Jfresh26

Travel requirements flying to Manila?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancée and I are living together in Bicol province. We want to move to Manila to get closer to the embassy and SLEC. 

What are the requirements for incoming Manila passengers via flight?

Ive researched both PAL and CebuPacific airline websites, talked to chatbots, went to our barangay and LGU, still getting mixed answers. 

My understanding is we need travel pass and medical certificate. Our LGU was clueless and said we needed a covid test, but no where on the airline websites says that. Our barangay didn’t say we needed that either. 

For essential travel reason: my fiancée would like to do the medical & I will eventually be going home to US (hopefully with my fiancée) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Philippines forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
12 hours ago, Jfresh26 said:

My fiancée and I are living together in Bicol province. We want to move to Manila to get closer to the embassy and SLEC. 

Ive researched both PAL and CebuPacific airline websites, talked to chatbots, went to our barangay and LGU, still getting mixed answers. 

My understanding is we need travel pass and medical certificate. Our LGU was clueless and said we needed a covid test, but no where on the airline websites says that. Our barangay didn’t say we needed that either. 

For essential travel reason: my fiancée would like to do the medical & I will eventually be going home to US (hopefully with my fiancée) 

Go to the Philippines embassy or US embassy website for current info.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

I check the USEM in Manila website everyday, the updates there are about as helpful as our LGU... (not at all). That’s why I am posting here, but I’ll keep checking, thank you. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Neither of those places would have information on domestic flight requirements.  

YMMV

19 hours ago, Jfresh26 said:

Do you know if the new airport Bicol International Airport is open yet?

Will they close down the airport in Legazpi? It pretty cool getting on/off the plane with the Mayon Volcano in your background.

Or you closer to Naga Airport?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Do you know if the new airport Bicol International Airport is open yet?

Will they close down the airport in Legazpi? It pretty cool getting on/off the plane with the Mayon Volcano in your background.

Or you closer to Naga Airport?

I believe BIA is still under construction. 

As far as I know, the airport in Legazpi is still operating and that is the airport we would use to fly to Manila. 

Maybe I should contact the LGP airport to see what the requirements are? I’m not sure where else to turn..

Naga is a couple hours away from us, Legazpi airport is closest.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jfresh26 said:

I believe BIA is still under construction. 

As far as I know, the airport in Legazpi is still operating and that is the airport we would use to fly to Manila. 

Maybe I should contact the LGP airport to see whatthe requirements are? I’m not sure where else to turn..

Naga is a couple hours away from us, Legazpi airport is closest.

11 hours ago, payxibka said:

• Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel?  Yes.

For more information, see IATF Resolution No. 101 on the  Philippine Official Gazette website. Checkpoints are in place and domestic air travel remains limited. LGUs my request information about your purpose of travel. In general, leisure travel is not permitted at this time.

Timeline
11 hours ago, payxibka said:

well what do you know, I found the info right there on the Philippines embassy site.

Timeline
3 hours ago, javadown2 said:

• Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel?  Yes.

For more information, see IATF Resolution No. 101 on the  Philippine Official Gazette website. Checkpoints are in place and domestic air travel remains limited. LGUs my request information about your purpose of travel. In general, leisure travel is not permitted at this time.

That doesn't necessarily answer my question, but thank you for trying to help. That is saying leisure travel not permitted, intercity travel restricted, and domestic travel is limited, and I already knew this because the NCR bubble is under ECQ. If you scroll down on that embassy info, it says commercial flights are still operating. As stated in my post, this is essential travel, (which is allowed) and I am wondering what the requirements are for incoming passengers. 

Edited by Jfresh26

23 hours ago, Jfresh26 said:

I check the USEM in Manila website everyday, the updates there are about as helpful as our LGU... (not at all). That’s why I am posting here, but I’ll keep checking, thank you. 

Ive already gone through this but mainly when Manila was in GCQ so things can change.  All I can tell you is you wont get a straight answer anywhere as nobody really knows.  Its the mistake the government made to leave it up to the tens of thousands of LGUs and not just make standard procedures by provinces like alot of other countries did.  But mass confusion is the name of the game in the Philippines, even before COVID.

