15 posts in this topic

I have watched some videos on YouTube where they leave non-applicable fields blank.

But, I've also seen examples such as this one (taken from CitizenPath.com) where it is answered: N/A.
Untitled.png

Which one is correct?

I'm confused as to whether I'm supposed to fill out EVERY non-applicable questions to me with the answer N/A or just leave them blank.

"If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise
directed." - From I-130 instruction.

Edited by Jake77
Added more information

Follow the proper instructions for the form, youtube etc are not official. 

example on the official instructions for i130 https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf it says 

Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

Nowhere do they mention leaving anything blank as an option.

47 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Follow the proper instructions for the form, youtube etc are not official. 

example on the official instructions for i130 https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf it says 

Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

Nowhere do they mention leaving anything blank as an option.

Got it.

I want to make sure I do everything correctly; my next question may sound dumb so please bear with me.
The instruction says that I should answer "None" to questions that require a numeric response. The three questions under Part 4 (picture above) all require a numeric response and are all non-applicable to me. Does this mean that I should write None instead of N/A?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Jake77 said:

Got it.

I want to make sure I do everything correctly; my next question may sound dumb so please bear with me.
The instruction says that I should answer "None" to questions that require a numeric response. The three questions under Part 4 (picture above) all require a numeric response and are all non-applicable to me. Does this mean that I should write None instead of N/A?

we used N/A when we started those paperworks..

and we didnt had a RFE for it 

10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

By numeric response they mean a count of something example 3 children. 

I've ran into a problem. There are fields that are read-only. (From 54 to 56.) Did USCIS lock these questions because people no longer have to fill them out? Or, do I still need to enter "N/A" by either writing my answers in ink / force-editing the file.
 1.png

Another thing - because USCIS never mentioned to leave anything blank. This question uses selection for answers, but doesn't have "N/A" in their choices. The sample form I've downloaded says "N/A". Does this mean I should print out the paper and write "N/A" with a pen instead of typing it out? Or, does it mean I no longer have to select anything and should leave it blank.
2.png

My apologies if I've been asking too many questions.

13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It says you only need to answer it if you answered yes to the prior question. Obviously, you answered no, hence they blanked it out for you.

Thanks for answering.

One question asks: Country of Issuance for Passport or Travel Document.
I've never had a password nor a travel document. Should I still type in my country?

9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, that’s confusing, the form is supposed to be filled out by the petitioner.

anyway if you don’t have a passport you can’t possibly list who issued it. 

Got it. Thanks.

My dad is my petitioner and he lives abroad. He needs help with the form, so I'm doing my part.
I'm young, so I don't have a good grasp of what I'm doing - am I supposed to get a passport first before sending in my I-130?

Or, could I send my I-130 first and get a passport later? As of now, acquiring a passport is very difficult because of COVID,
so I'm thinking of submitting my I-130 as soon as I can then worry about getting a passport later if I could.

Would doing that create a problem? If I answer "N/A" to the question that asks what country issued my passport and send it and get a passport later on after sending my form - wouldn't that make my answer invalid? I'm in desperate need of answer; your help really means a lot - thanks.

Edited by Jake77

Things change and they understand that. Your answers have to be true as at the date you sign the form.

You will need a passport by the time you interview. Are you over or under 21?

Edited by SusieQQQ

7 hours ago, Jake77 said:

Under.

Ok. On current timelines it is likely to take around a year and a half between the time the form is submitted and when you get your visa interview. The timing is partly dependent on the length of US processing time and partly dependent on the wait time at the particular consulate you will interview at. Plenty of time to get a passport.

Make sure the form is filed while you are still under 21, otherwise your visa wait time will go up dramatically (like, another 5 years).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.