seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

FYI: the letter from SSA stated that I can only request up to 3 times for card replacement and 10 times in my lifetime.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, JourneyFromA2 said:

FYI: the letter from SSA stated that I can only request up to 3 times for card replacement and 10 times in my lifetime.

(2) Limits on the number of replacement cards. There are limits on the number of replacement social security number cards we will issue to you. You may receive no more than three replacement social security number cards in a year and ten replacement social security number cards per lifetime. We may allow for reasonable exceptions to these limits on a case-by-case basis in compelling circumstances. We also will consider name changes (i.e., verified legal changes to the first name and/or surname) and changes in alien status which result in a necessary change to a restrictive legend on the SSN card (see paragraph (e)(3) of this section) to be compelling circumstances, and will not include either of these changes when determining the yearly or lifetime limits. We may grant an exception if you provide evidence establishing that you would experience significant hardship if the card were not issued. An example of significant hardship includes, but is not limited to, providing SSA with a referral letter from a governmental social services agency indicating that the social security number card must be shown in order to obtain benefits or services.

(3) Restrictive legend change defined. Based on a person's immigration status, a restrictive legend may appear on the face of an SSN card to indicate that work is either not authorized or that work may be performed only with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) authorization. This restrictive legend appears on the card above the individual's name and SSN. Individuals without work authorization in the U.S. receive SSN cards showing the restrictive legend, “Not Valid for Employment;” and SSN cards for those individuals who have temporary work authorization in the U.S. show the restrictive legend, “Valid For Work Only With DHS Authorization.” U.S. citizens and individuals who are permanent residents receive SSN cards without a restrictive legend. For the purpose of determining a change in restrictive legend, the individual must have a change in immigration status or citizenship which results in a change to or the removal of a restrictive legend when compared to the prior SSN card data. An SSN card request based upon a change in immigration status or citizenship which does not affect the restrictive legend will count toward the yearly and lifetime limits, as in the case of Permanent Resident Aliens who attain U.S. citizenship.

Yes. Meaning when changing your name the new card does not count towards your lifetime limit, neither does the card you've had to get to remove the "only valid for work bla bla" text on it. 

So I take it those of us who changed our name when we became citizens technically got an SS card that doesn't count against the limit. But those who didn't and only updated their citizenship status (and didn't have the "only valid for work with authorization" text on the old card) will count against their lifetime limit. 

I have had a few already. First one in my maiden name with the restriction text on it. Then another in my married name with the restriction text. Then one without the restriction, and now finally the fourth one that I will have for a long time - in my new name and no restrictions. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 hours ago, JourneyFromA2 said:

There are lots of exceptions. Suffice to say that if your house burns down 10 times, you will get that 11th SS card.  

The rule exists to limit the underground market for SS cards.  

Timeline
On 11/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, JourneyFromA2 said:

Just went thorough the same thing:

11/08/2021:  Mailed letter, passport card and SS-5 form to Fort Wayne, IN SSA office

11/15/2021:  Received passport card back via USPS

11/20/2021:  Received letter from Fort Wayne, IN SSA stating that I should receive my new card in 2 weeks (letter dated 11/17/2021)

I checked SSA's site and in the "Request a Replacement Social Security Card" section shows that it is currently being updated and new information should be available after November 25, 2021.

11/26/2021: Received actual card in the mail

I think I’m all set. what a relieve. Also a relieve knowing that if something should happen to me, wife is set to receive as I’ve already accumulated my 40 points. 

What a journey it has been. 

Edited by JourneyFromA2

• 2 weeks later...

Very good thread. I am on a different boat, I lost my DL and does not want to get a replacement in the old name, then apply for a new one in the new name. DMV will only renew with new name if it matches SSN. Now what are my options? 

Can I just send my passport + name change order? Or do I still need to send DL? I am in Seattle. Anyone have recent experience? 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MGMA said:

Very good thread. I am on a different boat, I lost my DL and does not want to get a replacement in the old name, then apply for a new one in the new name. DMV will only renew with new name if it matches SSN. Now what are my options? 

Can I just send my passport + name change order? Or do I still need to send DL? I am in Seattle. Anyone have recent experience? 

I bet Seattle has tons of SSA offices, you should call your local office and ask. We have seen offices ask for different documents, seems like not every office requires the same documents. So better to ask your local one for a certain answer on what they need from you. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, MGMA said:

afaik your DL is only a form of identity. If you had your passport, that’s enough of an identity to get your SS. Along with your name change doc, you should be good to go. 

