oldmunchi

How can I enter Philippines?

52 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, Adventine said:

A neutral third country seems to be the best option right now. It depends on how much time both of you can stay overseas. 

You can choose to get married, but you'd nullify your K1 application and have to start over with the spousal visa. And you would still need to apply for a Philippine visa before entering the country.

You mentioned you're applying for a WFH job so you can come live with her here. My fiancé did the same thing last year. It worked out pretty well, even with the pandemic, but it sure was a shame that we weren't able to travel domestically or internationally like we planned.

Life in the Philippines can be great. It can also be horrible. It depends on where your fiancée is located and what your idea of a "good life" is. The same as anywhere else in the world, pre- or post-pandemic, life is (relatively) easy for those who have the means. Life is very, very hard for those with relatively few resources. 

I had to do a lot of errands today in the Makati central business district. Things are more or less functioning normally. I saw people of all ages outside, hanging out in restaurants, playing in parks, doing errands together. Virtually everyone wears face masks and face shields. 

@oldmunchi, sorry if some of us took your topic sideways.  I'm quoting Adventine here because her advice is spot on for your dilemma.  If you can afford it, work it out to spend time together in a third country while you wait on the processes to complete.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

On 2/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, Adventine said:

I had to do a lot of errands today in the Makati central business district. Things are more or less functioning normally. I saw people of all ages outside, hanging out in restaurants, playing in parks, doing errands together. Virtually everyone wears face masks and face shields. 

Quite the opposite here in Subic.  They were starting to loosen up with kids at some of the attractions.  Last Saturday, the 30th, we went to Funtastic Park, which just reopened a few weeks ago.  When we parked, my 4 year old was hesitant to get out of the car.  She said "I can go inside?" and when I said yes, she started shouting and dancing around!  It was the first time she had been in a business or attraction since March 16th, 2020.  We all had a lot of fun and we were the only customers!  On Sunday, she went in her first store and had some much fun shopping!  Her six year old sister had already been allowed to go to the mall a few times.

Then Monday it all changed.  We planned to go to Zoobic Safari today.  I called first.  No kids under 15.  Out of curiosity, I called Funtastic Park too, and they said the same.  I found out later Ocean Adventure is the same.  The only place they can go is Camayan Beach, but they can't go in the resto or hotel, just the beach.  I feel really bad for these businesses.  Many are being destroyed.  Our only mall in the Freeport, Harbor Point, is probably at less than 50% occupancy now.

Ironically, I think NCR is back on GCQ, correct?  We have not had a case in the Freeport in over a month, yet we suffer.  I think Olongapo has 7 or 8 active cases, but no new in over a week.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

@seekingthetruth

The rules are so inconsistent, I don't even follow the GCQ-related news that closely any more. Pandemic fatigue. Metro Manila's status has stayed the same for some months now. 

I feel for your kids. I'm one of those who always liked staying at home, but I can't imagine being a young child and being stuck at home for almost a year. I can see how, for your family's situation, it makes more sense to move to the States. 

To return to @oldmunchi 's original question, many people here have given great info on your options and what the situation is like in the PH right now. You will have to discuss with your fiancée what makes sense for your long-term goals as a couple. There are no easy choices at this time, but I hope everyone's posts here help you make an informed decision.

1 hour ago, seekingthetruth said:

Actually, I should clarify.  I have enjoyed quite a few visits to Manila.  What really got me off to a bad start in Manila was the driving and the related corruption.  Perhaps part of it was just bad luck, but the first 4 or 5 times I drove in Manila, I got pulled over for a "violation".  Only one of those times did I really have a violation, when I did turn down a one way street.  That time, my Filipino BIL, a NZ citizen now, was with me in the passenger seat.  He quickly jumped out, saying "I'll take care of this". One minute later we are on the way, with the traffic cop helping me back up onto Edsa, and p500 in his pocket.  That was when I was still learning about how things are done here.  Systematic corruption.  Another time, I was taking my U.S. nephew to the airport in Manila.  We got to Manila really early, so we stopped for lunch.  After leaving lunch, I got pulled over by a traffic cop.  I forgot what he said, but basically it was "driving with two foreigners in the front seat".  Another time, after visiting BI in Intramuros and leaving late afternoon, I was pulled over at a nearby V intersection, for "swerving"  when I took the right road of the V.  There was a whole group of traffic cops operating there, which I have found out since, is illegal.  My wife was with me that time, and argued with him (actually 2 guys) for a long time before we gave up the p500.  While we were pulled over there, there were 3 or 4 other cars pulled over for the same thing (I assume).  All of that was pre-Duterte.  I don't know if it got much better after he was elected.

