timk

CFO question. Unusual circumstances

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, timk said:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to try and revise this thread, as I have another question.

My wife was successfully able to amend her original CFO certificate, from her single to married name. 

We now have her temp. certificate, which will expire on July 31, 2021.

THE CFO rep has not exactly been clear with us regarding the use of the temporary, vs the official document with sticker that they will send in a few weeks.

"You may use your OF-CORS temporary certificate on your departure if you have a scheduled flight prior to July 31, 2021 (the validity of the temporary certificate). As the OF-CORS temporary certificate is only valid until July 31, 2021, you will still need to receive your original CFO registration sticker and GCC which do not have expiry dates."

So I am either an idiot, or the above comments from the CFO rep does not make any sense to me. 

My question: Are we able to fly using the temporary certificate prior to the expiration date? She is ready to go, so we do not want to wait another "few weeks" if we do not have to. 

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated if somebody can help us out here. 

Yes.  We used the temporary certificate to leave in February. We were not waiting around for any stickers or official document to be sent in the mail. Both the airline at prescreening and immigration had no questions. Others on this board have done the same thing. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Just now, timk said:

Fantastic!

Really appreciate the response. 

Just for fun I just checked if the official document ever came to the address we gave and it has not. So we would have been waiting almost 3 months for nothing. Your fine to go as is and try leaving as soon as you can and get out of that nightmare there. 👍

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

6 hours ago, timk said:

Not surprising at all, and yes....flights will be booked for her and the kiddos this week. Just need to find a decent Covid testing facility with 24 hr results. 

If your flying PAL they have the testing center in ermita. Results back in less than 24 hours. 

3 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

If your flying PAL they have the testing center in ermita. Results back in less than 24 hours. 

Are the PAL facilities restricted to only PAL passengers?  I could not find any definitive information on that.

They do have a lot of good testing information on their website:

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/TravelingWithinThePH/PAL_COVID-19_TestingPartners

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/DepartingFromThePH/DestinationsRequiringCOVID-19Testing

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

2 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Are the PAL facilities restricted to only PAL passengers?  I could not find any definitive information on that.

They do have a lot of good testing information on their website:

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/TravelingWithinThePH/PAL_COVID-19_TestingPartners

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/DepartingFromThePH/DestinationsRequiringCOVID-19Testing

You should double check with them but it appeared they are not. It appeared PAL passengers received a discount on the PCR test from 4500p to 3300p. Not sure on the antigen test. I’m pretty sure anyone can go to the testing center though. 

If it's for US, a Rapid Antigen test is sufficient.  My wife just got her Rapid Antigen test for our Peru trip from these guys. https://www.internationalsps.com/covid-testing. Rapid Antigen swab test was P1400 and she walked out with a proper test result certificate in 20 minutes.  They also have mobile service in Metro Manila area where they would come to you for P500 extra charge.  So P1900 for Rapid Antigen testing wherever you are.  But my wife declined that service on the basis that she didn't want to have to explain to the neighbors why a van with a PPE clad swabbing team showed up at her condo.  RT-PCR is also available from them with guaranteed time for results although unless it's a destination or airline that requires RT-PCR it's hard to see the benefit of that over Rapid Antigen test.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

They will not be flying PAL, as there is no guarantee the flight will actually happen getting out of there. I'm pretty much settled on booking a flight with United, as they are not reporting any cancellations. 

On PAL's website however, it does mention that all US bound passengers need the RT-PCR test. Can anyone 100% confirm this? While speaking to the United rep, he didn't seem too knowledgeable on which type of test was needed. 

27 minutes ago, timk said:

They will not be flying PAL, as there is no guarantee the flight will actually happen getting out of there. I'm pretty much settled on booking a flight with United, as they are not reporting any cancellations. 

On PAL's website however, it does mention that all US bound passengers need the RT-PCR test. Can anyone 100% confirm this? While speaking to the United rep, he didn't seem too knowledgeable on which type of test was needed. 

US entry requirements are either a PCR or antigen test taken within 72 hours of your flight.  However, you need to double check the transiting country on what there requirements are as well.  Some countries require a PCR test to transit, some say you can have a PCR or antigen test while others say no test at all for transit.  If you have any doubts at all, the PCR test is the safer way to go.

1 hour ago, top_secret said:

But my wife declined that service on the basis that she didn't want to have to explain to the neighbors why a van with a PPE clad swabbing team showed up at her condo.  

Smartest thing she could have done.  Otherwise the whole barangay would be under lockdown for weeks and people dragged out of their homes.  Some provincial towns were having government officials go house to house searching for COVID positive people so they could drag them off to a hospital or makeshift "medical center".

18 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Smartest thing she could have done.  Otherwise the whole barangay would be under lockdown for weeks and people dragged out of their homes.  Some provincial towns were having government officials go house to house searching for COVID positive people so they could drag them off to a hospital or makeshift "medical center".

Her barangay has kind of been taking a don't ask don't tell approach to COVID in the neighborhood.  They would prefer not to notice anything COVID related. Which is fine.  But it was pretty convenient for her to go down to the test center and get a 20 minute Rapid Antigen test.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Flicks, great point. Safe than sorry. Not sure what is the protocol for Guam and Hawaii for transit.

Thanks to top_secret for posting the link for ISPS. Turns out they have a testing center 10 minutes away from my Asawa. A literal relief. 

On 4/28/2021 at 11:04 PM, timk said:

Flicks, great point. Safe than sorry. Not sure what is the protocol for Guam and Hawaii for transit.

Thanks to top_secret for posting the link for ISPS. Turns out they have a testing center 10 minutes away from my Asawa. A literal relief. 

Hawaii has their own requirements and technically they require a test taken within 72 hours of boarding your flight.  However the federal requirements (CDC) are 3 days and not 72 hours.  This gives more flexibility to the traveler.  Im sure the agents for the airlines in the Philippines are going to stick to the 72 hour rule and just for smooth traveling, I would use that as your guidance as well. 

For Guam nothing was listed for any test requirements:  Travellers transiting through Guam International Airport (GUM) will be required to remain in designated portions of the airport while awaiting connecting flights for less than 13 hours.
(Until further notice)

Edited by flicks1998

On 4/29/2021 at 8:09 AM, top_secret said:

They also have mobile service in Metro Manila area where they would come to you for P500 extra charge.

I suspect that the P500 "come to you" service has some tight restrictions.  That is cheap for a home service of that type.  If anyone finds out, let us know.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.