2,947 posts in this topic

Anyone gotten VAWA approved without police report?

renderTimingPixel.png

Has anyone gotten VAWA approved without police report?

I've been married to my husband for about three years now. We filed for the I-130 in Feb of 2020 and still have not gotten it approved. It's gotten to the point where we cannot be together anymore. He went through a traumatic experienced brought on by himself, and has refused to come out of it. He stole money, lied to me, threatened to kill me and my family, spit on me, and is now demanding I lower the amount of money my parents gave him (not I), if not he will not finish my immigration paper.

I cannot stand this anymore. I've gone to therapists in the past because it got so bad. I had to switch my insurance and unfortunately my insurance is no longer covering my sessions, but I've kept up and honestly the only book that helped me most realize the abuse that I was going through is "Why does he do that?"

I told him I was not lowering the amount my parents are owed because that is not my money, it is a transaction between him and my family. I also told him this is ridiculous because I did not marry him for papers, we were together for a year and a half before marriage and started the immigration process and a year and a half, almost two years after that. There was no pressure to start the process to get it as soon as possible. I wanted to be sure things would be okay between us and that we'd actually last.

Everyone I've talked has told me to file a police report against him. The problem is I'm scared to do so. He's told me he had a gun before, when I found out he doesn't, and I can't think of any reason apart from intimidation. He has pretty violent speech- but I honestly still believe that if you don't do anything to him, he won't do anything to you.

I want to report him and build a more solid case. But I'm also scared that even a restraining order can't keep him away. I don't want to live a life in paranoia.

I've been on Witholding of Removal since 2010 (entered the US as a child in 2003 at 4 years old).

We filed for the I-130 in February of 2020.

No response yet.

Filed for DACA just recently and am positive I will get approved if this changes anything. 

I have letters from my doctors, pastor, friends, and evidence of him spitting on me, text messages of him threatening my family, testimonies from my neighbors who have heard the fighting (who is also a cop and advised me to file against him), everything you can imagine. I'm just terrified of filing a police report. I feel damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello  Vjf...does anyone live in Texas, Dallas precisely. I need to contact my congressman but the office has been moved and its in the suburbs, since they moved their office line is not going through again . The other senator in the city, staff are never helpful. They always say uscis has a large volume of work, that's always been their response. They don't want to help .  Pls which other senator can I contact ? 

Thank you guys, your input will be very uch appreciated..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Evasn said:

How fast you got an interview after your congressman reached out to them? 

They never responded to mine since January.

I made two inquiries, the first one was August 2020 ( they said I would be scheduled for interview when a date becomes available).

The second inquiry was January 2021 When my congresswoman reached out to them we received a response that my interview was scheduled for 02/01/2021 but, I never received my interview letter, so they provide me with a copy. Then , we had a snowstorm in NYC and they canceled my interview 😂 and rescheduled it for 03/23/2021. 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Kaydan said:

Hi! In November, I came to usa with k12 visa, and we got married in December. we received the first AOS notification in late December. my wife's in the military. and she's always harassing me and kicking me out of the house. She used my status to harass me. I depend on her, i don't have work permit, i don't have any status and no one here.for months, she was constantly beating me, and I constantly had bruises and wounds on my body. because of the constant pressure and violence, I couldn't take it anymore and had to call the police. and because of domestic violence, my wife stayed in jail1 night. and we talked again the other day, and she said that there would be no more violence, that she regretted it. I believed her, and we got back together. I called the detective and told him I didn't want a prison charge, and the case was dropped. but yesterday she hit me again 3 times and left the house. I can't make any contact with her right now. I have video recordings and photos of the violence she inflicted on me. now this relationship has ruined me psychologically. divorce is the inevitable end. so far, we haven't been to any interviews. any chance I can get residence permit? Sorry about my English. Thank you!

Yes you can file for VAWA. You have at least one police report then you don't need to have a psychological evaluation. You need to read some of the VAWA threads to understand how it works the whole process. Get a restraining order against her if you fear for your life.You need to get police clearance from all places that you lived in the past 3 years, and you will be good to go. Get a copy of the police report. DO NOT MEET  HER ANYMORE, she can twist/fabricate facts against you  and you will end up in jail.Do not answer her calls anymore or change your phone number. Do not post on social media where you are living.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Aadi135 said:

What is G325A? Does USCIS still track where you lived in since you are in the US? 

Yes because you are supposed to report when you have moved to USCIS

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, MAYgirl said:

Hi everyone I just wanted to share my update 

I just got a letter from my local office (Brooklyn)

For me to update my medical and mail it in for them to make a final decision on my case 

IMG_20210325_172822997.jpg

Congratulations, they might waive your interview and send you your GC, if I were you I will send the medical fast 

I am currently working fulltime with Employer A on H1B and it is valid for 2 more years. Due to covid I am laid off (2 more weeks notice) and not finding a job sponsoring H1B again(I am still trying and will continue trying till I have chance). I currently got an offer on my EAD and I am aware that using EAD (pending 485 on I-360) will suspend my H1B.
1) Will using EAD stop the clock on my H1B? Can I later go to India for consular processing and get my H1B stamped in case my 485 denies?
2) When does EAD exactly start? Any form or payroll or what triggers it usage and stops H1B in terms for USCIS?
3) Can I do multiple fulltime jobs on EAD?

Filed: Other Country:
Timeline
42 minutes ago, sheima said:

Congratulations, they might waive your interview and send you your GC, if I were you I will send the medical fast 

Yes I will start working on it tomorrow 

Edited by MAYgirl

1 hour ago, MAYgirl said:

Hi everyone I just wanted to share my update 

I just got a letter from my local office (Brooklyn)

For me to update my medical and mail it in for them to make a final decision on my case 

IMG_20210325_172822997.jpg

Send a new medical in as soon as possible. They might approve you without an interview.

what’s your timeline?

08/2017 - Married USC

09/2017 - Application for I-485, I-765, I-131

12/2017 - Approval  I-765, I-131

09/2018 Renewal application for I-765, I-131

04/2019 - I-485 interview scheduled 

04/2019 - I-485 denied, husband withdrew

05/2019 - Application for  I-360, I-485, I-765, I-131 

12/2019 EAD, AP approval

07/2020 EAD, AP renewal sent to Vermont

10/2020 EAD, AP Approval

11/2020 VAWA I-360 Approved (C31 produced)

01/2021 I-360 status changed to case approved

03/2021 - I-693 deficient notice from national benefit center

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, Precious100 said:

Hello  Vjf...does anyone live in Texas, Dallas precisely. I need to contact my congressman but the office has been moved and its in the suburbs, since they moved their office line is not going through again . The other senator in the city, staff are never helpful. They always say uscis has a large volume of work, that's always been their response. They don't want to help .  Pls which other senator can I contact ? 

Thank you guys, your input will be very uch appreciated..

Senator John Coryn  is the best and his staff very helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.