Derek Scheyer

Best way to move stuff from Canada to US?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! I'm wondering if anyone has recently moved from Canada to the US and had to use a shipping service? How much was it and what company did you go through? I've found some threads on here but they are mostly old ones that have outdated information. Thanks! =]

Timeline
On 4/9/2021 at 7:27 PM, don_mar said:

How much stuff you are talking about? Moving company is expensive.

Hey there! We have just enough stuff to fit the bed of a medium sized pickup truck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, Derek Scheyer said:

Hey! I'm wondering if anyone has recently moved from Canada to the US and had to use a shipping service? How much was it and what company did you go through? I've found some threads on here but they are mostly old ones that have outdated information. Thanks! =]

Some people on a Canadian K1 FB thread mentioned that they used U-Pack to move to the States. Not sure how much it is as I’m not at that point in the process yet...

Timeline
3 hours ago, Lorraine1149 said:

Some people on a Canadian K1 FB thread mentioned that they used U-Pack to move to the States. Not sure how much it is as I’m not at that point in the process yet...

We got a quote for Upack for $2000. the distance from her place to my place is about 2400 miles and we got the smallest/cheapest possible option they offer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Uhaul has been the cheapest way to move. That is one thing that really hasn't changed over the years. You can even look into their Uhaul trucks and vans since you don't have much. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I'll be using U-Pack from Toronto to PA. I looked into using U-haul and while way cheaper, I simply can't manage moving everything from my high-rise into a U-haul and then an 8 hour drive immediately afterwards with two cats as well. We don't have anywhere to safely park a U-haul overnight. 

Timeline

Just for reference, I am moving 20 foot trailer full stuff from Vancouver Island to Portland, costs $8600. I was told because of government regulations, moving costs is high. Luckily my employer covers part of the cost.

Timeline
On 4/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, don_mar said:

Just for reference, I am moving 20 foot trailer full stuff from Vancouver Island to Portland, costs $8600. I was told because of government regulations, moving costs is high. Luckily my employer covers part of the cost.

It's good that your company is paying some. When I got  quote 12 yrs ago it was 17k they wanted. I crammed everything I could into that uhaul, a car and a truck. It was a crazy 2 day drive. Add 4 kids a dog, 2 cats, a hamster and a cockatiel into the mix. :bonk:

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We rented a UHaul trailer and towed it from Calgary to Houston in March of last year for about $700cad, taxes in.  It was by far the cheapest way to go.  Not sure how much their rental vans would be. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, mam521 said:

We rented a UHaul trailer and towed it from Calgary to Houston in March of last year for about $700cad, taxes in.  It was by far the cheapest way to go.  Not sure how much their rental vans would be. 

What happened at the border. Did you have to have a list of everything in the uhaul? Did they have to go in and check it all? Not sure what the rules are bringing a big truck of your stuff across the border is. 

Timeline
Just now, MovingToFlorida said:

What happened at the border. Did you have to have a list of everything in the uhaul? Did they have to go in and check it all? Not sure what the rules are bringing a big truck of your stuff across the border is. 

We crossed through Coutts/Sweetgrass POE. 

First, my truck was American and registered with Texas plates, so I didn't have to import it.  I have imported a vehicle in the past and it wasn't that bad as long as you have the correct paperwork.  

Yes - I had an inventory of the items in the UHaul and the rental agreement for the trailer.  The agent basically looked at the list (it was pretty complete - not like 17 forks and 22 spoons complete, but silverware complete IYKWIM) and agreement very briefly handed it back.  We handed the dog's rabies certificate with the list and he asked to see the dog. Rolled down the window and Lucy popped her head up, which satisfied him.  He then asked us to go park and come inside so they could activate the visas.  They didn't open the trailer at all (thank goodness because my husband earned a PhD in UHaul tetris to get everything in and it was literally packed to the brim, us holding items as we rolled the door down!).  All told, we were at the border about 15 minutes and the delay was mostly because the officer inside hadn't done visa activations, so a more senior officer had to show her how to retrieve the consulate information and activate the 3 visas for the kids and I.  

I read on another forum someone went through Peace Arch with a UHaul truck and had basically the same experience, only it took them longer to actually activate the visa.  CBP may have opened the doors to the truck, but they definitely did not rifle through that person's stuff.  

If you have a reasonable list that looks pretty legitimate and you're activating your visa, you're unlikely to be hassled too much.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

I moved in 2019 from Calgary to Indianapolis. BY FAR the cheapest way (even over renting a Uhaul and driving ourselves) was to use U-pack. There are two options: have a cube delivered to you and then you pack it and they pick it up and drop it off to your new address, or load and unload the truck yourself at their location. I'm pretty sure the one for Calgary was by Strathmore but I'm not 100% sure. It cost me $1,500 and arrived in like 10 days or something. I took all of my furniture, kitchen stuff, clothes, etc. Would seriously recommend getting an online quote (and using if the price is low still) for U-Pack!! 

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, mam521 said:

We crossed through Coutts/Sweetgrass POE. 

First, my truck was American and registered with Texas plates, so I didn't have to import it.  I have imported a vehicle in the past and it wasn't that bad as long as you have the correct paperwork.  

Yes - I had an inventory of the items in the UHaul and the rental agreement for the trailer.  The agent basically looked at the list (it was pretty complete - not like 17 forks and 22 spoons complete, but silverware complete IYKWIM) and agreement very briefly handed it back.  We handed the dog's rabies certificate with the list and he asked to see the dog. Rolled down the window and Lucy popped her head up, which satisfied him.  He then asked us to go park and come inside so they could activate the visas.  They didn't open the trailer at all (thank goodness because my husband earned a PhD in UHaul tetris to get everything in and it was literally packed to the brim, us holding items as we rolled the door down!).  All told, we were at the border about 15 minutes and the delay was mostly because the officer inside hadn't done visa activations, so a more senior officer had to show her how to retrieve the consulate information and activate the 3 visas for the kids and I.  

I read on another forum someone went through Peace Arch with a UHaul truck and had basically the same experience, only it took them longer to actually activate the visa.  CBP may have opened the doors to the truck, but they definitely did not rifle through that person's stuff.  

If you have a reasonable list that looks pretty legitimate and you're activating your visa, you're unlikely to be hassled too much.  

This is great! I wondered what would happen at the border. We have 4 of us and a dog. 2 adults 2 kids. We will be at the Ontario/Michigan border. Did you just leave the dog in the car when you went inside to activate visas?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.