mandiuk

I want to go home :(

63 posts in this topic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fwaguy/Karly n Bruce - you're both right. I somehow managed to overlook where she said she'd been here for 8 months.

But it peeves me when people who have been here for 3 weeks or so on a K1 are told by idiot SSA workers that they're 'not eligible' to get a SSN.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
fwaguy/Karly n Bruce - you're both right. I somehow managed to overlook where she said she'd been here for 8 months.

But it peeves me when people who have been here for 3 weeks or so on a K1 are told by idiot SSA workers that they're 'not eligible' to get a SSN.

I agree we shouldn't have to know a person's job more than they do. However, when we have chosen to navigate the immigration process ourselves it is in our best interest to do so. Knowledge is King!

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey

there guys just wondered if anyone has come this far and quit. I am really homesick and just really want to call it a day. I am not enjoying my life here in NY at all ive cried most of the time being here as i miss Scotland I have no friends and family here and hate feeling so trapped. I have been here 8 months and just feel nothing is changing. I have return flight in sept im very tempted to just go back home ive had enough of dealing with all the paper work and not being able to work or drive and have a life its making me really depressed. I have no freedom in the USA which is so ironic in the land of the free.

mandi

So sorry to hear this ... it is a huge change and being so far away from friends & family is very hard. Do you belong to a church, to some type of organization that can be a support for you in the US? Can any of your friends/family from home come to see you here? Have you ever talked about moving to Scotland together?

I just got home from my first visit back home (it's been 5 months). I loved being there, and seeing my family but I honestly said to hubby on the way back "my home is no longer there, my home is with you". I know my feelings for my old home have changed now. I love it, treasure my relationships but my place is here. I truly hope that you can find that peace.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I agree we shouldn't have to know a person's job more than they do. However, when we have chosen to navigate the immigration process ourselves it is in our best interest to do so. Knowledge is King!

Agreed - which is why I post that link whenever possible. I may not have known, either, if someone hadn't posted it way back when for me to find.

Sorry to the OP about going off topic. :blush: (Its all my fault for not reading more carefully!!)

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

The whole thing sucks they wouldnt even give me a SSN for medical insurance so i have no medical insurance either. No one seems to know what there doing at the SSN and its too late now to do anything about it. Cant say its been a pleasant experience ive hated every minute of it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Get an ITIN from the IRS office for tax purposes that way you can get added to bank accounts and added to medical insurance. When you get your SSN just notify them of the changes. Mandi it is frustrating and I spent years depressed because of it but as soon as I got my first EAD things changed. I got a car, a job a LIFE! DH and I are much happier now that I have an existance outside of our marriage. Now we just have to juggle our lives so we can spend time together! :rolleyes: Hang in there Chicka!

My Timeline or lack of:-

08-29-2000 First met

03-02-2004 He proposed

03-19-2004 Married Cincinnati, OH

03-25-2004 Forms filled waiting on Certified Marriage License.

03-29-2004 3 Copies of certified marriage license handed to me at the local probate court with the $2 per copy fee waived!!!

04-17-2004 FULL packet mailed off finally to Cincinnati Local office.

04-29-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130 and I-485 for our son.

05-01-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130, I-485 and EAD for me.

06-15-2004 Appointment for Fingerprinting and Biometrics at Cincy Sub office. - DONE!

06-17-2004 Cases status for AOS's and EAD updated on USCIS website.

06-21-2004 Fingerprinting review recieved by MSC for I-485's processing resumed.

07-06-2004 Change of addresses sent out to Nebraska, Kentucky and Cincinnati.

08-04-2004 EAD Approved.

08-16-2004 Applied for SSN card at local SSA, relatively painless but with a quirk.

01-30-2006 Interview Cincinnati, APPROVED pending Medical and Vaccination Supplement.

03-14-2006 We're PREGNANT!!

03-23-2006 AOS Notice recieved!!!!

04-03-2006 Cards recieved!

04-24-2006 Miscarriage 12w

04-01-2007 Miscarriage 6w

06-01-2007 Fertility testing begins

07-29-2007 First trip back to England in 4 years.

03-26-2009 DS2 Arrival 7lb 8oz

05-17-2010 We're expecting AGAIN!!

01-13-2011 DD Arrival 6lb 6oz

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

As a thought, you might want to try meetup.com. it is a social network and you might find some groups of people that have similar interests as you.

Don't give up. It will not always be this way.

We have to wait to get Annie her License and one she got it, things lightened up.

John

PS, where in Scotland are you from?

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Other Timeline
Yeah, how does your husband feel, what does he say? Being homesick was inevitable but if the relationship is not good that is different. Do you have his support.

I have his support hes great but hes at work most of the time so i dont see him much. So im basically left to my own devices and its really not fun.

I'm puzzled by this part of your post. Probably you're just upset and typing away frantically.