It's the same way in Davao City.  You get pulled over by the traffic enforcers or their slang name of Crocodiles.  You just basically say, I am sorry, I am new to the city and slip some peso, it usually 200 peso and you don't get a ticket.

Corruption and poverty is sytemtic all over Philippines.  

45 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

Quite the opposite here in Subic.  They were starting to loosen up with kids at some of the attractions.  Last Saturday, the 30th, we went to Funtastic Park, which just reopened a few weeks ago.  When we parked, my 4 year old was hesitant to get out of the car.  She said "I can go inside?" and when I said yes, she started shouting and dancing around!  It was the first time she had been in a business or attraction since March 16th, 2020.  We all had a lot of fun and we were the only customers!  On Sunday, she went in her first store and had some much fun shopping!  Her six year old sister had already been allowed to go to the mall a few times.

Then Monday it all changed.  We planned to go to Zoobic Safari today.  I called first.  No kids under 15.  Out of curiosity, I called Funtastic Park too, and they said the same.  I found out later Ocean Adventure is the same.  The only place they can go is Camayan Beach, but they can't go in the resto or hotel, just the beach.  I feel really bad for these businesses.  Many are being destroyed.  Our only mall in the Freeport, Harbor Point, is probably at less than 50% occupancy now.

Ironically, I think NCR is back on GCQ, correct?  We have not had a case in the Freeport in over a month, yet we suffer.  I think Olongapo has 7 or 8 active cases, but no new in over a week.

I'am in Texas, pretty much everything is back to normal, most stores require a mask.

We have had 3 million cases of COVID and like  40,000 death.  It's better than living in the Philippines with all the silly curfews, lockdowns,  and people not allowed to leave their homes.

The IR5 ban has helpful so far as my in-laws don't want to travel unless I come there and get them (We started the IR5's in June 2019).  Hopefully by the time they get around to getting an interview things will be a little more open and I can manage that without risking their visa expiring.

Wife and I also want to get over there by the end of the year and spend 6-8 weeks looking for some land for retirement (been waiting a year now for that as well).

16 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I feel my kids will be blessed growing up there. They are dual citizens so they will always be free to come to America if they decide that in their future. They will all join me here soon and start their early years of schooling here, and then we will move to the Philippines in 5-6 years. I have seen the schoolwork there and here for k-12 and they are far ahead of the US as is most of the world. They will attend private school in the Philippines.

I will share a related story.  A friend of mine married a Filipina years ago and they lived in the U.S., East coast.  They planned to move to the Philippines when he retired at 55.  They made a lot of trips over here over the years, and bought a double lot to build a house.  They have one daughter, who was born in the U.S. 

So he retired and they moved.  They rented while they built their house in Sta Rosa, Laguna.  They had an excellent contractor, who he is still friends with.  They built a great house, built to American standards.  He supervised closely and he had construction experience in the U.S.

His daughter attends a very good private school.  She is pretty and smart, and very tall for her age.  The first year at school here, or maybe two, she was miserable.  For whatever reason, she was bullied a lot.  I think she was 11/12 then.  Repeated talks with the school didn't help much.  Most of the kids had rich parents, and in the Philippines, wealth is power.  Luckily, over time, the bullying resolved naturally, and now she is/was (Covid) a star goalie on the football / soccer team.  I think she just turned 15.

Now they are moving back to the U.S. and selling their big beautiful house.  The main reasons are that the daughter wants to go back to her friends and high school in the U.S, and, his wife, in general, was also unhappy with their new lifestyle.

My friend really does not want to move, but he wants his family to be happy.  If anyone is interested in a really nice house in Sta. Rosa, let me know.  He is going ask 22 million pesos, fully furnished.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

14 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

I will share a related story.  A friend of mine married a Filipina years ago and they lived in the U.S., East coast.  They planned to move to the Philippines when he retired at 55.  They made a lot of trips over here over the years, and bought a double lot to build a house.  They have one daughter, who was born in the U.S. 

So he retired and they moved.  They rented while they built their house in Sta Rosa, Laguna.  They had an excellent contractor, who he is still friends with.  They built a great house, built to American standards.  He supervised closely and he had construction experience in the U.S.

