J/G

N-400 Interview & Email Notice Questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello All, 

Filed my N400 on Sept 2020 (Marriage Based; 3 years rule, Pending I751 since Sept. 2019). I received an email Apr 12, 2021 stating that "On April 12, 2021, we scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization" and that a paper notice will be mailed to me. I'm so excited. Here are my questions: 

• Today, April 13, 2021 at 4am, I received an email from no-reply(at)uscis(dot)dhs(dot)gov stating that, "We have taken an action on your case and it needs your attention. Sign in to your account to view your case status and additional steps you need to take," when I logged in to my USCIS and DHS USCIS accounts I don't see anything changed from yesterday. Even as current as I type this post, I do not see anything changed on my status. My I-751 have been on "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction" per 12 October 2020; my N-400 is "Interview Was Scheduled" per 12 April 2021. Was this a glitch in the system? or the email I received on the 13 April was referring to the status change to Interview has been scheduled notice I received on 12 April? I was afraid that this was an RFE notice, but nothing seems to change on my accounts. Any thoughts? 

• A user, name @Gingerspike recently had a N-400 interview with a pending I-751 in Los Angeles office see the post below. I'm also in the same boat, N400 interview with pending I751. She attended the interview with her husband, but the husband was not required to attend and was told to wait in the building Lobby. My husband is currently recovering from a health issue and is on a wheelchair. Initially we were planning to attend the interview together but if he's just there to wait in the lobby I feel bad for him. Would it be an absolute requirement for him to be present with me or can he stay home while I attend my interview? Who should I contact to give me the most reliable advise on this? 
  • When I attend my interview should I bring everything I submitted for my I751 or only things that are listed in my interview notice for N400, which I have yet to receive in the mail? Any advise? Should I mention to my IO that I have a pending I751? 

• I read that some people was able to do N400 interview, oath ceremony, register to vote and US passport in the same day. Would I be able to do this in Los Angeles office? If so how do I proceed? Or did I misread this information?

THANK YOU in advance for your advice and thoughts.

Best, 

J/G

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, J/G said:

Hello All, 

Filed my N400 on Sept 2020 (Marriage Based; 3 years rule, Pending I751 since Sept. 2019). I received an email Apr 12, 2021 stating that "On April 12, 2021, we scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization" and that a paper notice will be mailed to me. I'm so excited. Here are my questions: 

• Today, April 13, 2021 at 4am, I received an email from no-reply(at)uscis(dot)dhs(dot)gov stating that, "We have taken an action on your case and it needs your attention. Sign in to your account to view your case status and additional steps you need to take," when I logged in to my USCIS and DHS USCIS accounts I don't see anything changed from yesterday. Even as current as I type this post, I do not see anything changed on my status. My I-751 have been on "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction" per 12 October 2020; my N-400 is "Interview Was Scheduled" per 12 April 2021. Was this a glitch in the system? or the email I received on the 13 April was referring to the status change to Interview has been scheduled notice I received on 12 April? I was afraid that this was an RFE notice, but nothing seems to change on my accounts. Any thoughts? 

• A user, name @Gingerspike recently had a N-400 interview with a pending I-751 in Los Angeles office see the post below. I'm also in the same boat, N400 interview with pending I751. She attended the interview with her husband, but the husband was not required to attend and was told to wait in the building Lobby. My husband is currently recovering from a health issue and is on a wheelchair. Initially we were planning to attend the interview together but if he's just there to wait in the lobby I feel bad for him. Would it be an absolute requirement for him to be present with me or can he stay home while I attend my interview? Who should I contact to give me the most reliable advise on this? 
  • When I attend my interview should I bring everything I submitted for my I751 or only things that are listed in my interview notice for N400, which I have yet to receive in the mail? Any advise? Should I mention to my IO that I have a pending I751? 

• I read that some people was able to do N400 interview, oath ceremony, register to vote and US passport in the same day. Would I be able to do this in Los Angeles office? If so how do I proceed? Or did I misread this information?

THANK YOU in advance for your advice and thoughts.

Best, 

J/G

Hello J/G! I will answer what I can based on what the officer told me yesterday since we both have i-751 pending but called for an N400 interview. See my answers in purple text.

Today, April 13, 2021 at 4am, I received an email from no-reply(at)uscis(dot)dhs(dot)gov stating that, "We have taken an action on your case and it needs your attention. Sign in to your account to view your case status and additional steps you need to take," when I logged in to my USCIS and DHS USCIS accounts I don't see anything changed from yesterday. Even as current as I type this post, I do not see anything changed on my status. My I-751 have been on "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction" per 12 October 2020; my N-400 is "Interview Was Scheduled" per 12 April 2021. Was this a glitch in the system? or the email I received on the 13 April was referring to the status change to Interview has been scheduled notice I received on 12 April? I was afraid that this was an RFE notice, but nothing seems to change on my accounts. Any thoughts? - It is probably for the "email I received on the 13 April was referring to the status change to Interview has been scheduled notice I received on 12 April." We have the same status as of current for both N400 and i-751. 

