green_rabbit

March 2021 - AOS filers

535 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
On 7/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, L&Ceci said:

Received my biometrics letter yesterday and did early walk-in this morning ! 

March 12 2021 - package received by USCIS

April 6 2021 - NOA1

July 12 2021 - biometric letter received (notice date is 07/02/2021). Biometric appointment scheduled for 07/26/2021. 

July 13 2021 - early walk-in on the morning. Just showed up asking if I could do the biometrics now, she was really nice and answered it was my lucky day that is was really calm so their was no problem for me to do them. Seems sometimes they have so many people they have to wait outside... I waited max 10 min and they called me, it took 5-10 min do get my information (I had completed the Applicant's Information Worksheet before going in), the picture, the fingerprints and the signature. Super easy !

My I-485 was handled by NBC.

My local office is Houston, Tx and my ASC was Houston Southeast. 

Wishing to all still waiting that they will get theirs soon... 

Hi Guys, 

Here are some updates on my case. 

07/16: I-485 is « ready to be scheduled for an interview ».  My field office (Houston, TX) takes forever (like 18 months) to schedule interviews so I have plenty of time. 

I requested expedite processing of my EAD: 

• 08/05: Signed a great job offer & Request to Expedite I-765 placed online with Emma. I got a summary ready before starting the chat and clearly stated: 
    • Request based on financial loss for me AND the company (I had my offer letter + a letter from the company as evidences)
    • Expected start date & salary
    • Financial hardship because of pregnancy
  • 08/08: I contacted my congressman via their website. 
  • 08/12: Congressman staff sent me forms to file, that I sent back the same day + offer letter & company letter (also had medical bills, husband’s pay stubs & next months budget ready in case more evidences were needed)
  • 08/18: no news from congressman, I asked for updates & they said I had to change something in the form before they can send the congressional request to USCIS… Updated and send it back that same day. Not sure when they sent it to USCIS. 
  • 08/19: Chat with Emma, « case assigned to an agent for review »
  • 08/26: Request to expedite processing of I-765 approved
  • 2hrs later: « New Card being produced ». 

No RFE and no request for evidence (I think the congressman staff sent those with their request).

Now I just have to wait for the card, hoping they will do a combo card as I request I-131 to be expedited at the same time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, L&Ceci said:

Hi Guys, 

07/16: I-485 is « ready to be scheduled for an interview ».  My field office (Houston, TX) takes forever (like 18 months) to schedule interviews so I have plenty of time. 

• 08/05: Signed a great job offer & Request to Expedite I-765 placed online with Emma. I got a summary ready before starting the chat and clearly stated: 
    • Request based on financial loss for me AND the company (I had my offer letter + a letter from the company as evidences)
  • 08/12: Congressman staff sent me forms to file, that I sent back the same day + offer letter & company letter (also had medical bills, husband’s pay stubs & next months budget ready in case more evidences were needed)
  • 08/18: no news from congressman, I asked for updates & they said I had to change something in the form before they can send the congressional request to USCIS… Updated and send it back that same day. Not sure when they sent it to USCIS. 

No RFE and no request for evidence (I think the congressman staff sent those with their request).

Now I just have to wait for the card, hoping they will do a combo card as I request I-131 to be expedited at the same time.

Wow that’s awesome! Congrats on a successful expedite! 

I’m hoping mine ends in approval 😅

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ashley_ann said:

Wow that’s awesome! Congrats on a successful expedite! 

I’m hoping mine ends in approval 😅

Hope you will ! 

Did you ask congressman support ? 

Timeline
Just now, L&Ceci said:

Hope you will ! 

Did you ask congressman support ? 

I haven’t yet as I just put the request in a couple days ago. I’m waiting to see what happens and ask for support if needed 😊

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ashley_ann said:

I haven’t yet as I just put the request in a couple days ago. I’m waiting to see what happens and ask for support if needed 😊

I would be you, I would ask support now, I really think they helped make it faster and they have good advises on how to make it more efficient 🙂

My congressman staff was a little slow to start so I am glad I requested help right away. 

27 minutes ago, L&Ceci said:

I would be you, I would ask support now, I really think they helped make it faster and they have good advises on how to make it more efficient 🙂

My congressman staff was a little slow to start so I am glad I requested help right away. 

because of this, I have sent an e-mail to my congressman and hopefully they will help me. I have raised an expedite request through Emma two days back but the status hasn't been changed to "Expedite request received" or something like that.. hope this step will speed up the process. Congrats on your new job!!!

Timeline
18 hours ago, L&Ceci said:

that is a good point, thanks so much and I will reach out to them here :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 8/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, L&Ceci said:

Hi Guys, 

Hi,

First of all thank you for all your updates. They are super helpful!

Similar case as yours but filed in Feb (on B2 status).

Curious to know how you managed to get a job offer without an EAD ? Im sensing this is an important document to show to strengthen expedite request. 

But because of B2 status and pending EAD no legit employer is willing to offer a job in my case.

Also, how do prove financial hardship? Is there are guideline USCIC works on? Just like there is a poverty guideline? 

