cherrypeanut

Filing taxes as a non-resident

4 posts in this topic

Timeline

I entered the US in 2020 on a K1 visa and I am currently going through AOS, no green card yet. I worked for 2 months in Canada for 2020 and did not work in the US. I updated my marital status but changed my date of departure too late (will need to pay back some tax credits).

As a non-resident, is there anything I need to do differently when filing taxes?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, cherrypeanut said:

I entered the US in 2020 on a K1 visa and I am currently going through AOS, no green card yet. I worked for 2 months in Canada for 2020 and did not work in the US. I updated my marital status but changed my date of departure too late (will need to pay back some tax credits).

As a non-resident, is there anything I need to do differently when filing taxes?

If you were married in 2020 the normal advice (from the US side) is to file jointly, choose to be treated as a resident, declare your canadian income, subtract the excludable portion under category “bonafide resident of previous home country” OR if possible use the 330 days prior to entry + 34 days after entry and use the presence test, and take tax advantage of the MFJ bracket.

Canadian taxes?  Dunno.  Wrong site. 

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can answer for Canadian taxes as I was in a similar situation in 2019 -- you can file like normal but make sure your ID is updated on the first page of the tax return for things like your new last name (if applicable), address, marital status, and current residence and date of departure (under Information About Your Residence). If you had any recurring premiums for benefits based on residence, make sure they know you left so they stop charging you and refund any payments made since you left. I'm from BC and paid for MSP the month after I moved and they eventually gave back the amount because I updated my residency late. The CRA also issued me a GST/HSTC (and BC climate tax credit) notice to give back the tax credits I earned since becoming a non-resident of Canada but I had to call them to ask about this.

If you file US taxes after Canadian taxes, you can use Form 2555 to exclude your Canadian income. You'll also have to file FBAR if all your Canadian bank accounts add up to over $10k USD.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just did mine. I used Turbotax and filed as deemed resident. If you lived in Canada for less than 183 days, you need to file as a non resident I think. If you have foreign address, you can’t do Netfile, but Turbotax allows you to download and print the forms. You can manually fill out the form too, download it from CRA website.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.