Gingerspike

N400 with pending i-751 interview in LA

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had my N400 interview earlier with me in Los Angeles office. My appointment was at 8:05 am but we already went inside the building at 7:40 am. My husband was with me and they didn’t even ask about him on the main security check. 

We then proceeded to the 6th floor and the security asked what am I there for. I told him I am here for my N400 interview but I have a pending I-751 and I brought my husband with me, just in case. He let us in and told to check in at window 1. I checked in at the USCIS office around 7:50 am and told the lady again that I have a pending i-751 and if my husband is needed. Receptionist said it is up to the officer’s discretion if she will do a combo interview. 

I checked in at 7:50 am, my appointment is 8:05 am, but I got called at 9:40 am. When we approached officer, officer immediately told us that she is only going to do the N400 interview and my husband is not needed, so he needs to wait downstairs at the lobby. We then walked to another hallway and while we were walking, she was asking me something but I can barely hear her coz she was wearing an N-95 and facemask and people were talking in the hallway too. I just said yes at that moment then we entered the room. She then asked me for passport, green card, and driver’s license and proceeded to make a copy. 

Officer was really nice and we had a little chit chat but then she reiterated “Again, do you have any updated documents for me like joint accounts, lease, car insurance that is not yet here in your file?” I then said “Oh! That’s what was you’re asking for. I am sorry I didn’t understand coz you are muffled. Yes I do!” Then I proceeded to get the copies of our current status of joint bank accounts, W-2s, car insurances, and pictures after the time I filed N400. She actually praised me for being on top of it coz she said 95% of the applicants do not read what is needed from them and this was a good help in adjudicating my i-751 without the need to return again for a separate interview. She then looked at my case again and said it was an easy case and hope she’ll get more of it everyday. 😆

She then proceeded to do the tests first. She said the computer generates the questions for me but it so slow and always buffering, so I need to bear with her. 😅

Civics Test Questions 

1. What is the supreme law of the land? The Constitution 
  2. What is the emancipation proclamation? Freed the slaves
  3. How many justices are there in the supreme court? Nine
  4. Who is the vice president of the United States? Kamala Harris
  5. Who signs bills to become laws? The President
  6. When was the Constitution written? 1787

Reading and Writing part

Reading: What do we pay to the government?

Writing: We pay taxes. (Wrote it on the tablet in front of me.)

She then proceeded to swore an oath that I will tell the truth regarding my application. She asked my name, my birthday, confirmed my current address and job, said that I left my height blank (which I did not but somehow online form glitched), and proceeded to the yes/no questions. We were fast but she said her computer was really slow, so we need to be slow. 

She then asked me to review my information in the tablet in front of me if they were correct. I signed and she printed the paper saying I passed the exam but since I have a pending i-751, I have to wait by mail for the decision and oath taking schedule, if ever. She asked if I took a day off for today and my husband and I said yes. She said “Well, tell your husband I will review this file as is since you gave an updated copies of joint documents but it will probably take time to adjudicate this coz we are shortstaffed. Just wait for the notice in the mail.”

Over-all it was a pleasant experience. I feel comfortable with the officer as we did chat from time to time while waiting for her computer to load as well as all the staff there in DTLA. I will update once I have oath taking schedule. I am done with the N400 exam and interview, woohhooo! 🥰

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Congratulations! You’ll get approved 👍🏾

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
2 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Congratulations! You’ll get approved 👍🏾

Thank you! Crossing my fingers but I do have a good feeling about it. 

1 hour ago, Lola Lolo said:

Congratulation to you kabayan @Gingerspike.. 🎉🎊🎈My interview is 8 days from now.. Once again congrats.!😊

Thank you kababayan and good luck too! You’ll ace it. 🥰🥳

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

17 hours ago, Gingerspike said:

Thank you kababayan and good luck too! You’ll ace it. 🥰🥳

You’re welcome and thank you kabayan! Kabayan are you going to apply for dual citizenship? If yes can you keep me posted of what are the steps and documents needed. Thanks again kabayan!😊🥰

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Lola Lolo said:

You’re welcome and thank you kabayan! Kabayan are you going to apply for dual citizenship? If yes can you keep me posted of what are the steps and documents needed. Thanks again kabayan!😊🥰

Definitely! I am planning to have it too after I get my oath and passport. ^_^

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

3 hours ago, Gingerspike said:

Definitely! I am planning to have it too after I get my oath and passport. ^_^

That’s good to know kabayan.. Because me too will going to apply for my dual after I pass my N400 interview and Oath. When is your Oath kabayan? I thought they do the same day on your interview. Well your almost there and congrats again kabayan..😊

On 4/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, Gingerspike said:

I had my N400 interview earlier with me in Los Angeles office. My appointment was at 8:05 am but we already went inside the building at 7:40 am. My husband was with me and they didn’t even ask about him on the main security check. 

We then proceeded to the 6th floor and the security asked what am I there for. I told him I am here for my N400 interview but I have a pending I-751 and I brought my husband with me, just in case. He let us in and told to check in at window 1. I checked in at the USCIS office around 7:50 am and told the lady again that I have a pending i-751 and if my husband is needed. Receptionist said it is up to the officer’s discretion if she will do a combo interview. 

