Deweylewey

Travel Authority/ Travel Order Immigration

6 posts in this topic

My wife has everything completed, cr1 visa in hand, cfo, etc.

the only thing stopping her is this travel authority since she is a teacher and a government employee.

They won't let her resign since she has a loan in her name, but still continues to pay it monthly. 

is she able to get by immigration if she tells them shes not a government employee with a non government employee id?

only topic i could find was from 2008. which is linked right here:

Is travel order really required by the DFA who are Gov't employee - Philippines - VisaJourney

Anyone who went through immigration what was the process like?

Edited by Deweylewey
typo

13 minutes ago, Deweylewey said:

is she able to get by immigration if she tells them shes not a government employee with a non government employee id?

Once the BI officer sees your wife's US immigrant visa, I doubt she will even be asked about her work in the Philippines.  All the ID she needs to present is her passport.  Just remind your wife that when she is asked for her purpose of travel, she should answer "Immigrating to the US" so that the officer will not ask questions meant for tourist travelers.

I'm curious though -- how does the school expect to collect on the loan once your wife moves to the US?  Are they planning to request a hold-departure order against her until she pays off her loan?

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Once the BI officer sees your wife's US immigrant visa, I doubt she will even be asked about her work in the Philippines.  All the ID she needs to present is her passport.  Just remind your wife that when she is asked for her purpose of travel, she should answer "Immigrating to the US" so that the officer will not ask questions meant for tourist travelers.

I'm curious though -- how does the school expect to collect on the loan once your wife moves to the US?  Are they planning to request a hold-departure order against her until she pays off her loan?

The loan is from a bank and is deducted from her salary. She is planning to pay them directly once she plans to move to the us through the use of remittance payments through her mother

Why not just pay off the loan in full so that your wife can complete her clearance with her employer, there is no risk of a hold departure order, and she can resign without any pending accountabilities to the government? 

As a government school teacher, I imagine she is expected to give proper notice anyway?

6 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Why not just pay off the loan in full so that your wife can complete her clearance with her employer, there is no risk of a hold departure order, and she can resign without any pending accountabilities to the government? 

As a government school teacher, I imagine she is expected to give proper notice anyway?

we've planned and budgeted for her to pay for it once she works here. We don't have enough to pay it right away.

6 minutes ago, Deweylewey said:

we've planned and budgeted for her to pay for it once she works here. We don't have enough to pay it right away.

That's understandable, but I can also see it from her employer's point of view. What kind of leverage will they have on someone with a loan who is planning to immigrate? 

I can only advise your wife to follow her employer's process for loan repayments and proper clearance before immigrating. I'm sure she's not the first employee to resign before fully paying off a loan, so she'll have to look into her employer's policies.

Edited by Adventine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.