BigBuford

AOS for spouse living in US - How far out is scheduled interview?

19 posts in this topic

Hey everyone - Happy Wednesday.  New to the board here.  So great news, I got an email from USCIS yesterday that my spouse's AOS i-485 application has been moved to 'Interview was Scheduled' which I verified on the USCIS Services site.  We had been in 'Interview Ready to be Scheduled' status for about 10 1/2 months.

Once you receive the notice in the mail with the interview date/time, how far out in advance was it scheduled for?  I know this varies based on how busy each field office is.  But are we talking 2-4 weeks out?  Or 1-3 months out?  Would be great to get an idea so I can plan to take off time from work.

Thanks for all your help.

7 minutes ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

Hey everyone - Happy Wednesday.  New to the board here.  So great news, I got an email from USCIS yesterday that my spouse's AOS i-485 application has been moved to 'Interview was Scheduled' which I verified on the USCIS Services site.  We had been in 'Interview Ready to be Scheduled' status for about 10 1/2 months.

Once you receive the notice in the mail with the interview date/time, how far out in advance was it scheduled for?  I know this varies based on how busy each field office is.  But are we talking 2-4 weeks out?  Or 1-3 months out?  Would be great to get an idea so I can plan to take off time from work.

I remember we got our letter at the end of August 2017 and interview was scheduled for early October 2017. So about 5 weeks out. I think it's generally 4-6 weeks in advance.

12 minutes ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

Hi! I received the interview notif on Feb 2 and my interview was yesterday March 2. So a month. Just like the previous poster said it is generally 4-6 weeks but depends on your LFO. 

@Jujusmom  Also, one other thing.  Did they mention to you how soon your green card would arrive in the mail?  Reason being is we want to be able to apply for an Advanced Parole Travel document renewal which will expire in mid-June since we want to visit my wife's family June/July timeframe.

But I'm worried that if we send in a renewal application for the Advanced Parole Travel document even though we're at the last stage of the approval process, someone in USCIS might think, why is this applicant applying for a travel doc renewal when they are so close to getting the green card?  Based on my experience when we first applied for AOS along with Advanced Parole at same time, we received AP travel doc within 4 months time.  I know, I'm paranoid like that

18 minutes ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

Thanks so much.  This really helps.  My wife is starting to get nervous now about the whole interview process even though we've been married for 5 years and have 2 kids lol

Haha I think it’s normal to be nervous. Tell her that you having kids together and living together for 5 years are strong evidence of a bonafide marriage. 

10 minutes ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

@Jujusmom  Also, one other thing.  Did they mention to you how soon your green card would arrive in the mail?  Reason being is we want to be able to apply for an Advanced Parole Travel document renewal which will expire in mid-June since we want to visit my wife's family June/July timeframe.

But I'm worried that if we send in a renewal application for the Advanced Parole Travel document even though we're at the last stage of the approval process, someone in USCIS might think, why is this applicant applying for a travel doc renewal when they are so close to getting the green card?  Based on my experience when we first applied for AOS along with Advanced Parole at same time, we received AP travel doc within 4 months time.  I know, I'm paranoid like that

The officer said it will likely be mailed next week but if not received after 2 months, call USCIS. Also I am literally on the same boat as you guys. My EAD/AP is gonna expire on June and also planning on coming home to my home country so I was getting ready on submitting a renewal but I got the interview notif so I decided to just wait for the green card. 

I’m thinking that since you have an interview appointment already and your wife will for sure get her green card, maybe just wait on the GC instead of applying for new EAD/AP. I don’t think they will renew it anyway once they see a GC is ordered in production. 

Good luck on your wife’s interview!

Edited by Jujusmom

1 minute ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

@Jujusmom  Thank you very much.  Maraming salamat ha.  Pil-am ako din :) 

Haha uy kabayan! Walang anuman! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** English only in the upper forums please!  If you wish to type in your native language, you may do so in the Regional forums, and only there, to make the immigration forums as inclusive as possible. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

The notice should normally come within 5 business days. But because of COVID it might be longer. WE got to "Interview WAs scheduled" on February 11,2021 but didn't received any notice for 2 weeks. So I called  them, and luckily was able to speak to a Tier 2 officer, and found out that my Interview will be on March 15,2021. MOst of people say that its 1 to 1.5 months from the "Interview Was Scheduled". Hope it helps. And good luck

5 hours ago, PopeyesChknLover said:

My status updated about 5 days before I received the letter, and the interview was scheduled for about 3 weeks after that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.