SpiderDuo

When sumbitting N-400, do I need to provide any documentations for my spouse?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am preparing N-400 form now, and having one question for you:

I married my spouse oversea last year, and my spouse is still living in other country now. As we know, there is one section in the form N-400 asking you to write down your spouse's information, and this is fine.

But when I submitt my application forms, do I need to provide any other supporting documentations, such as marriage certificate, for my spouse?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am confused - you just got married last year, your spouse does not live in the US, and you are applying for citizenship? I guess you are applying based on some condition other than marriage?

Download the Guide to Naturalization and read carefully. Pay particular attention to pages 48-49 - the document checklist. You need a marriage certificate if you are applying based on marriage to a US citizen.

-Tim

AOS Timeline. USA - Taiwan. Through Atlanta, GA

May 29, 2001 - Joyce & Tim Married in McDonough, GA

Jun 26, 2001 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 to Atlanta

Jul 12, 2001 - Atlanta issued receipt

Sep 06, 2001 - EAD and AP approved

--- A long quiet period ---

Oct 24, 2003 - Fingerprinting

Feb 10, 2004 - Second fingerprinting

Mar 31, 2004 - Applied for AP

Apr 13, 2004 - AP Approved

Apr 30, 2004 - AOS Interview Notice Received

May 27, 2004 - Interview in Atlanta

May 27, 2004 - Permanent Resident Stamp in passport

Jun 17, 2004 - Received Welcome To USA Letter

Jun 19, 2004 - Received Green Card!

Jun 21, 2007 - Sent N-400 application

Jul 02, 2007 - USCIS cashes our check

Jul 31, 2007 - NOA received (mailed on Jul 27)

Jul 31, 2007 - Appt letter for biometrics received (mailed on Jul 27)

Aug 09, 2007 - Biometrics appointment

Oct 09, 2007 - Received Appt Letter for Dec 20th Interview

Dec 20, 2007 - Successful interview and oath taken in Atlanta!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I am confused - you just got married last year, your spouse does not live in the US, and you are applying for citizenship? I guess you are applying based on some condition other than marriage?

Download the Guide to Naturalization and read carefully. Pay particular attention to pages 48-49 - the document checklist. You need a marriage certificate if you are applying based on marriage to a US citizen.

-Tim

Correct:

For eventual citizenship:

Residency

An applicant must have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence. Lawfully admitted for permanent residence means having been legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws. Individuals who have been lawfully admitted as permanent residents will be asked to produce an I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card, as proof of their status.

See Also INA 316

Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

• has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
  • has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year; (3 years if married to a US Citizen)
  • has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
  • has resided within a state or district for at least three months

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

SEE also: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Thanks for all of your responses. Let me make myself clear here.

After having greencard for about 5 years, I am already qualified for citizenship by myself, and my own application is not marriage based. My question is:

When I am filing for myself, shall I provide any documentaions for my spouse since N-400 does have one section that needs to be filled out for the spouse. As I know, the spouse is not qualified for citizenship at this point since she does not even have green card yet.

Ben

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

After having greencard for about 5 years, I am already qualified for citizenship by myself, and my own application is not marriage based. My question is:

When I am filing for myself, shall I provide any documentaions for my spouse since N-400 does have one section that needs to be filled out for the spouse. As I know, the spouse is not qualified for citizenship at this point since she does not even have green card yet.

Ben

N-400 instructions only say to fill in the blanks for your spouse, not that any documentation needs to be attached.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Ben

N-400 instructions only say to fill in the blanks for your spouse, not that any documentation needs to be attached.

Many thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.