timk

CFO question. Unusual circumstances

31 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

It's been a few years since I have requested help/opinions on Visa Journey.

My journey has been very long and drawn out, so I will try to summarize best I can. 

2014-2015: My then fiancé received her K-1, attended the CFO seminar in Manila, and received her certificate. 
                      Visa arrived all in good time, but we were unable to make the transition to America due to rotten circumstances that lasted MONTHS. Visa expired out. No Sticker.

2018: We married in Phil, filed for CR-1/IR-1 one year later, and she just received her second Visa 2 weeks ago. 

It is my understanding, that her CFO certificate does not expire. Since we already have her new Visa and the certificate of completion, does anyone know what with the "new normal" online classes, how we would obtain the sticker?

I have been having a heck of a time trying to contact CFO via phone. 

Thank you all.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum; topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It does expire out and there is an expiration date on it. Ours was good for slightly less than 6 months. Also you don’t need the “sticker” to leave. They will email you the “certificate” and that can be used at immigration.  Don’t wait around for them to mail it to you. It may never come. Print the certificate from the email. We just did all this last month. 

The class is just a phone call with a consular and last about 15 minutes. That is the class. After as long as they have all the documents they asked for they will email the certificate. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

2 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

I haven't seen a expiration on CFO sticker either

If no expiration date then you should be good to go

I just looked at my wife's certificate and there is no expiration.

Perhaps the passport stamps had an expiration?

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

No expiration on my wife's either.  She did the seminar for our denied K-1 so she never got her sticker until over a year later with our CR-1.  They never questioned it.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

We had an expiration date of 

15 hours ago, timk said:

Flicks, thank you for the info.

Weird.....ours does not have an expiration date on the certificate. Thank you again.

Ours was issued on February 8th 2021 and in the bottom left corner there is "Valid until July 31st, 2021."  We left the Philippines on February 19th.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

15 hours ago, timk said:

Flicks, thank you for the info.

Weird.....ours does not have an expiration date on the certificate. Thank you again.

I just checked a few immigration law websites and it appears the CFO has no expiration date.  However, I am clueless as to why ours was given an expiration date of July 31st.  It wouldnt have had an effect as the visa expiration was much sooner.  Maybe the expiration date is a "new thing"?  🙄  As others have said, if you have no expiration date you should be good to go.

Edited by flicks1998

If I read it right, the temporary certificate expires. 

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

20 minutes ago, angeljolie said:

If I read it right, the temporary certificate expires. 

That could be. That’s the one we used to leave the country. It would have been a few weeks to receive the permanent one by mail. 

Edited by flicks1998

4 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

That could be. That’s the one we used to leave the country. It would have been a few weeks to receive the permanent one by mail. 

Yes, that is it.  There is a post with a picture:

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

8 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Yes, that is it.  There is a post with a picture:

Yes great find.  Thats exactly what ours looked like.  Appears the temporary certificate does have an expiration date.  The expiration date may not be an issue that its so far out that it appears the visa would expire before the CFO temp certificate. 

I finally got in touch with a CFO rep via FB chat. Calling was a nightmare of course. They basically said the certificate does not expire, but that we still need to register via the "pink button" on the CFO website, in order to get the sticker she needs. 

I guess the pink button is the registration link for people that have already completed the seminar, but were in a holding pattern for various reasons. 

Has anyone experienced a similar procedure in recent times?

(Ironically within the past 48 hours, that Facebook page no longer exists. Unreal....)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I wanted to try and revise this thread, as I have another question.

My wife was successfully able to amend her original CFO certificate, from her single to married name. 

We now have her temp. certificate, which will expire on July 31, 2021.

THE CFO rep has not exactly been clear with us regarding the use of the temporary, vs the official document with sticker that they will send in a few weeks.

"You may use your OF-CORS temporary certificate on your departure if you have a scheduled flight prior to July 31, 2021 (the validity of the temporary certificate). As the OF-CORS temporary certificate is only valid until July 31, 2021, you will still need to receive your original CFO registration sticker and GCC which do not have expiry dates."

So I am either an idiot, or the above comments from the CFO rep does not make any sense to me. 

My question: Are we able to fly using the temporary certificate prior to the expiration date? She is ready to go, so we do not want to wait another "few weeks" if we do not have to. 

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated if somebody can help us out here. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.