Mega thx

F2A and FX category says the samething, which one I pick?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you are an LPR and you submitted an I-130 for your spouse, then your spouse picks F2A.

FX is similar to F2, but are not subject to country limitations.  I am not sure which country currently qualifies for FX, or perhaps it works just as a classification that the person was issues a visa even though the country exceeded it's annual quota but used underutilized world-wide quota?

4 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

If you are an LPR and you submitted an I-130 for your spouse, then your spouse picks F2A.

FX is similar to F2, but are not subject to country limitations.  I am not sure which country currently qualifies for FX, or perhaps it works just as a classification that the person was issues a visa even though the country exceeded it's annual quota but used underutilized world-wide quota? Thank you very much.

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

FX is similar to F2, but are not subject to country limitations.  I am not sure which country currently qualifies for FX, or perhaps it works just as a classification that the person was issues a visa even though the country exceeded it's annual quota but used underutilized world-wide quota?

FX is for family preference visa applicants who are exempt from the worldwide numerical limit. There are basically three groups this applies to:  

1) special immigrants, such as returning residents;

2) refugees;

3) certain Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) beneficiaries.

18 hours ago, jan22 said:

FX is for family preference visa applicants who are exempt from the worldwide numerical limit. There are basically three groups this applies to:  

2) refugees;

3) certain Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) beneficiaries.

We picked F2A category on the list. Our Visa category in the mail says F21 but there was no option for F21 at all so we picked F2A.  Someone told my spouse that F2A and F21 is completely different? So I got confused. There is no other choice that says f21 though. Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, Ultra Mega said:

We picked F2A category on the list. Our Visa category in the mail says F21 but there was no option for F21 at all so we picked F2A.  Someone told my spouse that F2A and F21 is completely different? So I got confused. There is no other choice that says f21 though. Thank you very much.

F21 is spouse of LPR, F22 is minor child of LPR, both are under F2A. You don’t pick the subcategories, you just pick F2A.

• 5 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, jan22 said:

2) refugees;

For Fx, nvc are scheduling based on the chronological order of periority date or dq date ?

On 3/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

For fx, nvc schedule based on the chronological order of priority date or dq date ?

On 3/30/2021 at 11:34 AM, jan22 said:

2) refugees;

Seeing as someone has posted and brought this thread back to attention 

I have since seen a couple of things that says that actually most F2A cases are issued as FX. This seems backed up by the actual issuance data for immigrant visas, both in overall numbers and the fact that they are the vast majority at every issuance post - many posts in fact only have fx and no F2A listed (latest month data here https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/JULY 2021 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf ). ( I cannot now remember what the reasoning was that most are exempt but it made sense when I read it … lol sorry)

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Seeing as someone has posted and brought this thread back to attention 

I have since seen a couple of things that says that actually most F2A cases are issued as FX. This seems backed up by the actual issuance data for immigrant visas, both in overall numbers and the fact that they are the vast majority at every issuance post - many posts in fact only have fx and no F2A listed (latest month data here https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/JULY 2021 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf ). ( I cannot now remember what the reasoning was that most are exempt but it made sense when I read it … lol sorry)

This is a slight over-simplification, but the F2A category is basically used when a priority date is not current -- which means there's been a calculation that a visa number is not available within the country limits -- or the PD just became current within the month of vIsa issuance.  When the PD becomes current -- meaning there should be a visa number within the country limits --  the visas for those whose PD just became current that month are issued as F2A visas, meaning they take up a vIsa number within that month's allocation.  For other applicants whose PDs were earlier than the date that just became current, the visa is issued as an FX, indicating that the visa is from a time period where the country limit was already taken into consideration for visa numbers, therefore meaning a visa number is still available for that person.  Not quite the definition of "exempt" as we know it, but it serves as confirmation that country limits were considered and adhered to.

However, as we know, PDs can change, and it might be possible that at the time of the interview, a visa number is no longer available. If that is the case --  there is no visa number available at the time of the interview -- it signifties that the PD is no longer current and a visa cannot be issued until visa numbers for the category are available again. The application remains in F2A status until the priority date is current again.

Edited by jan22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.