mandiuk

I want to go home :(

63 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
You sound like you don't have a whole lot going on except waiting for your husband to get home.

That would stand a reasonable chance of leading to depression even if you hadn't just packed up and moved to a new country. Combined with that, no wonder you're feeling down.

So, you're in NYC, right? Good place to be if you don't have a car and are looking for things to do. So, what sort of things do you like to do? Any hobbies? Sports that you like to play? Languages or crafts you've wanted to learn, or things you've always wanted to do but never had time? There's always things going on. Public talks at the libraries and universities. Get to know the subway system so you don't feel trapped.

But I think the key is to get out of the house and occupy your mind a bit.

She is in Albany. A good 2.5-3 hours north of NYC. Not a good place to be if you don't have a car and are looking for things to do. Doable, but not easy.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, J

ust wanted to say I am thinking about you and I'm sending lots of warm, fuzzy, cosy karma your way, just don't forget to catch it. And think of this,

"If opportunity doesn't knock then build a door and let yourself in!"

Jenni

Jul 1, 07 - Sent I-130s

Jul 6, 07 - I-130s filed

Jul 9, 07 - NOA1 received

Jul 23, 07 - Sent police certificate application

Aug 23, 07 -Police certificate received

Sep 25, 07- I-130s both approved

Sep 29, 07- Packet 3 received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I've been here for almost a year now. Thankfully for me I came in 2005 with a J-1 visa and obtained a SSN & driving license. I'm not sure what I would do without it, even though my fiancé has to take the car to work most of the time, when I have it, it allows me a bit of freedom.

I'm getting criticized by my family who thinks I'm living in a bubble <_< Like we have a choice right?

There are all those steps we need to overcome to be able to be members of the society.

I recently found out that I could volunteer legally, and i'm taking steps to be involved in the community as I know the AOS will take a while and I won't be able to work for a few months or so.

The past months haven't always been easy, there are times when I feel so useless. I can't bring any money home, I don't get to meet new people all that much and it's just so frustrating.

I try to keep busy between taking care of the house, spending way too much time online and reading. It's not much but it helps. I look forward to volunteer, someone here posted a website, maybe you should check if there is something in your area: http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Talk to your husband about getting a bicycle, there is no need to carry a license for that one ;) and hopefully you can get around more and meet others.

I wish you good luck and faith in your future in the insane journey to be a LPR. Hang on there girl!

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, how does your husband feel, what does he say? Being homesick was inevitable but if the relationship is not good that is different. Do you have his support.

I have his support hes great but hes at work most of the time so i dont see him much. So im basically left to my own devices and its really not fun.

It sounds to me like you're dealing with a lot of frustrating stuff and some of your frustrations stem from the fact that you're not as free and mobile as you were back home. I think you should take care of the work/mobility issues first, then reassess in a few months.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Mandi,

This is indeed, not uncommon for recent immigrants. Most my students in Edmonton go through exactly the same thing. I usually 'push' them to do 3 things while their SIN (SSN in the US) etc etc etc is sorted out:

1.- Contact your ethnic association (Scottish Assoc. of NY or the like) and get to know folks from your country.

2.- Volunteer - i am sure you have a cause you're passionate about (I don't know, from Save the Panda to Street Kids to Battered Women to Animal Shelters). This gives you the double advantage of gaining US experience and ALWAYS looks nice in a resume. Also gives you a chance to meet people who share your passions!!!

3.- meetup.com as someone suggested is a super resource. You'd be amazed of the many groups that meet informally to talk about this and that.

Sending you good vibes, L.

Volunteering is the way forward.

Doesn't need to be shelters or kitty homes either, I volunteer at a National Park.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/bymsa/m160/c/opp1.html

Here's the volunteer match page for Albany, I betcha if you grab the phone book and look for charities and local government/museums etc you will find a lot of opportunities also.

Not having much to do is a pain at the time, but once you get a job etc you will look back and wonder what you were upset about (that is my feeling now).

Alternatively, take some classes. Photography, languages, crafts, there must be some community colleges near where you live.

If you can't drive, start on a bike. Cycling is great exercise also, and makes you feel happier.

The benefit to volunteering is that it gives you US references. Awesome all round.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey

there guys just wondered if anyone has come this far and quit. I am really homesick and just really want to call it a day. I am not enjoying my life here in NY at all ive cried most of the time being here as i miss Scotland I have no friends and family here and hate feeling so trapped. I have been here 8 months and just feel nothing is changing. I have return flight in sept im very tempted to just go back home ive had enough of dealing with all the paper work and not being able to work or drive and have a life its making me really depressed. I have no freedom in the USA which is so ironic in the land of the free.

mandi

What you are feeling is absolutely normal. Andre felt the same way when he came here, though not very homesick.

You are so far along in the process, if you hang in there just a bit more, you will find it will get easier. I would hate for you to go back, only to find you really missed your husband and then couldn't travel back very easily to see him anymore.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Volunteering is the way forward.

Doesn't need to be shelters or kitty homes either, I volunteer at a National Park.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/bymsa/m160/c/opp1.html

Here's the volunteer match page for Albany, I betcha if you grab the phone book and look for charities and local government/museums etc you will find a lot of opportunities also.

Not having much to do is a pain at the time, but once you get a job etc you will look back and wonder what you were upset about (that is my feeling now).

Alternatively, take some classes. Photography, languages, crafts, there must be some community colleges near where you live.

If you can't drive, start on a bike. Cycling is great exercise also, and makes you feel happier.

The benefit to volunteering is that it gives you US references. Awesome all round.

I could help the OP a lot more with volunteer opportunities if I knew if she was really in Albany or where she was exactly located. I say I'm from Albany, but I'm from Castleton-on-Hudson (small town 20 minutes out). If you get outside of Albany/Troy/Schenectady, the transportation issue DOES become an issue. (Biking 20 miles...bad.) It's been a year since I've been back there, so I just gave examples of what I had done while I lived there. That page is helpful, but some of those places are more than an hour away from another - makes it look like there's tons while in her area there may be limited options. Especially once you get too far out into farm land.

There's Hudson Valley Community College, and Schenectady County CC. I'll always recommend HVCC over SCCC.

To the OP - I grew up in that area, and if you want to PM me with your location so I can help you find things that are really in your area that may be doable - like I said, you may live in Albany or may not, because everyone from the smaller towns says Albany - hell, I didn't even live in Albany County and I say I'm from Albany. I know those cities like the back of my hand (and miss them), so I'd love to help.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline
I live in Colonie on the border to albany.

mandi

PM'd you everything I can think of at the moment, with applicable bus schedules and everything :D

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

mandi

PM'd you everything I can think of at the moment, with applicable bus schedules and everything :D

Meow Mix that is so kind of you!!! :star:

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

mandi

Meow Mix that is so kind of you!!! :star:

Haha, it took me about an hour to type it all up. I don't mind, I miss the area a lot (never though I'd say that) so it made me think/feel like home. Anytime she needs anything - hell, if I lived there still, I'd give her a ride if she needed to go somewhere and I could do it, now that I know what it feels like.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.