7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone, 
My husbands interview is finally scheduled and we are getting our evidence together. I am a little bit worried that we don’t have enough. We are both young (22) and I am a student. We are currently living with my parents until I am done with school and have a decent paying job, which should be around January. That being said, we don’t have a joint lease. I am still on my parents health and car insurance until I move out, and my husband is not on those. He doesn’t have a license yet anyway and it was too late to add him onto the health insurance. So far the only thing we have is a joint bank account and I added him onto my phone plan. Is this going to be ok? I was planning on getting affidavits that say that he does live with me and my parents. I’m not really sure what else I can get that is proof. I also filed my taxes as married: filing separately since he did not work, so i’m not sure if I can even use my tax records as evidence?

7 minutes ago, shelbymarie02 said:

Hello everyone, 
My husbands interview is finally scheduled and we are getting our evidence together. I am a little bit worried that we don’t have enough. We are both young (22) and I am a student. We are currently living with my parents until I am done with school and have a decent paying job, which should be around January. That being said, we don’t have a joint lease. I am still on my parents health and car insurance until I move out, and my husband is not on those. He doesn’t have a license yet anyway and it was too late to add him onto the health insurance. So far the only thing we have is a joint bank account and I added him onto my phone plan. Is this going to be ok? I was planning on getting affidavits that say that he does live with me and my parents. I’m not really sure what else I can get that is proof. I also filed my taxes as married: filing separately since he did not work, so i’m not sure if I can even use my tax records as evidence?

Hi there. Why he didn't get his Drive license? If he doesn't Drive, like me, he can get his State ID. 

You can't fabricate evidence,  right? So whatever you have that shows you both are together will be all you have. 

Photos with family members,  places you visit together,  any gifts, cards from others to you both,  photos of your wedding and the documents,  etc. Even labels from shipping if shows his name and the address.

Good luck 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Paula&Johnny said:

Hi there. Why he didn't get his Drive license? If he doesn't Drive, like me, he can get his State ID. 

You can't fabricate evidence,  right? So whatever you have that shows you both are together will be all you have. 

Photos with family members,  places you visit together,  any gifts, cards from others to you both,  photos of your wedding and the documents,  etc. Even labels from shipping if shows his name and the address.

Good luck 

He does have an ID (drivers permit), but he does not have his license, which is the reason why he does not have car insurance. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, shelbymarie02 said:

Hello everyone, 

As others stated, I would just get as much evidence as you can given the situation, adding more photos may help, but in my own opinion, if married couples are living together, any question asked is going to be easy and I think that will carry more weight.  Just get what you can and dont sweat it.  In fact, when our AOS interview comes, there is nothing to think about.  Any question asked we can answer (toilet seat up or down, dirty laundry left on the floor, etc etc etc)

Im curious why you didnt add your husband to your taxes though.  It probably would have decreased your taxes and it doesnt matter if he works or not.  My now wife cant work now but she will be on my 2021 taxes for sure.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline
10 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

As others stated, I would just get as much evidence as you can given the situation, adding more photos may help, but in my own opinion, if married couples are living together, any question asked is going to be easy and I think that will carry more weight.  Just get what you can and dont sweat it.  In fact, when our AOS interview comes, there is nothing to think about.  Any question asked we can answer (toilet seat up or down, dirty laundry left on the floor, etc etc etc)

Im curious why you didnt add your husband to your taxes though.  It probably would have decreased your taxes and it doesnt matter if he works or not.  My now wife cant work now but she will be on my 2021 taxes for sure.

We used an accountant and she said that we had to file separately 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We had our interview recently and we don't have a "lease" because we're living in a house owned by one of my husband's relatives and they don't ask us to pay rent. The IO we had basically said, "since you don't really pay rent and live in your relative's house I assume you also don't have a lease?" and we nodded. We were able to file jointly though, I don't know why your accountant said to file separately--maybe your husband doesn't have his social yet? But anyway, if you have PICTURES print a lot of them. Especially the ones of you together with other family members/ friends...but I assume because of COVID you also didn't have a lot of get-togethers. Just present whatever you can and I'm sure they'll understand with all the COVID going on. Plus, you live with your parents I'm sure your parents wouldn't have allowed a "Stranger" to live with y'all if the marriage wasn't legit?

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, shelbymarie02 said:

Hello everyone, 

@shelbymarie02, there are several things you can do to show evidence of bona fide marriage:

1. you can have your husband write an affidavit of residence and have it notarized. (You can google examples). Though, if his ID shows your joint address, then the affidavit may be redundant. 
  2. Your parents may also include an affidavit stating the circumstances - "both of you live with them and you do not pay rent there" - and they may also speak to your relationship.
  3. You could include a health care directive/living will designating each other to make health care decisions for each other if one of you is unable to. I would have that notarized. Now, this document carries a lot of weight and USCIS takes it very seriously.
  4. You should list each other as emergency contacts at school or work, and print that. 
  5. I would draft a timeline of your relationship since you met and started dating. You want to show longevity here; especially if you filed for AOS right after getting married. Have it ready for the officer, and relate the timeline to events, purchases (maybe even have receipts ready and relate them to pictures).
  6. I would also go to the interview equipped with bank statements. I would highlight purchases. Be ready to explain to the officer how you two manage your expenses.
  7. I would apply for a target debit card jointly and start using it. Even if it seems like you got it right before the interview, it does not matter.
  8. Be clear on questions like - are you planning on having kids? When are you planning on having kids? How did you meet? Do you use contraception? I doubt the questions would go past that.
  9. I would print text messages between you two since the time you met. This may seem redundant but you don't have more concrete evidence. Thus, showing text messages may help.

If you have not been married for two years, then you should know that you will get a 2 year conditional green card. You will have to submit a petition to remove conditions before that green card expires. Therefore, it is a good idea to submit as much evidence as you can for AOS. That way you will have a nice trail of evidence for your petition to remove conditions. 

All the best. You should be fine. :) 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.