Commish10

Tapping Out

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So Utah allows online marriages without regard to residency or Citizenship. The license can be obtained online, and the ceremony can be done by video.

If I decide to do this is there anyway to convert the K1 to a CR1?

Do I have to cancel the K1 before I file the I-130's?

Do I just inform the embassy of my intentions?

Any reason why we should not do this? Today is 1 year since our interview is cancelled and I do not see thing getting better in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adventine said:

If you get married, you will not be able to "keep your place in line". You will invalidate your K1 and you will have to go to the back of the line of all the other CR1/IR1 applicants.

Also, as @Lucky Cat mentioned, even if you get married online, you still need to meet in person before filing for the spousal visa. Also keep in mind that the lucky poster who started this thread had an extraordinarily fast visa approval. There is no guarantee that your spousal visa will be anywhere as fast. Approved Spouse Visa. Zoom Marriage! - IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports - VisaJourney

I'm sorry for your troubles and for everyone else in the same position. There are no easy choices. It's incredibly hard.

Very well stated.  There are no easy choices these days.....

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

You'd be in for a much longer wait if you switched now IMO.  You're close to the finish line.  If I were in your shoes, I'd wait it out. 

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

57 minutes ago, NeonParticles said:

You'd be in for a much longer wait if you switched now IMO.  You're close to the finish line.  If I were in your shoes, I'd wait it out. 

I would be sick and tired of waiting it out.

I would fly to another country and get married and file a spousal visa.

K1 Visa interviews being put on hold could last well into next year 

23 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

I would be sick and tired of waiting it out.

I would fly to another country and get married and file a spousal visa.

K1 Visa interviews being put on hold could last well into next year 

I mean... with how the Philippines has been, it's likely your spouse would get locked out if you tried this.  I just don't see any way to win going down either path right now.

The CR-1 path almost makes more sense for someone like me who's not all that far into the process, but I wouldn't even know where to start or which countries allow this.

Edited by NeonParticles

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancé and I met in the Philippines twice, 2018 and in 2019. In 2019 we were together 6mos. Having lived together those times, would your advise be different since we have met were we to marry online and file for the spousal visa? Our NOA2 was received July 2020. TIA

1 hour ago, NeonParticles said:

I mean... with how the Philippines has been, it's likely your spouse would get locked out if you tried this.  I just don't see any way to win going down either path right now.

The CR-1 path almost makes more sense for someone like me who's not all that far into the process, but I wouldn't even know where to start or which countries allow this.

Seen one guy on here went to Costa Rica last month he posted on here, meet his gf there and I think they got married there.  Hopefully he will chime in, he post from time to time.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, Dhilman2 said:

My fiancé and I met in the Philippines twice, 2018 and in 2019. In 2019 we were together 6mos. Having lived together those times, would your advise be different since we have met were we to marry online and file for the spousal visa?

You will need proof that you were physically together AFTER getting married.  No point getting married online and invalidating your K1 case if you are not able to meet afterwards anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.