Mark11

My Wife (Brazilian immigrant) died from Covid during AOS -- how do I withdraw the application?

53 posts in this topic

Mark,  I am so sorry for your loss.  

Like some others have suggested, I would recommend including a copy of your wife's death certificate with the correspondence you sent.  It pains to say this, but brace yourself for inefficiencies and possible follow up correspondence from USCIS.  As we all know, sometimes things don't get processed timely or accurately.  

Prayers for peace as you grieve and heal.  

Spoiler

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

03/08/19: Text and online notification that interview has been scheduled.

04/16/19: Interview.  AOS approval text rec'd.  Card in production!

04/24/19: GC in hand! 

Removal of Conditions

Here we go!

02/10/21: I-751 package sent

02/12/21: Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/22/21: Money order cashed

03/24/21: Text notification rec'd

03/25/21: NOA rec'd

04/30/21: Case updated: Fingerprints taken

06/27/22: Approved!  Card being produced!

07/05/22: 10-year GC in hand!

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

My sincerest condolences. I am so, so sorry. 

You can send a letter of withdrawn, together with the NOA1 and copy of death certificate of your wife. But like some others have said, you have more important things to worry about. If you know the field office your interview will be, you can always mail them a letter explaining why you will not be attending the interview and to dismiss the application. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have any additional advice either but just wanted to add my condolences too. I am so sorry and can't imagine what you are going through and I know no words can help right now.  Please take care of yourself.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you all sooooo much for your thoughts.

I will send a copy of my NOA for the interview (when I receive it) and a letter and the death certificate to the field office listed.  Which will drive a stake through my heart, but must be done.

Early last year I posted some very specific details (dates, locations, forms, etc.)  about how to get the medical exam done in Brazil in the least amount of time.  I hope those details help other Brazilian K-1'ers with the process.   It's heavily tagged, so look it up if you need it.

Thanks again everyone.  I don't think I'll have the strength to post here again.  We put so much effort into this process (as each of you are doing / have done) and now it's all just wasted effort.  My 3-inch thick folder of copies of immigration forms, NOAs, receipts, etc., just makes me cry.

Good luck to all of you.

Obrigado and Tchau . . . .

--Mark . . . .and Sandra

1 hour ago, Mark11 said:

Thank you all sooooo much for your thoughts.

I will send a copy of my NOA for the interview (when I receive it) and a letter and the death certificate to the field office listed.  Which will drive a stake through my heart, but must be done.

Early last year I posted some very specific details (dates, locations, forms, etc.)  about how to get the medical exam done in Brazil in the least amount of time.  I hope those details help other Brazilian K-1'ers with the process.   It's heavily tagged, so look it up if you need it.

Thanks again everyone.  I don't think I'll have the strength to post here again.  We put so much effort into this process (as each of you are doing / have done) and now it's all just wasted effort.  My 3-inch thick folder of copies of immigration forms, NOAs, receipts, etc., just makes me cry.

Good luck to all of you.

--Mark . . . .and Sandra

This is such a gracious and generous thing to do, that you're still thinking of helping out other K-1 applicants even in your grief... Your wife would be proud of you.

Take good care and know that the people here understand all the time and effort that you've put into this. My very best wishes for your healing.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 3/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, Mark11 said:

We put so much effort into this process (as each of you are doing / have done) and now it's all just wasted effort.  My 3-inch thick folder of copies of immigration forms, NOAs, receipts, etc., just makes me cry.

Good luck to all of you.

--Mark . . . .and Sandra

Hey bud, it wasnt wasted time  even tho the outcome is the worst.

Both of u made the decision to have a life together and walked at least some part of it together side on side..

Remember the good parts, not the bad one ..

Hope u will be alright..

I am so sorry. This breaks my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I know the loss is far too great, but I hope our condolences can help you in some way. 

Sending the very best your way, 

-Anna

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I grew up in Decatur. I have very sorry for your loss. It is such a hard thing to deal with and cope.

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

I just wanted to send my condolences to you and send you as much virtual love as possible....I know our words don't change what has happened but hope they give you some comfort in this very difficult time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

My God!!! What a horrible thing to happen. Please accept my deepest sympathy 😔 I'm praying 🙏🏿for your healing.

I can only imagine the emotional, psychological and financial tolls this can take on a person. With patience and understanding you shall heal. 

I would send them a letter and a rough copy of the death certificate. 

Please stay strong, surround yourself with what makes you happy and gets your mind off of it. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Condolences on your loss.

I think some of the other posters are treating this too lightly.  You may want to engage USCIS again should you find, in the future, another life partner.  Paperwork often doesn't do the job.  I suggest that you personally show up at the AOS interview and carefully explain the situation .... face-to-face with a live person is almost always better.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.