Gahmad

Administrative Processing......How long is too long?

52 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Cathi said:

That's quite a long time for Jordan, my husband and I were in AP for 7 weeks through Amman and I've only heard of a few other couples who were in AP longer than we were and I've been on this site since 2012. Did you have any RFE's and if so, what were they for?

Get in touch with the immigration liaison at one of your U.S. Senator's office and ask them to inquire on your behalf. They cannot speed up AP but inquiring just might get the consulate to look at your case. While we were in AP I emailed the consulate in Amman every two weeks and they always responded to my inquiries(the liaison recommended that we email). The email is listed on the consulate's website.

Also, what type of visa? And I do NOT recommend a writ of mandamus, it may not work in your favor.

The visa is for my husband, and I have emailed them numerous times.    Their response is : Your case has been updated, please log back into your account to view the datails.....The details are only an updated date.     I really don't understand what else they want.  I will try to get in contact with an immigration liaison, maybe that will help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Is it a CR1 visa?

I applied for my husband almost 10 years ago and an actual person would respond to my emails but a lot has changed since then. They didn't necessarily give me details about the status of the AP but they were always very kind. I would contact a liaison but remember, they will not be able to speed up AP. The one I dealt with years ago said at least the consulate will know that we're aware that you're in AP and that we're following your case. I also live in a small state where my senators and their staff are very accessible. It won't hurt to contact them.

1 minute ago, Cathi said:

Is it a CR1 visa?

I applied for my husband almost 10 years ago and an actual person would respond to my emails but a lot has changed since then. They didn't necessarily give me details about the status of the AP but they were always very kind. I would contact a liaison but remember, they will not be able to speed up AP. The one I dealt with years ago said at least the consulate will know that we're aware that you're in AP and that we're following your case. I also live in a small state where my senators and their staff are very accessible. It won't hurt to contact them.

Thanks so much, I will try and hopefully the Embassy in Amman can process the visa and finally give us an answer.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Gahmad said:

Thanks so much, I will try and hopefully the Embassy in Amman can process the visa and finally give us an answer.

Good luck, keep us updated and remember, if you have been married for 2 years or longer by the time he enters the U.S. it will automatically convert to an IR-1 and he'll get a 10 year green card instead of a 2 year and you won't need to remove conditions. So there is a bright side if AP takes a while.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Is it a CR1 visa?

10 yrs ago was before the Muslim ban (yes I know it has been repealed) and super vetting DS-5535 (has not been repealed. Things are a lot different now. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, HKS said:

10 yrs ago was before the Muslim ban (yes I know it has been repealed) and super vetting DS-5535 (has not been repealed. Things are a lot different now. 

Her AP has nothing to do with the Muslim ban as Jordan was never on the list of banned countries and people did not have extended AP through Jordan during the 4 years Trump was in office(I watch my portal). In fact, my mother in law and sister in law both received visitor visas through Amman that are valid for 10 years in late 2017, with ease.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Her AP has nothing to do with the Muslim ban as Jordan was never on the list of banned countries and people did not have extended AP through Jordan during the 4 years Trump was in office(I watch my portal). In fact, my mother in law and sister in law both received visitor visas through Amman that are valid for 10 years in late 2017, with ease.

All im saying is that mena countries have a harder time these days. Did OP get ds5535?  
I have seen several have extended AP lately from Jordan. Idk what the deal is. I know some got DS5535. I know men are having harder time as well. Im just saying u cant assume to know what the AP is and how fast it will go without details of case and knowing what the CO at the Embassy is thinking. 

2 hours ago, Gahmad said:

I understand but this AP is keeping families apart for a very long time. 

Again, when you make the choice to immigrate, that is an expected part of the process.   Some family-based visas are relatively quick, others take 20 years.

If periods of time apart are unacceptable, maybe immigration is not the best option.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Again, when you make the choice to immigrate, that is an expected part of the process.   Some family-based visas are relatively quick, others take 20 years.

If periods of time apart are unacceptable, maybe immigration is not the best option.

coming  from someone who's process took what 9 months....  

when two ppl from different countries marry one person immigrates.  

1 hour ago, HKS said:

Wait times vary, but my point is that’s part of the process when we choose to marry someone from a different country.

9 hours ago, Cathi said:

Good luck, keep us updated and remember, if you have been married for 2 years or longer by the time he enters the U.S. it will automatically convert to an IR-1 and he'll get a 10 year green card instead of a 2 year and you won't need to remove conditions. So there is a bright side if AP takes a while.

True , thanks .

5 hours ago, HKS said:

I get that, and there is a process that we followed..... Now what it's frustrating is that after all the paperwork and proof we sent, they also investigate, the AP takes so long from countries in the middle east.    Other places don't take that long.   Over 14 months in AP,  please.    

o

2 minutes ago, Gahmad said:

I get that, and there is a process that we followed..... Now what it's frustrating is that after all the paperwork and proof we sent, they also investigate, the AP takes so long from countries in the middle east.    Other places don't take that long.   Over 14 months in AP,  please.    

o

Imagine how long the wait would be if they did extensive security checks on candidates who, for whatever reason, won't reach the interview phase? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.