We are also planning to start a family and I wonder if that can be mentioned as a hardship (even though there is no pregnancy yet)

Thank you so much in advance!

Timeline
8 hours ago, TrashOTreasure said:

Hi,

First of all thank you for all your updates. They are super helpful!

Similar case as yours but filed in Feb (on B2 status).

Curious to know how you managed to get a job offer without an EAD ? Im sensing this is an important document to show to strengthen expedite request. 

But because of B2 status and pending EAD no legit employer is willing to offer a job in my case.

Also, how do prove financial hardship? Is there are guideline USCIC works on? Just like there is a poverty guideline? 

We are also planning to start a family and I wonder if that can be mentioned as a hardship (even though there is no pregnancy yet)

Thank you so much in advance!

Hey ! 

Well I don't think pregnancy, in itself, is a valid reason in USCIS perspectives. I tried a first expedite (without congressman help) based on financial hardship due to totally unplanned pregnancy (husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago !) before getting that offer. Never got an answer of evidence request. 

This time I filed for financial loss (not sure they consider financial loss and financial hardship the same way...).

My advises to find a job before EAD

- Wait for after biometrics. I tried to apply to jobs for months, if you can't give visibility to employers they are not interested or at best they will tell you to come back when you get EAD (which happened to me with a contracting company, I restarted interview process with, but I got a better offer somewhere else). Before biometrics there is no way to give employers visibility.

- Once you have biometrics give visibility and the feeling that you are confident EAD isn't gonna be a problem: "my EAD is in process" + "I will not need any sponsorship from you at anytime, my spouse is my sponsor" + "once I have an offer I should be able to start working in 4-5 weeks approx". 

- Apply to jobs in your field and that really match your level of skills. You need to be THE one they look for, so they will be fine waiting a little bit for you. If you apply to everything and anything most likely they will find someone else that fits and is available now. 

- What kind of jobs are you looking for ? If you can, try consulting companies (they are usually not in a rush to hire and wouldn't mind waiting)

Regarding evidences, I gathered evidence of financial loss (for our household + for the company needing my skills ASAP)

- Primary evidences (sent to congressman): Job offer + letter from company (they also mentioned they are an essential business).

Evidences I got ready but they never asked for, to support financial hardship:

- Evidence of unplanned pregnancy: Vasectomy report

- Pregnancy related bills

- A 12 months budget starting when we filed for AOS to show we were fine with my Husband's salary (working part time while going to school) + my savings, but that not budgeted bills/baby purchases would get us in severe hardship.

Be careful, when you filed, your spouse signed that he/she would financially support you/the household until your case is processed so I think an unplanned event has to justify that suddenly you guys are struggling. 

- Husband's last pay slips

I think, in my case, surprise pregnancy was just to enforce that really I couldn't miss that opportunity but it was definitely not the main reason to expedite.

If you filed in February, you are not in B2 anymore, you are in Adjustment of Status, right ? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
22 minutes ago, L&Ceci said:

Hey ! 

Well I don't think pregnancy, in itself, is a valid reason in USCIS perspectives. I tried a first expedite (without congressman help) based on financial hardship due to totally unplanned pregnancy (husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago !) before getting that offer. Never got an answer of evidence request. 

This time I filed for financial loss (not sure they consider financial loss and financial hardship the same way...).

My advises to find a job before EAD

- Wait for after biometrics. I tried to apply to jobs for months, if you can't give visibility to employers they are not interested or at best they will tell you to come back when you get EAD (which happened to me with a contracting company, I restarted interview process with, but I got a better offer somewhere else). Before biometrics there is no way to give employers visibility.

- Once you have biometrics give visibility and the feeling that you are confident EAD isn't gonna be a problem: "my EAD is in process" + "I will not need any sponsorship from you at anytime, my spouse is my sponsor" + "once I have an offer I should be able to start working in 4-5 weeks approx". 

- Apply to jobs in your field and that really match your level of skills. You need to be THE one they look for, so they will be fine waiting a little bit for you. If you apply to everything and anything most likely they will find someone else that fits and is available now. 

- What kind of jobs are you looking for ? If you can, try consulting companies (they are usually not in a rush to hire and wouldn't mind waiting)

Regarding evidences, I gathered evidence of financial loss (for our household + for the company needing my skills ASAP)

- Primary evidences (sent to congressman): Job offer + letter from company (they also mentioned they are an essential business).

Evidences I got ready but they never asked for, to support financial hardship:

- Evidence of unplanned pregnancy: Vasectomy report

- Pregnancy related bills

- A 12 months budget starting when we filed for AOS to show we were fine with my Husband's salary (working part time while going to school) + my savings, but that not budgeted bills/baby purchases would get us in severe hardship.

Be careful, when you filed, your spouse signed that he/she would financially support you/the household until your case is processed so I think an unplanned event has to justify that suddenly you guys are struggling. 

- Husband's last pay slips

I think, in my case, surprise pregnancy was just to enforce that really I couldn't miss that opportunity but it was definitely not the main reason to expedite.

If you filed in February, you are not in B2 anymore, you are in Adjustment of Status, right ? 

