Alytes

Need to file AOS within K1 90 day window?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

My fiance's interview is in a few weeks, so I'm finally starting to think about wedding date planning. Do we need to file for AOS within the 90 day K1 window? If so, how late into the 90 days can we marry and safely have time to file?

As long as you marry within 90 days, you can file for AOS at any point after the marriage takes place. There’s no time limit.

After the 90 days and if you haven’t filed for AOS, you’ll be out of status and would be accumulating unlawful presence until you file for AOS (like any other visa overstayer).

So I’d advise you to marry as soon as possible and not wait until the last day of 90 days to do so as unforeseen circumstances do happen, especially in a pandemic. 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

There are no benefits in waiting to file for adjustment of status after marriage.....none.

This. Why anyone would “plan” to have their future spouse be out of status and accumulate illegal presence is beyond me. Unfortunately a k1 is not the choice if you want to “plan” anything-best to have a quick justice of the peace and plan a wedding in the future IMO. We hear horror stories of peoples marriage breaking down in that period of time thus giving the immigrant no legal status to stay etc. Plan to have all your documents ready to go and send after you get married. I suggest looking at the I944 (which is currently needed) and have your fiancé gather needed documents now as that can take time and hold down your process later.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Alytes said:

My fiance's interview is in a few weeks, so I'm finally starting to think about wedding date planning. Do we need to file for AOS within the 90 day K1 window? If so, how late into the 90 days can we marry and safely have time to file?

We strongly advise you NOT to spend any non-refundable money on arrangements until after the visa is in hand and checked for error.  That includes wedding arrangements, travel booking, etc.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

There are no benefits in waiting to file for adjustment of status after marriage.....none.

I will play devils advocate for a moment because of course I believe one should file for AOS before 90 days after POE.  

There is one benefit: waiting a year will make it all but certain the green card will be issued two or more years after the marriage which means a future I-751 filing can be avoided.  Waiting two years guarantees it.  

With USCIS about to be overwhelmed with more than 100,000 refugees a year, I don’t think there will be any I-751 cases processed next year.  They weren’t a high priority before.  They will be the lowest of the low priority now.  

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

I will play devils advocate for a moment because of course I believe one should file for AOS before 90 days after POE.  

There is one benefit: waiting a year will make it all but certain the green card will be issued two or more years after the marriage which means a future I-751 filing can be avoided.  Waiting two years guarantees it.  

With USCIS about to be overwhelmed with more than 100,000 refugees a year, I don’t think there will be any I-751 cases processed next year.  They weren’t a high priority before.  They will be the lowest of the low priority now.  

I'd say the risks and inconvenience outweigh the benefits......just my opinion.  I hear that limbo period between filing for adjustment and receiving a green card is not fun.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Alytes said:

If so, how late into the 90 days can we marry and safely have time to file?

This depends how fast

* you can get marriage license 

* your marriage performer returns the license to the county after the ceremony  

* the county issues your marriage certificate 

For example, Los Angeles county requires 12 weeks to issue a marriage certificate. Plenty of time for ICE on a slow day to come collect your spouse.  

With COVID; the normally rapid times most Bay Area (I see you are in Oakland) counties had before are probably slower.  Check with Alameda county and surrounding counties.

I suggest getting married as soon as possible if COVID has still shut down social security offices when your partner arrives in the USA. Otherwise wait until the SS card has been applied for and then marry immediately.  

Timeline
7 hours ago, Alytes said:

My suggestion is to contact our distinguished VJ member  @Loren Y .  He has very graciously offered to officiate wedding ceremonies for VJ members in Las Vegas.  He says you can be married and have a marriage certificate in hand in a matter of a few hours.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I'd say the risks and inconvenience outweigh the benefits......just my opinion.  I hear that limbo period between filing for adjustment and receiving a green card is not fun.

Oh for sure my wife was getting depressed  with being unable to travel or apply for jobs or operate a business.  

But with COVID, travel is mostly off the table now and getting an SS card without sending in ones passport and combo card or green card to get lost by an ineffective agency is a non starter.  

I haven’t broken the news to her yet that after her 2 year green card expires next year, it will be life in hell.  In am certain the God of Hindsight will tell us we should have waited to file AOS.  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I haven’t broken the news to her yet that after her 2 year green card expires next year, it will be life in hell.

We filed my wife's I-751 in late March 2019.  In May 2019, the status changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview".......still waiting.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

We filed my wife's I-751 in late March 2019.  In May 2019, the status changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview".......still waiting.

Time to file that N-400.  

Otherwise I believe you will be waiting until February 2025 at least.  

49 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Oh for sure my wife was getting depressed  with being unable to travel or apply for jobs or operate a business.  

But with COVID, travel is mostly off the table now and getting an SS card without sending in ones passport and combo card or green card to get lost by an ineffective agency is a non starter.  

I haven’t broken the news to her yet that after her 2 year green card expires next year, it will be life in hell.  In am certain the God of Hindsight will tell us we should have waited to file AOS.  

No point in waiting to file AOS these days since it’s taking 9 months to get bio and god only knows how long to get EAD, I’m still waiting on that one... . the rate their going I might get my GC on our 5th anniversary.... 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

This depends how fast

* you can get marriage license 

* your marriage performer returns the license to the county after the ceremony  

* the county issues your marriage certificate 

For example, Los Angeles county requires 12 weeks to issue a marriage certificate. Plenty of time for ICE on a slow day to come collect your spouse.  

With COVID; the normally rapid times most Bay Area (I see you are in Oakland) counties had before are probably slower.  Check with Alameda county and surrounding counties.

I suggest getting married as soon as possible if COVID has still shut down social security offices when your partner arrives in the USA. Otherwise wait until the SS card has been applied for and then marry immediately.  

This is exactly what I was curious about. I read that it could take up to 12 weeks to get a certified copy of our marriage certificate, which could push us out of status even if we got married on his first day here. I'll call the county court house (we are planning to marry in Humboldt County) on Monday to ask about their turn around times. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.