BUT.....much of life and marriage is not 'fun'. It's unfortunate but it's also reality. The reality is especially harsh when you've elected to move 5000 miles from home. It's a huge adjustment and I think it takes a lot of guts and fortitude. I admire my husband (and those I have met on here) who have managed the adjustment and come out on the other end okay.

Is your husband really at work 'most of the time'? Beyond a normal 40 hour work week? If so, maybe you can speak to him about cutting back on this a bit. You might need a long weekend together or a holiday to reconnect. There are days when it's hard to remember why we've all done this. A little quiet introspection might help you remember.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh hun, I know things seem so horrible right now. I know how restricted and annoyed my hubby feels at times (and I know how I felt when I was in the UK at times). Thankfully the PA countryside reminds him a lot of home, so when he's feeling down, we go out, ride around, or go for long hikes in the mountains on one of the trails. All I heard yesterday was how much he felt like he was back in Scotland and how happy he was, and it was so wonderful. Have it out with your man, get him to make the effort. Maybe I'm ultrasensative but I do everything I can for my hubby to make him feel at home, from using Paisley slang around the house for him or when making shopping lists, to making his favourites like tattie scones and big fry ups. Surely if your husband knows the extent of your feelings he would do more to make you feel at home.

I know nothing is like the real thing, and with everything that happened this past weekend it is easy to just want to go and be with your family, but having been in the exact opposite situation, being in Scotland, 6 months pregnant, and actually packing it in, coming back to the USA, and in retrospect making a decision that made somethings easier on me, and some things much much more difficult for our family - I know it's hard, but stick it out at least until you have your GC, just in case - you don't want to have to go through all of this again should you decide in a few years time you want to come back.

That's my penny's worth. My heart really goes out to you and I wish I could do something to help you. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if you need a shoulder.

Edited by Leney

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Timeline
Oh hun, I know things seem so horrible right now. I know how restricted and annoyed my hubby feels at times (and I know how I felt when I was in the UK at times). Thankfully the PA countryside reminds him a lot of home, so when he's feeling down, we go out, ride around, or go for long hikes in the mountains on one of the trails. All I heard yesterday was how much he felt like he was back in Scotland and how happy he was, and it was so wonderful. Have it out with your man, get him to make the effort. Maybe I'm ultrasensative but I do everything I can for my hubby to make him feel at home, from using Paisley slang around the house for him or when making shopping lists, to making his favourites like tattie scones and big fry ups. Surely if your husband knows the extent of your feelings he would do more to make you feel at home.

I know nothing is like the real thing, and with everything that happened this past weekend it is easy to just want to go and be with your family, but having been in the exact opposite situation, being in Scotland, 6 months pregnant, and actually packing it in, coming back to the USA, and in retrospect making a decision that made somethings easier on me, and some things much much more difficult for our family - I know it's hard, but stick it out at least until you have your GC, just in case - you don't want to have to go through all of this again should you decide in a few years time you want to come back.

That's my penny's worth. My heart really goes out to you and I wish I could do something to help you. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if you need a shoulder.

Timeline

thanks leney and for all who asked im from Glasgow. Yes my husband is really at work all the time he got a new job that takes him away from home longer im not just having a bad day and typing frantically its really a fact. He is all i have here all his friends have moved away and and he doesnt have a big family.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mandi, I'm not even down there yet and I'm worried about the same thing. Our house is out in the country and I'm not even sure if I'll be bringing my car with me.

If your in town, maybe go down to the local animal shelter or something and volunteer there. Volunteer anywhere, you'll at least have a real person to talk to face to face. :)

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

it really sucked when I first moved here.. my hubby was working evenings/nights... anywhere from 12 to 15 hours :o

most of the day I spent by myself... I didn't have a car to go anywhere and it really wasn't a safe neighborhood to go walking around in.....

our weekends were usually ruined too because hubby would get home anywhere between 3 and 5 am Saturday morning and stay up for an hour or two and then sleep till about 3 or 4 pm... and the same thing would happen on Sunday....

but last August he got day shift and now he works from 6 am till about 3pm.. it is nice to have him home early and now our weekends are free and clear ...

It still sucks because I still don't have a car... and I am still stuck at home.....

hubby is working on getting started in a new and better career... so maybe sometime in the near future I will be able to get my own car :thumbs:

if you really love your hubby, I would stick it out.. yeah, it sucks but it probably will get a little better after awhile...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just hang in there. I think if you weren't facing these problems, things would be a lot better for you. I don't know the specifics on why you could not get your ssn...if was because you waited too long or some other reason, but whatever the reason, it's done. Don't try to dwell on that too much. If you love your husband and he loves you and is being supportive, just hold on.

Sometimes things pop up that we can't account for. Although it seems major now, soon it will pass.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.