Thanks for such a detailed response!

Yes I'm in AOS. I think the main issue in my case is that i'm still waiting on the biometrics.

Looks like you can submit the expedite request once you are done with biometrics. Is that what your understanding is?

But its been over 6 months since I filed and no update (other than one RFE that I responded and they received in June).

You are right if there is no biometrics it's gonna be hard to give visibility to a prospective employer. In my case I moved from Europe where I was working for a US based global employer. My employer is willing to move me to one of their US offices if I have an EAD. But without any visibility to a date of EAD approval, I just cant convince my employer to hold that position for me. They would probably hold it for me for 2 months at the max.

My husband supports me currently and to be honest we are not exactly struggling financially where we are not able to pay rent etc (California rents are ridiculously high!). We are on a super tight budget though and have to sacrifice some stuff to get by!

So given the above points I'm not sure how to go about the Congressman route for requesting an expedite! 

Timeline
On 8/30/2021 at 10:11 AM, TrashOTreasure said:

Thanks for such a detailed response!

Yes I'm in AOS. I think the main issue in my case is that i'm still waiting on the biometrics.

Looks like you can submit the expedite request once you are done with biometrics. Is that what your understanding is?

But its been over 6 months since I filed and no update (other than one RFE that I responded and they received in June).

You are right if there is no biometrics it's gonna be hard to give visibility to a prospective employer. In my case I moved from Europe where I was working for a US based global employer. My employer is willing to move me to one of their US offices if I have an EAD. But without any visibility to a date of EAD approval, I just cant convince my employer to hold that position for me. They would probably hold it for me for 2 months at the max.

My husband supports me currently and to be honest we are not exactly struggling financially where we are not able to pay rent etc (California rents are ridiculously high!). We are on a super tight budget though and have to sacrifice some stuff to get by!

So given the above points I'm not sure how to go about the Congressman route for requesting an expedite! 

If your employer wanted to keep you working in US after working with them in Europe they didn't propose a transfer visa (L1)? 

Now you are filing AOS I guess both would be conflicting... 

Official USCIS answer is that you need biometric to expedite. But some people requested expedite before biometrics and it seems it could trigger the appointment (even if request is denied). 

You would still need the job offer but you could try to convince employer to try that way. Would have to resubmit an expedite request after biometrics are done. 

Yes if you just have to keep a tight budget it might be hard to justify.

Contact your representative and ask for advice. They might be able to tell you better if they can help or not based on your case. 

Once you get a job offer it would become a financial loss, even if you were not in financial hardship, it is still a loss (financially and eventually for your career) + a loss for the company. Then congressman will help with no problem.

Did you double check with Emma that your biometrics letter has never been sent ? seems a lot of appointment letters get lost...

My case just got updated to “Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview”!

I am in Florida, and My timeline is:

• PD: 03/31/2021

• Receipts Text/Mail: 04/27/2021

• Biometrics Appointment: 07/28/2021

• Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken: 07/29/2021

• Received I-693 Deficiency Notice: 08/19/2021

• Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview: 08/31/2021  

Now I guess I have to wait for more!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi guys,

I don’t know if is any help for you.

i just chat with one of live agents from USCIS, thru Emma.

i was asking about work permit, as you know national benefits center has 9-9.5 months for processing the I 765.

they ask if i fall under any of their categories.

i told to the live agent that I don’t think that any of them are applying for my case.

i just told the truth that only my husband works and that i start to feel like is harder to cover for all the expenses and that i want to help.

the agent didn’t ask for more details or any  documents.

he just said that will put an expedited request and he gave me a confirmation number.

also said I should receive in 7 days a response.

I don’t know if was a good choice doing it.

i will update after i will receive anything from them.

have a good day and good luck to everyone!

Edited by Diamda2005

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Update for us.  Our NOA1 was issued on April 7 for a March 15 "received" date for our AoS/EAD/AP applications.

Got zero news/updates until we finally got our Biometrics letter and had that appointment on Sept 3.

On Sept 10 the CEAC system now shows "Case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview".

So...I guess the 1 to 12 month waiting period for that interview begins.

(the process/timing is so disparate for AoS...I know fellow Milligan lawsuit members that already have their GC and several with interviews scheduled this month...some are in small offices like Alaska, but others are in busy offices like Los Angeles and Tucson and other places like Ohio and Atlanta where the USCIS system says to expect 8-15 months and yet they already got finished with AoS in less than 5 months.  So who knows how long we will wait...)

On 8/26/2021 at 11:21 AM, mitanyag said:

because of this, I have sent an e-mail to my congressman and hopefully they will help me. I have raised an expedite request through Emma two days back but the status hasn't been changed to "Expedite request received" or something like that.. hope this step will speed up the process. Congrats on your new job!!!

just an update on my case,

aug 24- expedite request sent through emma

aug 26- sent request to congressman website, just a typical "leave ur message"

no update till i decided to call congressman office last sep.8

sep 8- filled out form provided by congressman office and asked assistance to on my expedite request - I 765

sep 9- congressman office sent request to uscis

sep 13- expedite request approved

after 2 hours - new card being produced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.