snehak

What are the odds of SSN application getting rejected

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have applied for my on Dec 2 2020, it's been more than 2 months now my application is with agency. They said there's some mismatch with my info and hence the verification is failing. The initial verification which is done by ssn agency failed then the verification done by immigration failed, now my application is under second verification with immigration. Not sure what the issue is, I have H4 EAD card which means my verification was already done by USCIS while giving this card to me. Not sure what's the issue with SSN. I'm afraid that my application for SSN never goes through, does that ever happen? What should be done if that happens, can I apply again in some other center?

Filed: Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck

They use the "SAVE" system. You can enter your info into it online and see if there is any info. Please post back the specific messages you may see listed (leave out your personal info). You also need to check your i94 to make sure there are no spelling errors or typos and the same for what SSA submitted on your application for a SSN. Your name must match exactly. Were there any issues with your name being shortened or abbreviated or using a 'new' married last name not on other documents?

2 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

They use the "SAVE" system. You can enter your info into it online and see if there is any info. Please post back the specific messages you may see listed (leave out your personal info). You also need to check your i94 to make sure there are no spelling errors or typos and the same for what SSA submitted on your application for a SSN. Your name must match exactly. Were there any issues with your name being shortened or abbreviated or using a 'new' married last name not on other documents?

2 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Save does not have any info of why the verification is failing. It just says that the case is returned back to agency and then I have to follow up with SSN agency to get details, even SSN agency does not give specific details on why it's failing. There are not changes with my name, I have same name on all my documents. Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

The basic SAVE process is as follows:

1.Instant verification. Your info is entered and ideally a response is given in 1-2 minutes.  This is rare to occur for your first time through with DMV or SSA but it can happen.

2.Negative response given and additional verification is needed. This can take 1-2 weeks apx to resolve. (Im not sure if this is where you are and the timeframe is longer because of the pandemic or if you are at the next step---)

3. Manual verification. This can take months. (2-6 weeks on average, can be longer presently again due to reduced staff and pandemic issues)

Does your case status is SAVE show you any additional information that may help figure out where you are in the process? I am assuming you are at #3- the last one- manual. That the first your referred to as initial by SSA, then the second you called first by immigration and now the 3rd you are calling the second through immigration. It really doesnt matter what you call each step only that we are talking about the same thing! :) The third step for manual verification usually involves SSA sending a G-845 ( a special form) along with physical copies of your documents to the SAVE office so it can be processed manually. Does that sound like what they told you is going on? Also there are various ways to check your SAVE case. Do you have a verification case number? Does it show different info when you use the website and enter A# or i94?

If so, the only thing you can do is wait. Keep an eye on your SAVE status on the website. I do not know if the manual verification process is tracked on it or not though as I am not very familiar with it in general. I do know if there is an issue with the manual verification then SAVE will send SSA back a form directing you as to what the issue could be- typically its a spelling or date typo on one of your documents or the worker failed to submit copies of the front and back of required documents. SSA also does not use middle names or initials. This can cause problems for those who have multiple last names as the worker may have entered something incorrectly.

I know it can be hard right now to get into some SSA offices. So your choices are to either wait and keep an eye on the SAVE website for any updates and keep in contact with SSA. When you follow up with SSA you may need to get a supervisor involved to make sure everything was done correctly on their end as not all workers at SSA are familiar with these types of cases. You can also go to a different SSA office and apply there (as a brand new I never had a SSN before applicant). Its up to you if you want to explain to them about your previous issue or not. You wont end up with multiple SSNs by doing this. The new SSA office will simply generate an application for you and it will need to go through the same process as it did when the first office submitted it. If it was user error this would bypass all that but if its a SAVE issue it wont. 

I also remember reading somewhere something about those with H visas and having issues at DMV with SAVE and many were able to get around whatever the problem was by using the A# rather then the i94. Something about the i94 'open' expiration dates causing rejections if that makes any sense. Im not sure if that is applicable with how SSA processes it through SAVE though. Again thats why a supervisor at SSA can be helpful. Which leaves you with either going back to the office you applied at already and having a supervisor review it all or going to a new office and starting a new application for a SSN and having a supervisor there assist you. 

