meauxna

Posting Safety at VisaJourney

71 posts in this topic

When I first came on here and was filling out my application I asked one question and was made to feel like an idiot...I didn't ask anymore. But then again I wouldn't have known who to PM anyway!....although I did get 4 sympathy PM's :lol:

Edited by welshcookie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Read the Guides section....there is the K-1 for fiancés and the K-3 for those married and wanting to come to the US. Read Read Read!!!! Talk with your girlfriend (have her read the guides too) and decide which path is right for you. This is a long process, so there's not really a quick fix here. I do know the K-1 is quicker than the K-3. My fiancé and I went the K-1 path and we're almost done with what I call Phase I :)

Hope this helps...and best wishes with whatever path you both decide on. :)

welcome to vj!

As your intention is to marry and settle in the US then no, you need to go via the K1 or K3 route and yes that will involve a seperation (unless she joins you in the UK until the visa process is completed) - if you go another route and are caught you risk a possible life ban from the USA, and I know you don't want to jepordies your future that way.

Welcome to VJ btw :)

:thumbs: excellent advice from both!

wishing you a speedy journey...whichever you decide!

I guess some are afraid of ridicule or criticism of their situation if they do ask. I know I've had criticism aimed at advice such as seeking a marriage counselor before filing for divorce. Albeit that doesn't deter me from giving my advice but I can see how some would be apprehensive about posting.

I can sure appreciate that concern; I think there is way too much life advice injected into immigration question threads. That is something that we as a group can decide to encourage or not (much like the recently locked thread)--it's a community thing. If "we" feel that newer members are inhibited in asking questions, and we don't like it, change each other's behavior by example.

If we're all grown up enough to be moving around the world, surely we can be adult enough to treat each other the way we'd like to be treated.

Thank you for bringing this up. :)

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

When I first came on here and was filling out my application I asked one question and was made to feel like an idiot...I didn't ask anymore. But then again I wouldn't have known who to PM anyway!....although I did get 4 sympathy PM's :lol:

Sad to say, I know how you feel. I was a lurker long before I joined and I didn't register until right before my interview at the embassy because of this.

And yay for sympathy PMs LOL :star:

Timeline

Read the Guides section....there is the K-1 for fiancés and the K-3 for those married and wanting to come to the US. Read Read Read!!!! Talk with your girlfriend (have her read the guides too) and decide which path is right for you. This is a long process, so there's not really a quick fix here. I do know the K-1 is quicker than the K-3. My fiancé and I went the K-1 path and we're almost done with what I call Phase I :)

Hope this helps...and best wishes with whatever path you both decide on. :)

welcome to vj!

As your intention is to marry and settle in the US then no, you need to go via the K1 or K3 route and yes that will involve a seperation (unless she joins you in the UK until the visa process is completed) - if you go another route and are caught you risk a possible life ban from the USA, and I know you don't want to jepordies your future that way.

Welcome to VJ btw :)

:thumbs: excellent advice from both!

wishing you a speedy journey...whichever you decide!

I guess some are afraid of ridicule or criticism of their situation if they do ask. I know I've had criticism aimed at advice such as seeking a marriage counselor before filing for divorce. Albeit that doesn't deter me from giving my advice but I can see how some would be apprehensive about posting.

I can sure appreciate that concern; I think there is way too much life advice injected into immigration question threads. That is something that we as a group can decide to encourage or not (much like the recently locked thread)--it's a community thing. If "we" feel that newer members are inhibited in asking questions, and we don't like it, change each other's behavior by example.

If we're all grown up enough to be moving around the world, surely we can be adult enough to treat each other the way we'd like to be treated.

Thank you for bringing this up. :)

i have NO idea how this reply wound up in this thread... haha... sorry guys!

ps: i happen to agree about the pm'ing thing... i see these threads as stepping stones... help along the way...

114959908992789.gif

Another suggestion I'd like to make is for folks to be sure and blank out their names or other pertinent information (even an email address) when posting copies of letters, or examples of forms, etc.

I've seen lots of people type in examples of letters (hardship letters in the waivers forum come to mind) and list either their full name or their spouse's name (or both). Just makes me cringe.

You never know who is out there, folks, and what their intentions might be. So protect yourself (and I'm not talking bout condoms :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
Another suggestion I'd like to make is for folks to be sure and blank out their names or other pertinent information (even an email address) when posting copies of letters, or examples of forms, etc.

I've seen lots of people type in examples of letters (hardship letters in the waivers forum come to mind) and list either their full name or their spouse's name (or both). Just makes me cringe.

You never know who is out there, folks, and what their intentions might be. So protect yourself (and I'm not talking bout condoms :lol:

agree with ya tracy!

