elkski

Question about Green Card timeline (split)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good to be thinking about all eventualities.   How long is it taking for a Green card After applying for a AOS on a K1 visa?  I thought it was 9 months but I am hearing 24 months now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, elkski said:

Good to be thinking about all eventualities.   How long is it taking for a Green card After applying for a AOS on a K1 visa?  I thought it was 9 months but I am hearing 24 months now?

It's really hard to say.

AOS processing times were highly dependent on your local field office even prior to covid. Prior to covid, some field offices could be finished in a few months, while others often took two years, but 9 months was about average (ours was 5.5 months in 2019, but for a big city with a lot of immigration, San Diego used to be a relatively fast field office).

Between covid becoming less of a factor, backlogs, presumably a reduced volume of applications over the last year or so, staffing shortages due to lack of funding (or, why the fee increases getting blocked in court was very mixed news if you really think about it), and likely a lot of regulatory changes coming down the pipeline, things could change quite a bit between now and when you apply for AOS.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, elkski said:

What local office?

YMMV

2 hours ago, elkski said:

I guess we will be salt lake office.

USCIS estimates 14 to 27 months for family-based adjustment of status for Salt Lake City (https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/).

Edited by Marieke H

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
13 minutes ago, elkski said:

27 months until she can get a green card and work... what is wrong with Ame3rica?  3 as in 3rd world  hole

She can get an EAD to work.  It's currently 6-8 months.

If working immediately is important, then marry and file for the CR-1 spousal visa.  

4 hours ago, elkski said:

27 months until she can get a green card and work... what is wrong with Ame3rica?  3 as in 3rd world  hole

She can work with an EAD, no green card needed for that. A bit late to start researching visa processes, isn't it?

4 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

She can get an EAD to work.  It's currently 6-8 months.

If working immediately is important, then marry and file for the CR-1 spousal visa.  

Exactly.

*** Several hijacking comments split for another users thread. Please be courteous by not completely taking over another member's post seeking advice with questions and comments about your own case. Not only is it against the site rules but it is extremely rude.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well our case is "Ready"   in just 9 days at Bangkok embassy. We had completed DS160 months ago and paid last week so we  could quickly schedule  our Interview. We did it  today for March 29.. earliest available day was March 1.   It only had days mon and Tues  and only March and April.. no dates shown outside of those 2 months.

I admit I didn't really research that much as to what happens after the K1 visa.  I just knew you quickly apply for AOS and a travel permit. I knw the cost and I had heard it takes 6-8 months for her to be able to work... We don't need her to work for money but I think it will important for her to have a social life at a nice job and to feel more connected to America. To keep her life interesting, ETC.

Actually I am surprised how hard it is to find a guide that really explains all the steps in this entire process in one document, for Thailand, with complete information that doesn't assume we are visa experts.  

I admit that from July until October  I tried not to read to much about the visa as it was mostly depressing news. . I just hunkered down for the long extended wait and focused on our relationship and other things.

So now Case ready so what to do?  I really feel the pressure to not mess up now.   I read some people scan the I-134 and letter of intent. 

Some people say you don't need to provider her the I-129 and some say you do?  I  have not been able to travel to visit her since before the I-129 so my passport pages are all in the I-129 they have on record. we will provide fresh letters of intent and some recent chat logs.  I will send  original marriage certificate and divorce decree as part of the I-134.   She has completed vaccinations and she says medical document is ready in 4 hours.    

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 hours ago, elkski said:

27 months until she can get a green card and work... 

Historically (no idea how it's going now), AOS from a K-1 has usually been around the lower end of the officially stated processing time range for family-based AOS at your field office, if not faster. 

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.