

18 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

Does she just travel with her Philippine passport in her maiden name? I guess we would have to book the ticket in her former name.

Yes, that will work.

If she doesn't attempt another passport renewal, when she gets her GC (I assume she will want it listing her married name), she should travel with a copy of your marriage certificate.  Booking tickets will still need to match her passport name.

12 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Yes, that will work.

If she doesn't attempt another passport renewal, when she gets her GC (I assume she will want it listing her married name), she should travel with a copy of your marriage certificate.  Booking tickets will still need to match her passport name.

Good point. She does have her 2-year GC in her married name; Real ID is also in her married name. I have a feeling we will work to get the passport changed but will wait for an outreach so we don't have to travel quite so far. Thanks.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
38 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

Does she just travel with her Philippine passport in her maiden name? I guess we would have to book the ticket in her former name. Doable I suppose. We are early in the process so US Citizenship is more than 8 years in the future.

Why 8 years?

YMMV

12 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Why 8 years?

My bad. I always confuse that 2-year/10-year green card situation. She should qualify for the "3-year rule" - is that right? So many rules. I've been away from VJ enjoying normal married life. Yesterday's snafu brought me back like a slap in the face. Need to brush up again.

So she will be in the US for 3 years in March of next year. Her green card expires In May of next year. Do we still apply for Removal of Conditions?

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

3 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

So she will be in the US for 3 years in March of next year. Her green card expires In May of next year. Do we still apply for Removal of Conditions?

Yes, no escape from ROC.

Note also that the countdown for the 3-year rule for eligibility for N-400 filing starts from the "Resident since" date on her GC, not the date of her US entry.  So she will need to file for ROC first.  Then she can file her N-400 when she is eligible based on the 3-year rule, even if her ROC is still pending.

Just now, Chancy said:

Yes, no escape from ROC.

Note also that the countdown for the 3-year rule for eligibility for N-400 filing starts from the "Resident since" date on her GC, not the date of her US entry.  So she will need to file for ROC first.  Then she can file her N-400 when she is eligible based on the 3-year rule, even if her ROC is still pending.

Thanks, that makes sense. We have about 9 months to get that all figured out. More paperwork - yay.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.