114959908992789.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If you ask something in private and the person gives you a wrong advice, you'll never know it's wrong because you won't have other VJers to support that advice.

This is the #1 reason you should not rely on private advice. I have many times seen someone ask for advice, and someone else answers them with incorrect information. More often than not, someone else will jump in and correct the information. Obviously this is not going to happen in a private exchange.

With a few exceptions, the people here are not immigration attorneys. A few people have become quite adept and knowledgeable about the immigration process, but if you are really unsure about something and it is important that you know the facts, you may be well off going to talk to an attorney.

That said, with some of the experiences some of us here have had with immigration attorneys, you might be better off just going with what people here tell you. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I totally agree ... Some people get so arrogant when someone asks a question that they don't ask future questions because they are worried about looking like and idiot again ....

Sometimes when you are searching for something on VJ it is not always easy to find what you are looking for or to know what to search ... I spent like 2 hours looking for the doctor information for Vancouver a while back and was unable to find it ... Because I didn't want someone to give me a hard time about not searching for it properly or for asking stupid questions I decided to PM a fellow Vancouverite got the answer very easy ....

I think sometimes people need to be a little more patient with the new people ... Remember all of us were once new on this site and overwhelmed with what to do and how to do it ..

Thats just my 2 (canadian) cents worth :)

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I have myself asked a few questions in prv msging, ive also answered a few questions in prv msging, but that 1% was just stuff i didnt feel confortable posting due to critisism and yes redicule, people can be cruel, there are some people who never post on here or give advice, but the minute you post something that they get an itch up the ####### about, they are critising you big time and yes can make you feel like poop, and at this moment in our lives its the last thing we want to feel. the other 99% of what i have to ask and say ill do it right here, but i would NEVER concider only a few people worth talking and asking things to, everyone on here gives awesome advice and opinions, its up to you to take it as bad or good.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline

Im not surprised this happened to you. People post their email on here and the forums lets us utilize personal messages so we dont get ridiculed. I see no harm in it especially when you're trying to avoid a lynching crowd.

I totally agree ... Some people get so arrogant when someone asks a question that they don't ask future questions because they are worried about looking like and idiot again ....

Sometimes when you are searching for something on VJ it is not always easy to find what you are looking for or to know what to search ... I spent like 2 hours looking for the doctor information for Vancouver a while back and was unable to find it ... Because I didn't want someone to give me a hard time about not searching for it properly or for asking stupid questions I decided to PM a fellow Vancouverite got the answer very easy ....

I think sometimes people need to be a little more patient with the new people ... Remember all of us were once new on this site and overwhelmed with what to do and how to do it ..

Thats just my 2 (canadian) cents worth :)

Did you read a thread a few days back they had to put a lock on because a poster came off as sound rude with her title then apologized but still the crowd gave her hell so she left and STILL they wouldnt stop! No wonder people are afraid to post!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Why are people "afraid" to ask questions? I just don't get that. This is an anonymous forum. What do you care if someone attacks you for asking a stupid question? Chances are, at least one person will respond with a good answer. So ignore the "arrogant veterans" and get your info.

Well said meauxna, when I first joined VJ, I knew nothing about any of these immigration. Many thanks to all VJ members and I'm half way to bring my fiancee here to the states. Only sensitive info should be kept private.

2008-01-31 applied for SSA

2008-02-10 Received Notice fr SSA

2008-02-10 SSC issued with 10-BD

2008-02-14 Married; will get MC within 10 BD

2008-02-18 Recievd SSC

2008-02-27 Recieed Marriage Certificate

2008-03-03 485 Filed.

2008-03-08 File Received Chicago

2008-03-17 Rec'd 3 NOAs in the mail, but NOA dated 3/12/08

2008-04-04 Bio Appointment

2008-05-06 I765 in the mail

2008-05-06 I131 approved and in the mail

2008-08-26 Interview in CA 10/20/2008 Approved

2010-10-20 Remove Conditional--Gone Fishing 4 awhile now!!!!!!

2010-12-23 GC received--No More USCIS to deal with for now.

Why are people "afraid" to ask questions? I just don't get that. This is an anonymous forum. What do you care if someone attacks you for asking a stupid question? Chances are, at least one person will respond with a good answer. So ignore the "arrogant veterans" and get your info.

I guess the answer to that is ppl don't know they are asking stupid questions. I had never been on a forum before and was googling visa stuff and eventually found myself here. Actually I followed a link from another immigration site to here but found myself going back to that site for the answer I posted here....and yes it was simple and a simple answer would have nice from here :P

As for the filling in of the rest of the form, I researched myself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.