Cody&Razely

Philippines "privacy" law that forces women to give birth without their husbands?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is there actually a real law in the Philippines that requires women give birth without their partner, husband, fiancé? 

I feel like my Fiancée is being fed a line of BS from our OB, saying that there is a Philippines "Privacy" law that Does Not "Protect" a women's right to give birth alone if she chooses but Instead "Forces" all women to give birth alone regardless of their personal feelings and the feelings of their partner. 

I know the Philippines is essentially insane in it's retardation of many laws and protocols and what ever else but this seems like about one of the most insanely retarded things I have heard so far.

Edited by Cody&Razely

I was at my sons birth, but there are hospitals in the Philippines that restrict the fathers from being there for the birth.  My understanding is its not necessarily a law, but a policy of some hospitals.  However given that, there are alot of ridiculous laws in place which are not followed consistently through the country.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You need to start thinking. Make sure the kid is yours (DNA). I'd halt/ delay any petions till that is certain. Just looking out for you

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

6 hours ago, Cody&Razely said:

Is there actually a real law in the Philippines that requires women give birth without their partner, husband, fiancé? 

NO, there is no such law in the Philippines that requires women to give birth without their loved ones present.

But, many hospitals have a policy of restricting entry of non-medically-essential persons in the delivery room.  They could be even more strict about this now.  Remember, many of these hospitals are private institutions, so they can set whatever policy they want.  Like with most other private commercial institutions, if you are not happy with their policies or services, you are free to take your business elsewhere.  There is also no Philippine law that forces women to stay in any particular hospital or with any particular OB.

If being present in the delivery room is important to you, the article below may be helpful.  Note that it was posted pre-COVID, so the listed hospitals may have changed their policies in line with recent restrictions.  Best to call the hospitals directly to confirm.  https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/pregnancy/labor-and-childbirth/hospitals-allow-husbands-labor-delivery-room-a00041-20181114-lfrm

2 hours ago, Adventine said:

I know several husbands/partners who were in the delivery room for their children's birth. But that was pre-COVID. The hospital policies may have changed to prevent infection, not just for the parents and staff in the delivery room, but for all the other patients in the same hospital.

If you don't agree with the hospital policy or unhappy with how your OB explains things to your fiancée, you are free to choose another hospital / OB.

The issue is find competent medical in the Philippines.  Many hospitals lack modern equipment and many places in the province there are no hospitals.

I tried to get my fiance on Depo shot back in the Davao area, The first doctor told her she was too young for birth control, the second doctor told her she would go sterile from Depo shots.  

From what I have seen about Medical care in the Philippines, I wouldn't let them take care of my dog

Timeline

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes I am 100% sure she wants me there with her as it was just as much her desire as mine from the start.

Thank you for the concern and I could see how it could be generally applied, but yes I am 100% sure the baby is mine as #1 and most importantly my fiancée is a wonderful person and would never do anything like stepping out and #2 second most importantly we were alone in a 3rd party country to us both for 3 months and together 24 hours a day for the whole duration the entire time. But thanks for looking out.

Yeah, I thought it was a line of BS mixed with some facilities policies. It is not a specific hospitals policy in our case since so far we have no chosen a birthing place yet, this is coming only from our OB specifically and she is trying to mix things up and say it is law and never happened before, etc... I did not trust this OB from the start and wanted to choose another, but arguing with a pregnant woman is a moot point lol, she is dead set on this OB simply because she was her sisters OB years ago uuuhhhgggg. I've already tried talking rational and common sense and logic and "hey let's look around for another OB" but I guess this is not going to happen. Basically the OB is stating that she will be there for the delivery where ever we choose as a birthing place and will not allow any biological father into the labor room during delivery regardless of the facilities policy because "She thinks there is a law in place" this is what I am dealing with and when my fiancée tried to question this her OB just shuts her down. 

My only thought is we need a different OB who is living in a modern century and actually listens to and cares for their patients wishes, but there is no speaking about this. 

17 minutes ago, Cody&Razely said:

Yes I am 100% sure she wants me there with her as it was just as much her desire as mine from the start.

I guess the question for your fiancee now is whether it's more important for her to stay with the current OB or to have you with her in the delivery room.  It seems that with the current OB, it's going to be a matter of choosing between her or you, no compromise.

Good luck and congrats on the baby, whether you get to witness the birth or not.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

I guess the question for your fiancee now is whether it's more important for her to stay with the current OB or to have you with her in the delivery room.  It seems that with the current OB, it's going to be a matter of choosing between her or you, no compromise.

Good luck and congrats on the baby, whether you get to witness the birth or not.

Yeah, thanks. That was my feelings as well and it seems as this point with the OB making her choose, she seems to be choosing the OB. Not a pleasant thought but it is defining 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Research some different hospitals on fees etc.  I dont remember the exact name, but hospitals will offer a "package" that includes all of the fees etc that will be directly related to the birth.  I highly recommend to do this, but double check the breakdown on what fees are covered.  I paid for this "package" about 1 week before my son was born and didnt have to worry about anything else related to costs.  If you dont do one of these "packages", you run the risk of costs getting out of control.  Also, make sure she has Phil Health.  It covered about 50% of the cost as well.  Even if she has let Phil Health coverage lapse, go to the Phil Health office and ask for them to backdate it so the coverage is continuous. They will do this for you.

Yeah, I found at least one nice and private hospital with the packages as you say, though it does not cover post natal for the baby only for the mother which is a bit odd to me. My Fiancée does have Philhealth so I'll ask her if she has kept it up to date. Thank you for the insight on this. 

We haven't run inot the C-Section thing yet, but I will definitely keep an ear out for if starts being brought up in conversation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.