Initially we were planning to attend the interview together but if he's just there to wait in the lobby I feel bad for him. Would it be an absolute requirement for him to be present with me or can he stay home while I attend my interview? Who should I contact to give me the most reliable advise on this?  - When I received my N400 notice but nothing for i-751, I contacted USCIS through the email system in the MyUSCIS account asking if I should bring my husband for the interview since I have a pending i-751 and would like to clarify if it's a combo interview. I received a call from them a week later saying that my letter is for N400 only and I will be the one who needs to show up in the interview. I still asked if I can bring my husband just in case and they said it is up to me but the notice is that I am only called for an N400 interview. It is really up to the officer who will conduct the interview if she will do a combo or not. When the officer called me yesterday and she told my husband he is not needed, once in the office, she told me that it was the usual protocol to bring the spouses during a combo interview but since it is the pandemic and they are short staffed plus I already brought updated documents with me and provided it to her yesterday, my i-751 will be reviewed as is. Since your husband has a medical condition making him at risk, I don't think he is needed tomorrow but tell officer that when they looked for him.

When I attend my interview should I bring everything I submitted for my I751 or only things that are listed in my interview notice for N400, which I have yet to receive in the mail? Any advise? Should I mention to my IO that I have a pending I751? - You can actually see the notice already and the interview schedule in your myUSCIS account while waiting for the physicial NOA to arrive in mail. The officer already knew your case prior to seeing you but I still told her beforehand since I have my husband with me. In your case I suggest inform him that you do have a pending i-751 but your husband is at home with a medical risk for him to join you. Since you are only being called for N400, I think it will not be a big deal but make sure to bring updated documents with you after the time you filed your N400 plus the list of items in your N400 notice. The officer asked me yesterday if I have updated joint bank accounts, lease, car insurance, etc. I gave her those plus a couple printed pictures. She was happy and appreciate it because it is expected from applicants like us to bring updated documents when we have pending i-751. She even said people don't even read the i-751 notice, only the N400.

I read that some people was able to do N400 interview, oath ceremony, register to vote and US passport in the same day. Would I be able to do this in Los Angeles office? If so how do I proceed? Or did I misread this information? - I was half expecting that yesterday too but what I noticed in LA office for purely N400 applicants only is that they make them return a week after for the oath. Officer told me they do oath talking every Tuesday and Thursday. However, given I have a pending i-751, she told me it might take time for me to receive the oath notice in the mail as they will review my file "as is" because of shortstaffing. According to my myuscis account, it will take 7 months for me to receive final word. I hope it will be earlier.

Good luck on your interview and hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Gingerspike
typo

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

@Gingerspike First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Per your suggestion I checked My USCIS profile and saw my interview notice has been uploaded. It'll be in a month from today at 8 am! Yay! THANK YOU! 

From reading the section about "Who should come with you?" Only the following people may come with you to your interview:

• If you do not speak English fluently, you should arrange to have an interpreter available by phone. Do not bring an interpreter to the interview. If you need a Sign Language Interpreter or Certified Deaf Interpreter, call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 as soon as possible.
  • Your attorney or authorized representative may come with you to the interview, or be available via phone.
  • If you have a disability and have an individual who assists you, that individual may come with you.

None of the above applicable to me, so I think my husband is not required to be present. I will phone the number at the bottom of the notice to double check. I'm sure they love when people call them to ask questions that we already know. ;) 

Also, local LA question, did you park at the structure at the Judge John Aiso St.? Or did you take train to Union Station?

THANK YOU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
59 minutes ago, J/G said:

@Gingerspike First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Per your suggestion I checked My USCIS profile and saw my interview notice has been uploaded. It'll be in a month from today at 8 am! Yay! THANK YOU! 

From reading the section about "Who should come with you?" Only the following people may come with you to your interview:

• If you do not speak English fluently, you should arrange to have an interpreter available by phone. Do not bring an interpreter to the interview. If you need a Sign Language Interpreter or Certified Deaf Interpreter, call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 as soon as possible.
  • Your attorney or authorized representative may come with you to the interview, or be available via phone.
  • If you have a disability and have an individual who assists you, that individual may come with you.

None of the above applicable to me, so I think my husband is not required to be present. I will phone the number at the bottom of the notice to double check. I'm sure they love when people call them to ask questions that we already know. ;) 

Also, local LA question, did you park at the structure at the Judge John Aiso St.? Or did you take train to Union Station?

THANK YOU!

There is a mall in front of the building, right across the main entrance and it has a public parking. The crosswalk has direct access to the main entrance of the building. You are going too 300 N Los Angeles office, correct?

You're welcome! I have question for you though. Was your i-751 transferred to NBC when you filed for N400 while your i-751 is also pending?

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.