mias

delay due to Covid19 in returning to US will affect my GC

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, just wondering if others are in similar situation. I am currently in Australia and international borders are still closed.

I applied to Australian Border Forces for an exemption to exit Aus. to relocate to US. I have current GC, however my 2 year re-entry permit expires in July 2021. I had intended to relocate 12 months ago to US, but I didn't think that border lockdown would be so strict and still be in place. Lockdown in Australia started March 2020.

My exemption application was unsuccessful. I was advised in the reply notice to investigate with US consulates in Australia, as "provisions had be made for US visa holders outside the US" who were affected by Covid19 border restrictions.  I did this via email, with my details and received a generic reply outlining  responsibility of having a GC, which I am aware of. There were no provisions or amendments for re-entry permits and there was no mention of Covid19.

Just hoping that there may be another avenue to explore!

Best of luck to you all.    

This is odd, I know of a number of people with both US immigrant visas and green cards who have received the travel exemption and come from Australia to the US in the past few months. Possibly, your first port of call should be to find an Aussie expat forum to find out what these people are putting into their applications?

2 hours ago, mias said:

Hello, just wondering if others are in similar situation. I am currently in Australia and international borders are still closed.

I applied to Australian Border Forces for an exemption to exit Aus. to relocate to US. I have current GC, however my 2 year re-entry permit expires in July 2021. I had intended to relocate 12 months ago to US, but I didn't think that border lockdown would be so strict and still be in place. Lockdown in Australia started March 2020.

My exemption application was unsuccessful. I was advised in the reply notice to investigate with US consulates in Australia, as "provisions had be made for US visa holders outside the US" who were affected by Covid19 border restrictions.  I did this via email, with my details and received a generic reply outlining  responsibility of having a GC, which I am aware of. There were no provisions or amendments for re-entry permits and there was no mention of Covid19.

Just hoping that there may be another avenue to explore!

Best of luck to you all.    

so australia does not allow their own citizens to leave the country ? thats pretty draconian 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.