I traveled in and out of Manila between November and February into provinces with many different requirements.  Your going to have to do this by trial and error but here's the best advice I can tell you:

• Know where you're going to stay in Manila.  Thats where you should start first.  All hotels are only supposed to take quarantine people or essential travelers.  Travel is considered essential for the medical appointment as well as the interview but you should have documentation of this if ever asked.  However hotel stays are generally limited.  For essential travel, you may be able to book for 3 days, for quarantine purposes its up to the number of days in quarantine required.  Then you are expected to leave. 
  • If your looking to stay in Airbnbs you need to write to the owners and get the building rules.  Some buildings are requiring minimum 6 month stays for guest, others require a PCR test and no minimum stay, a few may not require a PCR test, etc.  Its all different.  You need to be in contact with the owners on the current rules.
  • If your looking at renting a condo straight from the developer sites (SM, DMCI, etc etc), then follow the same instructions as for the Airbnbs.
  • If your able to get a hotel for a few days, then look for a condo, you may need to do multiple PCR tests etc.  I wouldnt even show up into Manila without a confirmed place, even if that means booking long term site unseen.  During the 3 months of us traveling in and out of Manila, I believe we took over 10-12 PCR tests between 3,300 and 5,000p a piece.  You could book for a month at a place that will allow you to do that, and then within the first two weeks determine if you want to extend or look for another place.  Just be prepared to take additional PCR tests, get travel passes, etc.

Once you get a confirmed place to stay try to book a ticket to Manila on PAL or CEB.  It appears that a PCR test is required to "enter" Manila at the moment so that may be required.  Again, this changes the same way the wind blows, so things could be different at any moment.  You may do a PCR test or even an antigen test and maybe people check it, maybe they dont.

If it was me, I wouldnt even leave Legaspi until you have a confirmed medical or interview.  You will probably be given one month notice from when your told you have the interview to the date of that interview.  This will give time to do the medical etc.  Manila is awful now and there is much more freedom in the provinces and we actually left Manila for the province as I want out of "jail."  Face masks and shields are required inside and outside.  Kids are not allowed outside, either in a park or mall.  Many of us broke these rules, such as allowing our kids out to play, but at any time, some guard may come over and complain.  I lost track on how many times we were yelled at.  Just one example, we were in Megamall and left a restaurant to go to a store on another floor.  My fiance left her face shield in the restaurant.  We were chased by a guard, up and down the escalator yelling at us to get a face shield on.  I didnt hold back with my words to her and that was the event that told me to get out of Manila.  Its completely ridiculous the rules and procedures and as can be seen now, they dont work as the country isnt focusing on what actually does work, but other nonsense (such as disinfecting car tires driving into parking garages).  What works is testing, social distancing etc and none of that happens.

This is the best advice I can give.  Unfortunately there is no straight answer to your question as there are no standard operating procedures.  If you really need to get to Manila, I would just wait until they are back to GCQ or MGCQ.  You'll have much more freedom in the provinces.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

On 4/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jfresh26 said:

Ill add a few other pieces of info.  There may be some Facebook groups focusing on travel between Albay province and Manila.  See if your fiance can find something like that and join.  We joined an FB group for Cagayan Valley and it help tremendously to get an idea what rules were in place.

Also, if your willing to take a van to Manila, you can get current up to date information from the van drivers and company.  They will be familiar with all of the current procedures.  We had to go to Cagayan Valley and there were no flights at the time, so one of the vans were used and they told us all of the requirements needed.  They have the latest on traveling into and out of Manila.

You may want to look at hiring a car and driver to drive you from Legaspi.  It will be expensive, but private cars tend to not have any rules attached to them.  No travel passes, health certificates, etc.  This may have changed though now that manila is on ECQ but if this option exists in Legaspi then its something to look into. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

4 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Are they really that stupid?

Its incompetence coupled with an enormous amount of corruption.  In general the society is just massively misinformed.  I went to the dentist the 3rd week of January.  As soon as I walk in the door, I received a shower of disinfectant.  All of me, my clothes, shoes etc.  My shirt was damp for awhile after.  I had to wear a hospital gown and coverings over my shoes.  Some restaurants also had the disinfectant shower.  None of that is proven to work.  In the mall, many stores had you fill out contract tracing forms.  Great, the problem was I could put any information I wanted too.  Nobody ever checked these.  So another useless step.  Many stores or government departments would have social distancing outside where they had people sitting in chairs, etc but as soon as you went inside, all social distancing was thrown out the window.  In some barangays, they had the entire street blocked off with police or military and concrete barriers.  Some people found it almost impossible to get back into their homes.

You have a society that is afraid to complain.  Duterte has already said the police/military have a shoot to kill order for violators of the lockdown rules.  This is on top of his other shoot to kill orders he has issued over the last 5 years.  The last time you had mass unemployment and a steep drop in the economy was in the 80s when the country was borrowing heavily overseas, income gaps were widening, and millions took to the streets with the Edsa Revolution.  For two years the PI economy dropped 7.5%, each year.  The people fought back, protested, demanded change.  Last year the economy dropped 9.5%(?) and is on pace this year to possibly drop again.  I know GDP was expected to increase 6 or 7% this year, but that didnt factor in that the economy is shut down still as we move into May.  Do you see anyone at all protesting?  None.  They are all scared and badly misinformed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.