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Does it say "case returned to the agency' or does it list a fail reason?

It just say "case returned to the agency". On 20th Jan the status was updated to this, then I called the ssn agency to check if verification was successful, they told me it takes time to reflect the status in their system. I had to wait for 3 weeks, on 8th Feb they told me that verification has failed due to some info mismatch and they had raised the request again. Now my case is again with Save case and now it's showing 5 days remaining. There is no way to know what was the exact reason for first failure. Agency people are not very helpful, they don't even try to get the details. I told them about my urgency, my employer has been waiting for 2 months now for my SSN, they might not wait anymore and I might lose my job. I told them this multiple times still no action from their side to expedite it. Let me know if you think there's any better way of getting it sooner. Thanks!

1 minute ago, snehak said:

my employer has been waiting for 2 months now for my SSN, they might not wait anymore and I might lose my job.

Is "lack of SSN" the sole reason they'll do that? If so, your employer cannot legally do that. https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

For employment that uses E-verify system: https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

4 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Is "lack of SSN" the sole reason they'll do that? If so, your employer cannot legally do that. https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

For employment that uses E-verify system: https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

Yes, SSN is the only reason I cannot join. They said they need it for background check, only when the background check is done I can join. Please advice on what should I tell my company?

I have the similar situation with you. I visited the local SSA office on Dec. 30. Still having some mismatches. The staff won't tell me any more details. Sad. 

The most words they talk about is you can do nothing but wait. 

I checked the SAVE and there were two cases. Both of them have been returned successfully but the agent said my documents are still pending on the list to DHS. 

I don't even know if there's anything wrong or what's going on, or if my documents are under manually checking... 

I made the appointment for 3 months and wait for the processing for more than 5 weeks...

Same situation here, applied jan 6. Tolf my the officer to wait 4-6weeks for the process because DHS needs to verify my documents. Checked my case on SAVE after 3 weeks and written case returned to agency, so i called ssa office again for folllw up and told still under verification. I waited for another 2 weeks and checked with then this feb 9 and the officer told me that there was mismatch. He did not mention exactly what was the mismatch but he asks me if my visa status is permanent resident blah blah..and told him i submitted all my documents with k1 visa class. After which he told me he will try to submit retry for initial verification and after our conversation i checked SAVE and saw two cases already. Another one is there with casr under review with maximun 6 days left box. What does this means? 

All right, here's an update, which is no updates at all. 

I gave a phone call today and a calling back lady said the same words basically meaning "you can't get an answer today, it's pending and waiting for the DHS. I have nothing to do with it." (At least the very first agent I talked with told me there were some mismatches and said she would request an additional verification.)

When I said I checked the SAVE system, and there were already two cases having been checked and returned, she ignored this and repeated those words. Then I asked if she could ask DHS to check manually if there were some electronic mismatches (literally no offence). She got angry and said, "YOU DON'T WORK FOR SSA, I WORK FOR IT. Have a good day." and hung up. 

15 hours ago, botpot said:

All right, here's an update, which is no updates at all. 

I gave a phone call today and a calling back lady said the same words basically meaning "you can't get an answer today, it's pending and waiting for the DHS. I have nothing to do with it." (At least the very first agent I talked with told me there were some mismatches and said she would request an additional verification.)

When I said I checked the SAVE system, and there were already two cases having been checked and returned, she ignored this and repeated those words. Then I asked if she could ask DHS to check manually if there were some electronic mismatches (literally no offence). She got angry and said, "YOU DON'T WORK FOR SSA, I WORK FOR IT. Have a good day." and hung up. 

Been there, it's sad . You can try reaching out to your local congressman , see if they can help in any way. Many people do that. I tried too, but it my case it wasn't much helpful, you can give it a try if you need SSN urgently like me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.