His daughter attends a very good private school.  She is pretty and smart, and very tall for her age.  The first year at school here, or maybe two, she was miserable.  For whatever reason, she was bullied a lot.  I think she was 11/12 then.  Repeated talks with the school didn't help much.  Most of the kids had rich parents, and in the Philippines, wealth is power.  Luckily, over time, the bullying resolved naturally, and now she is/was (Covid) a star goalie on the football / soccer team.  I think she just turned 15.

Now they are moving back to the U.S. and selling their big beautiful house.  The main reasons are that the daughter wants to go back to her friends and high school in the U.S, and, his wife, in general, was also unhappy with their new lifestyle.

My friend really does not want to move, but he wants his family to be happy.  If anyone is interested in a really nice house in Sta. Rosa, let me know.  He is going ask 22 million pesos, fully furnished.

Man that's quite sad. 😕

20 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Another thing is, the cost of living is currently skyrocketing here.  Housing in a nice area is outrageous, and the quality in even an expensive house is always suspect.  We may have a lot of rules, regulations and fees in the U.S., but at least you can get a well built house with quality.  Currently, in nice areas of Luzon, they are asking higher prices than houses I am looking at in the U.S.

Wait until you see the prices in America start skyrocketing. If you are looking at houses for less in US that are less, then you are certainly not looking where I live. It seems everyone is trying to convince me I am wrong for wanting to live there. As if I don't have friends or know people. I base my decisions on my life and what I have learned. Like I said earlier, there are 2 sides of every coin and a lot of people seem to only see one side. I look at both.

34 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Wait until you see the prices in America start skyrocketing. If you are looking at houses for less in US that are less, then you are certainly not looking where I live. It seems everyone is trying to convince me I am wrong for wanting to live there. As if I don't have friends or know people. I base my decisions on my life and what I have learned. Like I said earlier, there are 2 sides of every coin and a lot of people seem to only see one side. I look at both.

Yes, House have sky rocketed in the last decade in USA. 

Interest rate is less than 2% on a 15 year note, and low 2% on a 30 year note which is almost like free money.  

15 hours ago, jskibo said:

Wife and I also want to get over there by the end of the year and spend 6-8 weeks looking for some land for retirement (been waiting a year now for that as well).

You would think once Philippines open back up for tourism and gets rid of all the quarantines for travelers and curfews and lockdowns, the price of land should be some good bargins out there.  It seems as if the politicians have done there very best to kill the Philippines economy.

39 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

It seems everyone is trying to convince me I am wrong for wanting to live there.

No, not exactly from me.  What I was mostly talking about is your kids.  As I said, I would stay here if it was just me, my wife and older stepdaughter, I would stay here.  However, for my two younger daughters, I believe their lives will be enriched by our move to the U.S.

5 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

If you are looking at houses for less in US that are less, then you are certainly not looking where I live.

Your profile says you live in Hawaii, the most expensive state, so that certainly is true.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Just now, seekingthetruth said:

No, not exactly from me.  What I was mostly talking about is your kids.  As I said, I would stay here if it was just me, my wife and older stepdaughter, I would stay here.  However, for my two younger daughters, I believe their lives will be enriched by our move to the U.S.

Your profile says you live in Hawaii, the most expensive state, so that certainly is true.

Wrong person,  I am in Texas some of the cheapest houses in the USA.

Hawaii is retarded on house prices, been that way for ever.

7 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Yes, House have sky rocketed in the last decade in USA. 

Interest rate is less than 2% on a 15 year note, and low 2% on a 30 year note which is almost like free money.  

I'm of the opinion, as are many others, that U.S. real estate is in a big bubble.  Prices have zoomed up in many areas during Covid mainly because of lack of inventory (people not moving) and the low rates.  Some areas are being held up by city folks moving to the suburbs.  Manhattan has 3 years of inventory.  Texas has 1-2 months of inventory.

However, hanging over everything is the fact that millions are way behind on their rent and on their mortgages.  The government can't postpone evictions and foreclosures forever.  It will happen.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

5 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Wrong person,  I am in Texas some of the cheapest houses in the USA.

Hawaii is retarded on house prices, been that way for ever.

Uh oh!  I got things twisted up, didn't I!!!!

Ok, but I don't understand your comment.  I am looking at houses in Texas, target area San Antonio, everyday.  In fact, we just had a video call with a Filipina real estate agent there!  I think the inflated prices will drop some before I buy in 2022.  However, looking at 300k usd in SA vs. what 300k USD will get you in Luzon now, SA wins hands down.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.