andrewfromdenver

would it be worth to marry after 2 years k-1?

12 posts in this topic

or would you have to re-file for a different visa and wait for process all over again

i was talking to a friend and he thinks if visa can be adjusted maybe fly our girls to taiwan and marry via video (not legal in philippines)

but if that means start process over again i dont want to do that....especially since my case was filed aug 2019 and i am probably at front of list

i know once married it usually takes 2 years to get them here......but if it would be an "adjustment" of petition maybe results can be more immediate?

i have no idea if it would be legal.....was just talking......not sure whether to present my idea to a lawyer or not or if i will be laughed out of his office

Edited by andrewfromdenver

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, andrewfromdenver said:

or would you have to re-file for a different visa and wait for process all over again

i was talking to a friend and he thinks if visa can be adjusted maybe fly our girls to taiwan and marry via video (not legal in philippines)

but if that means start process over again i dont want to do that....especially since my case was filed aug 2019 and i am probably at front of list

i know once married it usually takes 2 years to get them here......but if it would be an "adjustment" of petition maybe results can be more immediate?

i have no idea if it would be legal.....was just talking......not sure whether to present my idea to a lawyer or not or if i will be laughed out of his office

Different visa type, Different petition.   You would start from the back of a new line.

Secondly,  a video marriage requires consummation for it to be recognized for immigration purposes 

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
29 minutes ago, andrewfromdenver said:

You need to be patience.

You don't want to start over.  Getting marry would require you to start over.

She can't adjust status, so there are no short cuts.  

COVID is raging in the Philippines.  Most places are closed.  Including the US Embassy.  This is your problem.  This is why your case can't go forward.  

Edited by aaron2020

20 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Different visa type, Different petition.   You would start from the back of a new line.

Secondly,  a video marriage requires consummation for it to be recognized for immigration purposes 

i been to philippines a few times

trust me we consumated many times 😉

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
7 minutes ago, andrewfromdenver said:

Very mature.  

Consummate for the purpose of an online marriage and US immigration means proving that both of you were in the same place after the wedding.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, andrewfromdenver said:

How does one consumate a marriage BEFORE it happens? 

More simply put, you need to be face to face AFTER the marriage occurs.

Got it?

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, andrewfromdenver said:

lol, that's funny as hell.

Also the USEM MNL is NOT Closed

I will say up front that I do not recommend getting married and starting all over with a CR-1, but should you want options ........

You and your Fiancée can get married online through the state of Utah and neither of you need to be physically present in Utah at the time of marriage and it does not matter if your Fiancée is physically located in PH. - Currently the PH Authorities are not allowing spouses to enter alone i.e. the couple must enter together but early last month this was not the case and in the future it may not be the case again so there is a possible option and if going this route you can "Consumate" until your hearts content lol

Another possible option is to fly your fiancée out of the country and meet in a 3rd party country to you both (CR is an easy one for US / PH) and get married abroad get all the documentation in order and then re-enter together (Consumation would not seem to be an issue in this case).

Both of these scenarios would require much documentation and getting a 9a visa to enter which the DFA is not issuing exemptions for at the moment and neither is the PHEM issuing visas for at the moment but may soon be again. Additionally, flying out to get married may require quite a bit of money and additional paperwork for the PH IO. 

The USEM MNL is currently processing K-1's outside of just the Expedite criteria of the additional category of those who are already case ready at the USEM. Give them a call and give them your priority date and some other info including your Fiancée's Passport # and they may follow up with an email to your Fiancée to sched. an interview 

Timeline
19 hours ago, andrewfromdenver said:

I'm ahead of you. July 2019

Timeline
On 4/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Cody&Razely said:

lol, that's funny as hell.

Also the USEM MNL is NOT Closed

I will say up front that I do not recommend getting married and starting all over with a CR-1, but should you want options ........

You and your Fiancée can get married online through the state of Utah and neither of you need to be physically present in Utah at the time of marriage and it does not matter if your Fiancée is physically located in PH. - Currently the PH Authorities are not allowing spouses to enter alone i.e. the couple must enter together but early last month this was not the case and in the future it may not be the case again so there is a possible option and if going this route you can "Consumate" until your hearts content lol

Another possible option is to fly your fiancée out of the country and meet in a 3rd party country to you both (CR is an easy one for US / PH) and get married abroad get all the documentation in order and then re-enter together (Consumation would not seem to be an issue in this case).

Both of these scenarios would require much documentation and getting a 9a visa to enter which the DFA is not issuing exemptions for at the moment and neither is the PHEM issuing visas for at the moment but may soon be again. Additionally, flying out to get married may require quite a bit of money and additional paperwork for the PH IO. 

The USEM MNL is currently processing K-1's outside of just the Expedite criteria of the additional category of those who are already case ready at the USEM. Give them a call and give them your priority date and some other info including your Fiancée's Passport # and they may follow up with an email to your Fiancée to sched. an interview 

I thought they were not processing K1's. I am confused. We got the NOA 2 back in January of 2020, said valid between 11/2019 through 3/2020. I was under the impression that it would be extended. I actually tried to get back to the Philippines in March 2020 but my flight was canceled. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.