TBoneTX

All F2B Updates in This Thread (Part 2)

739 posts in this topic

I agree that being optimistic is better than being pessimistic, but I am presenting facts based on data. If we look back to 2010-11, it typically takes 8-9 years, I dont know how they waited that long(somehow it came back around 6.5 years before pandemic) and now we find ourselves in that phase again. look at the historical issuance of preference visas each fiscal Year over a 10-year average, they usually issue around 20k in F1 and F2B categories annually. However the current focus is more on employment-based visas, which may result in spill overs plus there seems to be a growing number of applicants in F1 and F2B with minimal movement. anyway let's hope for the best.

My friend recently immigrated to Canada through a point-based migration system. He suggested that I apply as well. It took him 6 months for the entire process after selection. USA should follow that system instead this brutal process.

27 minutes ago, xavier2014 said:

My friend recently immigrated to Canada through a point-based migration system. He suggested that I apply as well. It took him 6 months for the entire process after selection. USA should follow that system instead this brutal process.

You're comparing a family based route with a skills/education based route though, so not really a fair comparison. Those that qualify for PR via the EE points based system in Canada would often qualify for a work based visa for the US as well, which can be even quicker.

If you compare like for like, then sponsoring an adult child isn't an option for Canadian citizens, unless that child is disabled and financially dependent on them, or that child is their only living relative. So it may take a long time in the US, but at least it's possible.

Edited by appleblossom

25 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

You're comparing a family based route with a skills/education based route though, so not really a fair comparison. Those that qualify for PR via the EE points based system in Canada would often qualify for a work based visa for the US as well, which can be even quicker.

If you compare like for like, then sponsoring an adult child isn't an option for Canadian citizens, unless that child is disabled and financially dependent on them, or that child is their only living relative. So it may take a long time in the US, but at least it's possible.

In my post where I compared the systems, I am aware of the Canadian immigration process, many of us are qualified enough to migrate there. I am suggesting that the U.S. should have a similar kind of system(work experience, ielts/toefl, degree etc). The majority of my family lives in the U.S so why would I want to immigrate to Canada?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, xavier2014 said:

In my post where I compared the systems, I am aware of the Canadian immigration process, many of us are qualified enough to migrate there. I am suggesting that the U.S. should have a similar kind of system(work experience, ielts/toefl, degree etc). The majority of my family lives in the U.S so why would I want to immigrate to Canada?

To simplify, we can say that a lot of F2B beneficiaries have educational qualifications as well as work experience, but are unable to get sponsorship from their employers, for whatever reasons. Since they are being sponsored by their parents, they should be provided with an expedited process to get their visa or adjust their status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, RR159 said:

Immigration visa efficiency and security act 2023: is this new bill going to help, or hurt, current applicants?

Sounds another version of EAGLE, DoA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
13 hours ago, xavier2014 said:

but I am presenting facts based on data. If we look back to 2010-11, it typically takes 8-9 years, I dont know how they waited that long(somehow it came back around 6.5 years before pandemic) and now we find ourselves in that phase again. look at the historical issuance of preference visas each fiscal Year over a 10-year average, they usually issue around 20k in F1 and F2B categories annually. However the current focus is more on employment-based visas, which may result in spill overs plus there seems to be a growing number of applicants in F1 and F2B with minimal movement.

We have been doing analysis, making predictions and speculating for the last 3 years now and nobody has nailed it. Point is, even with the data we have been provided, you have seen that we simply cannot speculate! We have been and are still in unprecedented times, nobody knows out here what the future holds. 

5 hours ago, RR159 said:

Immigration visa efficiency and security act 2023: is this new bill going to help, or hurt, current applicants?

I guess it will create a backlog in the family category. Just look at F1 and F2B in the last 10 years, they consistently fell short of fulfilling the allocated quota(except for a few occasions). meanwhile, you never see any unused visas in the EB categories during this period.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/15/2023 at 2:49 AM, xavier2014 said:

I guess it will create a backlog in the family category. Just look at F1 and F2B in the last 10 years, they consistently fell short of fulfilling the allocated quota(except for a few occasions). meanwhile, you never see any unused visas in the EB categories during this period.

Agreed that it will create more backlog than solving the problem. When the per country limit is 7%, Dominican Republic already received more than 12% (in 2023). Now they are proposing a limit of 15% for family categories, MAYBE DR will now receive 25%+. 

Meanwhile rest of the world will continue to suffer.

Instead why can’t they enforce the existing rules? Since DR is grossly oversubscribed, they should set up a new PD cutoff date for DR, just like Mexico, India, China or Philippines. 

Timeline

There is a Bill that will remove the country caps, EAGLE Act, seems to come up every year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

15 hours ago, RR159 said:

Agreed that it will create more backlog than solving the problem. When the per country limit is 7%, Dominican Republic already received more than 12% (in 2023). Now they are proposing a limit of 15% for family categories, MAYBE DR will now receive 25%+. 

Meanwhile rest of the world will continue to suffer.

Instead why can’t they enforce the existing rules? Since DR is grossly oversubscribed, they should set up a new PD cutoff date for DR, just like Mexico, India, China or Philippines. 

I dont know how NVC or USCIS overlooks the cap set by Congress. While I don't see an issue with the DR receiving extra visas, given the unused visas(2-5k each) in F1 and F2B, but obtaining half of the allocated visas seems significant. It appears as if there might be lobbying involved, similar to the EB categories

By the way, embassy also set PD date, thats why you would see DR usually used to get 200-300 visas before pandemic somehow it has changed.

On 12/15/2023 at 2:49 AM, xavier2014 said:

There were lots of unused visas in the EB categories in that period. Nearly 67,000 went unused in 2021 alone.

Consulates don't set the Priority Dates, it's managed by the DoS. And the DR hasn't gone over the legal quota at any point, it would create a huge furore if they did and open up all sorts of legal challenges. The monthly reports aren't helpful or relevant really. Here is last year's annual report on the visas issued subject to the country cap for info - https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2022AnnualReport/FY22_TableV.pdf

Timeline

I believe that there is a max number that can be issued and they try and use all the ones they have but I think there is no obligation.

19 hours ago, appleblossom said:

There were lots of unused visas in the EB categories in that period. Nearly 67,000 went unused in 2021 alone.

Consulates don't set the Priority Dates, it's managed by the DoS. And the DR hasn't gone over the legal quota at any point, it would create a huge furore if they did and open up all sorts of legal challenges. The monthly reports aren't helpful or relevant really. Here is last year's annual report on the visas issued subject to the country cap for info - https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2022AnnualReport/FY22_TableV.pdf

In 2018, the Dominican Republic received almost 11k F2B visas, contributing to a total of 26k visas issued worldwide. However, this didn't hinder movement. I believe the issue lies in the inability to fulfill the annual 26k quota. Hopefully, we'll witness a significant movement soon.

wow 67k unused EB visas in 2021, I heard 20k family visas spilling over into the EB category last year. Regardless, as long as it's not wasted, there doesn't seem to be an issue

DR.2018.png

movement.pd.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.