Here is a good link you can use to see what documents you will need: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Called my local office to make a name change and citizenship change. They only asked for the form + my passport + name change court order (original).

USPS reported it delivered few hour ago. I logged in, at the top of home page I can see my new name. When I click "replace...", I see my old name at the top and it say I am not a citizen. 

I do not know if they actually quickly actioned my name change and the system still updating for citizenship name, or if they made the name change without my request by knowing this info from the court directly. Will see next few days if it switches to citizen. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, MGMA said:

Called my local office to make a name change and citizenship change. They only asked for the form + my passport + name change court order (original).

USPS reported it delivered few hour ago. I logged in, at the top of home page I can see my new name. When I click "replace...", I see my old name at the top and it say I am not a citizen. 

I do not know if they actually quickly actioned my name change and the system still updating for citizenship name, or if they made the name change without my request by knowing this info from the court directly. Will see next few days if it switches to citizen. 

Glad usps / SSA didn’t lose your passport.  I will never mail a passport to SSA. This is why the passport card exists.  

15 hours ago, MGMA said:

It was just a delay on the system. Both screens now show my new name and I got the message that they are updating my records today. So I think my local office was that quick receiving my application yesterday and processing it the same day. 

I used the Dropbox approach at my local SSA but I actually picked up my passport physically instead Of SSA mailing it back to me. I called my SSA office and they asked me to submit my SS-5 form with passport or Naturalization cert via mail or Dropbox and also my documents will be returned via UPS or i could pick up when the SS-5 is processed. I used the same letter template here and I also indicated in the letter that I wanted to pick up my passport instead of via mail.

12/22/2021 Submitted passport, SS-5 form  and cover letter via SSA dropbox 

12/27/2021 Got a call from SSA to pick up passport.
12/28/2021 Picked up passport and was also given a letter that I will be receiving my SS card in two weeks.

Happy Holidays everyone! Glad USCIS journey is over. Got citizenship, a passport, passport card, updated drivers license and also updated SSN before 2021 is over!!! 

N400 (5 years)

02/13/2021 Applied online

02/13/2021 NOA1 online

02/17/2021 NOA1 hard copy letter received

02/28/2021 Biometric reuse online 

03/12/2021 Biometric reuse hard copy letter received

08/23/2021 Interview notification via email

10/04/2021 Interview date (Decision cannot be made yet, pending supervisor review)

11/05/2021 Approved!!! Woohoo!!! Received email notification.

11/19/2021 Oath scheduled 

• 1 month later...

Depending on who you get over the phone if you are lucky to get an agent from your local SSA office, 

1. They set up an appointment with them if you are really lucky, it all depends on who you get over the phone

2. Dropbox approach with all your forms and evidence 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi. I'm updating my SS card. I still have my maiden name on my old one and I need to change my citizenship status. I haven't received my naturalization certificate back after I applied for my passport. What documents do I need to take with me? Passport, marriage certificate, ID? Also, on the form they are asking for my parents' SS number but they are not US citizens. What do I put down? N/A, leave t blank, or unknown? Thanks!

Timeline
4 hours ago, keyuree1 said:

Hi. I'm updating my SS card. I still have my maiden name on my old one and I need to change my citizenship status. I haven't received my naturalization certificate back after I applied for my passport. What documents do I need to take with me? Passport, marriage certificate, ID? Also, on the form they are asking for my parents' SS number but they are not US citizens. What do I put down? N/A, leave t blank, or unknown? Thanks!

When I went to SSA they asked for my naturalization certificate that shows my new name (had to be the original), my name change document, my passport (that also shows my new name) and my drivers license (old name). Easy peasy, took a couple of minutes and then a few extra for them to take copies of all my originals.

You don't need to put anything under SSN for your parents if they don't have any. 

Edited by Scandi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, keyuree1 said:

Hi there, I am going through the process myself too. I just received my passport book. Sadly I didn't order a passport card. I am still waiting for my NC to be returned. By going through all the threads here. I am planning to go to my local SSA office and give them the documents:

1. my new passport book

2. name change court order

3. application

On the instruction of the form, if your parents don't have SSN number, you can check 'unknown'.

Edited by nepttako

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.