PIRuby

Balikbayans Visa

7 posts in this topic

My spouse is former Filipino, born here but raised as USC. We have not seen him in a year.  There is no embassy in Afghanistan, where he is working.  What does he need to do to come home to see us? 

25 minutes ago, PIRuby said:

My spouse is former Filipino, born here but raised as USC. We have not seen him in a year.  There is no embassy in Afghanistan, where he is working.  What does he need to do to come home to see us? 

It looks like the balikbayan privilege  has been reinstated as of tomorrow?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
46 minutes ago, PIRuby said:

• Foreign Passport AND actual valid, old, or expired Philippine Passport; OR
  • Foreign Passport AND any of the following documents:
    • Authentic Birth Certificate
    • Identification Certificate
    • Certificate of Reacquisition/Retention/Recognition
    • Those with previous immigration arrival stamp with Balikbayan status (BB/RA6768) must be accompanied with any of the 3 documents above
  • Must meet the additional conditions of the IATF-EID3

YMMV

11 minutes ago, payxibka said:
  • Foreign Passport AND actual valid, old, or expired Philippine Passport; OR
  • Foreign Passport AND any of the following documents:
    • Authentic Birth Certificate
    • Identification Certificate
    • Certificate of Reacquisition/Retention/Recognition
    • Those with previous immigration arrival stamp with Balikbayan status (BB/RA6768) must be accompanied with any of the 3 documents above
  • Must meet the additional conditions of the IATF-EID3

OK, so I have his PSA Filipino BC, His stamped and verified by Philippines Embassy adoption papers, and PSA Marriage certificate. I can mail those to him and of course he has his passport USC.  One more question, can I stay with him at quarantine hotel at Clark?

Edited by PIRuby

No you can’t. Quarantine means that he has to be isolated and remains inside the room until he’s cleared by the BOQ. I’m a USC and I’m currently in the Ph. I arrived in the Ph on 2/5 under the balikbayan program. At the airport in SFO I presented my US and PH passport and also brought my BC as a backup. I am not a dual citizen but I was advised by the agent at the airport to use my PH passport instead since it has not yet expired for an easier entry to the PH. 

14 hours ago, Cvllr said:

No you can’t. Quarantine means that he has to be isolated and remains inside the room until he’s cleared by the BOQ. I’m a USC and I’m currently in the Ph. I arrived in the Ph on 2/5 under the balikbayan program. At the airport in SFO I presented my US and PH passport and also brought my BC as a backup. I am not a dual citizen but I was advised by the agent at the airport to use my PH passport instead since it has not yet expired for an easier entry to the PH

I am not an immigration attorney so I dont know if that is legal or not (I would assume no) but could be wrong.  So what your saying is you're not a Philippine citizen but you traveled on a Philippine passport????

One of the golden rules I always follow is never trust an agent at the airport.  You would think they know the rules, but many dont and rely strictly on what a computer screen spits out.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

On 2/16/2021 at 6:10 AM, Cvllr said:

I am not a dual citizen but I was advised by the agent at the airport to use my PH passport instead since it has not yet expired for an easier entry to the PH. 

Regardless of what some random airport agent said, you have just committed fraud by entering the Philippines with an invalid travel document.  Too late for you to correct it now, but for the benefit of other readers, here's what an official PH government source says --

Dual Citizenship FAQ

[...] your old Philippine passport was rendered null and void the moment you were naturalized as a US citizen. You must surrender it to the Consulate for cancellation. You are, however, eligible to apply for a new Philippine passport upon the successful retention/reacquisition of your Philippine citizenship.

http://newyorkpcg.org/pcgny/consular-services/dual-citizenship-ra-9225/#

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.