meauxna

Posting Safety at VisaJourney

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
To those that do PM for immigration advice

The risks

No single member has all the correct information. No single member is knowledgeable or has experiences in all areas of immigration. By relying on a single member in a PM for an answer to a immigration issue you risk getting wrong information that can't be corrected by other members like it would if posted in the forums. Immigration can change like the wind, policies/rules change, information upgraded, etc. Other members may also have direct experiences that differ than what is commonly known. Consulates also vary in their requirements.

When questions are asked in PM's and answers given it also takes away the opportunity for others to learn. This is afterall a site for sharing information and experiences.

Questions you should ask yourself

How important is your immigration process?

Who is responsible for my immigration process?

Should I rely on one members opinion given as advice in a PM?

To those that feel they are ridiculed....This is a message board, other members cannot hurt you. They are words. Wade through the ####### that is often thrown around, until you get to the posts that are helpful and that do not judge. You OWE that to yourself. By reverting to PMs you HIGHLY RISK misinformation that CAN'T be corrected, which CAN screw up your case. What is more important....avoiding some hurtful remarks or finding the information that WILL help you.

Speaking for myself I prefer to ask and answer in public, that way if I am given wrong information or if I miss something in an answer there is a good chance it will be corrected.

I feel it is important though that some people may not feel comfortable sharing information in public, when I asked a question way back about my adoption certificate I had many private replies from people who didn't want to state the fact of their adoption in public, I wouldn't slam all private replies.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those that do PM for immigration advice

The risks

No single member has all the correct information. No single member is knowledgeable or has experiences in all areas of immigration. By relying on a single member in a PM for an answer to a immigration issue you risk getting wrong information that can't be corrected by other members like it would if posted in the forums. Immigration can change like the wind, policies/rules change, information upgraded, etc. Other members may also have direct experiences that differ than what is commonly known. Consulates also vary in their requirements.

When questions are asked in PM's and answers given it also takes away the opportunity for others to learn. This is afterall a site for sharing information and experiences.

Questions you should ask yourself

How important is your immigration process?

Who is responsible for my immigration process?

Should I rely on one members opinion given as advice in a PM?

To those that feel they are ridiculed....This is a message board, other members cannot hurt you. They are words. Wade through the ####### that is often thrown around, until you get to the posts that are helpful and that do not judge. You OWE that to yourself. By reverting to PMs you HIGHLY RISK misinformation that CAN'T be corrected, which CAN screw up your case. What is more important....avoiding some hurtful remarks or finding the information that WILL help you.

Speaking for myself I prefer to ask and answer in public, that way if I am given wrong information or if I miss something in an answer there is a good chance it will be corrected.

I feel it is important though that some people may not feel comfortable sharing information in public, when I asked a question way back about my adoption certificate I had many private replies from people who didn't want to state the fact of their adoption in public, I wouldn't slam all private replies.

I do agree. However I doubt most PM's fall into that category. e.g. I receive PM's from members who have never posted as much as a hello on VJ and ask the normal run of the mill immigration questions that would be best served, not only to themselves but other members, by being asked in the forums.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Timely reminder time!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
In a thread earlier today, someone posted this:

Already I have chosen the people I would rather ask information from via personal message rather than post.

It caused me to think, really this is not such a good idea. It's my personal policy to not discuss immigration matters in private message or email, and I really recommend that people *seeking* information not do so in private.

Why? Discussion groups like Visa Journey are a collection of our experiences. Sometimes we get the info wrong when we're passing it onto each other or information changes. By posting our questions and answers in public, bad info can be corrected, and good info can be reaffirmed.

Also, someone coming along after is *sure* to have the same question. Often, unheard lurkers benefit greatly from the open exchange of information.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)

Yes it is a good policy. I sometimes make errors which are immediately corrected on the public forums.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I miss the ppl from this thread....they gave good visa info and worked together....they were good ppl, too bad most of them left :(

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

I miss the ppl from this thread....they gave good visa info and worked together....they were good ppl, too bad most of them left :(

I agree. Tara. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree. This forum has corrected all the incorect rumours I have heard elsewhere, and has helped us with doingit ourself. Our I-129F Package is going off today :D. SCARY!!

Our Timeline:

4.2006 Met online.

3.26.2008 Became official.

5.14-7.2.2008 Ash's visits Texas. First time we met :D <3<3<3

8.6-28.2008 Haley's first visit to England!

8.13.2008 Meeting with immigration lawyer in London.

11.12-12.2-2008 Ash's visits Texas for Thanksgiving (12.1 Ash proposes!)

12.26.2008-1.13.2009 Haley visits England again, Ash comes back to Texas, too.

1.28.2009 Ash goes back to England :(

2.9.2009 We started I-129F forms!!

2.23.2009 Mailed I-129F =)

2.25.2009 I-129 arrived at VSC

2.26.2009 NOA1

3.2.2009 Check cashed!

3.3.2009 Touched

5.14.2009 Ash visits Texas

6.23.2009 Ash goes back to England, hoping for an NOA2 soon!!

7.15.2009 NOA2 EMAIL!!

7.20.2009 NVC received petition

7.20.2009 Petition sent to London (wow, same day!)

7.21.2009 NOA2 hardcopy received

7.27.2009 Embassy received petition

7.30.2009 Ash got packet 3 :)

8.5.2009-8.24.2009 Haley visits England a third time.