I checked in at 7:50 am, my appointment is 8:05 am, but I got called at 9:40 am. When we approached officer, officer immediately told us that she is only going to do the N400 interview and my husband is not needed, so he needs to wait downstairs at the lobby. We then walked to another hallway and while we were walking, she was asking me something but I can barely hear her coz she was wearing an N-95 and facemask and people were talking in the hallway too. I just said yes at that moment then we entered the room. She then asked me for passport, green card, and driver’s license and proceeded to make a copy. 

Officer was really nice and we had a little chit chat but then she reiterated “Again, do you have any updated documents for me like joint accounts, lease, car insurance that is not yet here in your file?” I then said “Oh! That’s what was you’re asking for. I am sorry I didn’t understand coz you are muffled. Yes I do!” Then I proceeded to get the copies of our current status of joint bank accounts, W-2s, car insurances, and pictures after the time I filed N400. She actually praised me for being on top of it coz she said 95% of the applicants do not read what is needed from them and this was a good help in adjudicating my i-751 without the need to return again for a separate interview. She then looked at my case again and said it was an easy case and hope she’ll get more of it everyday. 😆

She then proceeded to do the tests first. She said the computer generates the questions for me but it so slow and always buffering, so I need to bear with her. 😅

Civics Test Questions 

1. What is the supreme law of the land? The Constitution 
  2. What is the emancipation proclamation? Freed the slaves
  3. How many justices are there in the supreme court? Nine
  4. Who is the vice president of the United States? Kamala Harris
  5. Who signs bills to become laws? The President
  6. When was the Constitution written? 1787

Reading and Writing part

Reading: What do we pay to the government?

Writing: We pay taxes. (Wrote it on the tablet in front of me.)

She then proceeded to swore an oath that I will tell the truth regarding my application. She asked my name, my birthday, confirmed my current address and job, said that I left my height blank (which I did not but somehow online form glitched), and proceeded to the yes/no questions. We were fast but she said her computer was really slow, so we need to be slow. 

She then asked me to review my information in the tablet in front of me if they were correct. I signed and she printed the paper saying I passed the exam but since I have a pending i-751, I have to wait by mail for the decision and oath taking schedule, if ever. She asked if I took a day off for today and my husband and I said yes. She said “Well, tell your husband I will review this file as is since you gave an updated copies of joint documents but it will probably take time to adjudicate this coz we are shortstaffed. Just wait for the notice in the mail.”

Over-all it was a pleasant experience. I feel comfortable with the officer as we did chat from time to time while waiting for her computer to load as well as all the staff there in DTLA. I will update once I have oath taking schedule. I am done with the N400 exam and interview, woohhooo! 🥰

That’s a big milestone. Congrats for that. My N400 interview is 18days. My husband will join just in case they decide to a combo interview.. I recently had to do an I-551 stamp and they told me to have my hubby come along. Thanks for posting just a detailed note. Your civic questions seem easy enough ;)

Timeline
4 hours ago, Moro said:

That’s a big milestone. Congrats for that. My N400 interview is 18days. My husband will join just in case they decide to a combo interview.. I recently had to do an I-551 stamp and they told me to have my hubby come along. Thanks for posting just a detailed note. Your civic questions seem easy enough ;)

Thank you and good luck too! Would love to hear your experience too.

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Gingerspike said:

Thank you and good luck too! Would love to hear your experience too.

I had my interview today. Arrived on time, I wasn’t sure if they would allow my husband to join given how different USCIS operate but the Chicago folks didn’t even ask questions, they just let him in. we set down for a few minutes and we were called in right away. The officer asked for mine and hubby drivers license,passport and green card. I then told her that when I recently came in for a I-551 stamp they took my conditional green-card since it had expired. 

She then said let’s start with I-751 interview, she asked how we met. My husband and I are both chatter box so we told a story of how we met.. she commented on the fact that we travel a lot. It seemed like she had looked at our file. She did not ask for any originals or any additional information. 

Then she did my civics test:

1. What does the presidents cabinet do? 
  2. What political party is the president ?
  3. Who is the speaker of the house? 
  4. Name a right under the first amendment?
  5. Who was the First president ?
  6. Why does the flag have 50 states ?

Reading- what day is Columbus Day?

Writing - Columbus Day is in October 

Then she proceeded to ask the eligibility questions.

She then told me I was approved and should have the oath ceremony in the next 3-4

Overall a very positive experience, So glad this journey is finally over. Thanks again for sharing your experience 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

At last!!!! I received news today that they approved my I-751 and my N400 update is now Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled!!! I can now breath a little better. 😂 I will update here when is my oath taking schedule. 

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Timeline

Here is my timeline from USCIS. I filed under the 3-yr rule. 

14A29726-8460-49C6-8D0E-7C9EEA2BBC35.jpeg

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Timeline

Update: Just received a call and email from USCIS LA and they provided me the date and time of my oath taking ceremony. T_T See my signature. 

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.