8.27.2009 Packet 3 sent!

9.19.2009 Packet 4 received!!

10.15.2009 Ash's medical

10.20.2009 Haley arrives in England :3

10.22.2009 Interview - Approved! :D

10.30.2009 Visa received

11.16.2009 Ash arrives in Texas!

01.08.2010 Married!

• 1 month later...
Why are people "afraid" to ask questions? I just don't get that. This is an anonymous forum. What do you care if someone attacks you for asking a stupid question? Chances are, at least one person will respond with a good answer. So ignore the "arrogant veterans" and get your info.

I agree Jenn3539. This is an anonymous posting, so I don't know why people get so touchy about some critiscism. I can say from my experience on VJ, the ones who have encountered critiscism, sometimes need to hear it because what they were thinking of doing was wrong, illegal or outright ridiculous. Perhaps some people cannot handle the truth.

However, I believe that posting in public is fantastic. I always get lots of advice but usually you can tell when the majority are saying something it is probably accurate.

Also, I had spoken to many immi attorneys before we filed (first consulation was always free!) and I can say that they are full of #######! We saved at least $7000 USD by doing it ourselves. The only reason I was considering an attorney was because I didn't think I would have time to go through and read all the info, but it was actually very easy with the help of the VJers and VJ forums, guides, calls to NVC, USCIS website etc.

USCIS JOURNEY

14-Sep-08 Sent I-130

23-Sep-08 Recieved NOA1

28-Oct-08 Received NOA1

09-Feb-09 Received RFE for I-130

16-Feb-09 Sent Evidence for I-130

26-Feb-09 Received email NOA2 Approved!

28-Feb-09 Received Approval notice for I-130

NVC JOURNEY

12-Mar-09 NVC Received File

17-Mar-09 Emailed DS 3032 to NVC

28-Mar-09 Received DS3032 and AOS Bill via email

28-Mar-09 Paid AOS Bill online - Status = In Process

29-Mar-09 Emailed scanned DS3032 & posted via snail mail

30-Mar-09 Received email that DS3032 was received by NVC and that IV Bill will be sent

31-Mar-09 Paid IV Bill

31-Mar-09 AOS Bill Status = PAID !!!

06-Apr-09 Hubby posted DS230 and AOS priority and certified

08-Apr-09 @11:04am - Item Delivered PORTSMOUTH NH 03801 04/08/09 11:02am

10-Apr-09 NVC AVR states documents received

17-Apr-09 AVR states Case Complete at NVC!!!

21-Apr-09 Expedite request approved

24-Apr-09 Case sent from NVC to Sydney Consulate

29-Apr-09 Medical Appointment - Passed, YIPPEE and Thank You God !

05-May-09 Interview scheduled at Sydney Consulate APPROVED!!!

16-May-09 - Arrived in USA!!!!

20-May-09 Got my SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
This is an anonymous posting, so I don't know why people get so touchy about some critiscism. I can say from my experience on VJ, the ones who have encountered critiscism, sometimes need to hear it because what they were thinking of doing was wrong, illegal or outright ridiculous. Perhaps some people cannot handle the truth.

That's not always true. Maybe sometimes the people who have received criticism have 'deserved' it, at least according to some. But not everyone who gets criticized was doing anything "wrong, illegal or outright ridiculous". I had to ask last year about the effect a false abuse allegation would have on my husband's status, especially when we would file to remove conditions. Thank God (literally) that he was cleared, but before he was (which took several months), our lives were hell. He did nothing wrong, I did nothing wrong, but we were both terrified that he would end up in jail and/or deported. I also believe if it happened, that my ex would use the opportunity to take my children away from me (which he tried to do anyway, based on the allegations even after they were declared false). So there I was, afraid of losing my husband, my children, and all my money (to legal fees), and then probably my house... As you could imagine, I wasn't exactly ready for the attacks I received when posting. Some people accused me of trying to cover for my husband, assuming (like many people) that anyone who gets accused 'must' be guilty. I had someone else accuse me of just trying to get rid of my husband because I must have gotten bored with him.

So yeah, this is anonymous, and yeah, no one can physically hurt anyone here. But to beat someone up verbally when they're down CAN 'hurt' them.

My ex used to tell me I was crazy, worthless, etc. Not everyone is lucky enough to have either had a life that didn't hurt them emotionally or a strong enough constitution to overcome whatever they did endure. I've definitely come a long way since my divorce, but believe me, almost 20 years of being told how worthless I was did take a toll. And some people get it from their parents, too, which is unavoidable. You don't always know what the poster is going through at the time.

I still post sometimes. But I can understand why some people might not want to. Yes, I also understand there are emotional risks to posting. I understand that some people aren't as tolerant as others. I understand that good advice might be lost because someone is too timid to post. I also realize that even the advice given publicly on the forum isn't 100% guaranteed either.

I appreciate all the people who do their best to be understanding, and not be rude. No, we don't have to sugarcoat things, but there are always more gentle and harsher ways to phrase things. Even if we think someone is being a real dumba##, it doesn't hurt to say what we have to say a little more neutrally (maybe they're being misunderstood in some cases). Remember, too, that some people who ARE being jerks really LOVE the attention they get by stirring others up. Why make them happy by obliging?

I'm not trying to upset people - just show them the 'other' side of the story, at least in my case.

Thanks for reading.

venusfire

Edited by venusfire503

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.