RO_AH

Philippines Lifts 36 Country Ban

8 posts in this topic

I have a wife and 2 children there in the Philippines. So after reading if my understanding is correct I will still need to get a Visa to travel there? I last spent time with them 11 months ago and I really want to go see them. Does anyone know what all is involved for me to travel there ?

Yes, you will still need a visa based on the current rules. 

@flicks1998 shared his experience below. Edit: I just realized you'd already posted in his thread! Sorry, I don't have more recent info.

Also worth noting that if your family is outside Manila, you may also need to comply with provincial test and quarantine rules. It may be worth meeting your family in Manila instead, especially since you mentioned your wife has her medical / interview soon.

Edited by Adventine

54 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I have a wife and 2 children there in the Philippines. So after reading if my understanding is correct I will still need to get a Visa to travel there? I last spent time with them 11 months ago and I really want to go see them. Does anyone know what all is involved for me to travel there ?

From the thread @Adventineattached, not too much has changed now that the ban has been lifted.  The biggest change is instead of quarantining for 24 hours in a hotel waiting for the PCR test results that was done at the airport, now you go straight to the hotel and after the 5th day, do the PCR test and next day get the results, then finish your quarantine at home.

The key steps I would follow in the US when filing for the visa is:

• Check the PI Embassy website in DC and see which Consulate you need to apply too.  There is a colored coded map and depending on your state of residence, depends on the Consulate.
  • Write to the Consulate and confirm the requirements.  I applied at the NYC Consulate, but there were a few requirements not listed that I only learned about by writing and reconfirming to them.
  • Youll need a notarized letter from your spouse in the Philippines confirming that she in the country.  This took about a week to receive by LBC.
  • If your spouse does not live in Manila, they should check the province or LGU requirements when you enter the province or hometown.  Some provinces will require that you do another 14 day quarantine as Manila is considered "high risk".  The PI govt term, not mine.  
  • Dont mess around with the flights.  The PAL flights are your best bet to avoid cancellations although the price is higher.  Dont connect through another country.
  • Make sure you have a copy of your marriage certificate or childrens birth certificate (PSA) as this will be asked for at immigration.  I provide the PSA BC and my sons Philippine passport.  I felt the passport eliminated any additional questions as the name and picture of him is there.  Some foreigners (mainly Chinese) have been trying to use fake documents.  Make sure the Consulate gives you the right visa.  I received the 9a visa on exemption of having a spouse in the Philippines, the problem with that is I dont have a spouse in the Philippines (yet) but I have a child.  I had to mail my passport back so they could update the visa as it states on the visa your exemption to enter the country.
  • The 9a you receive will be good for 59 days.  Its extendable.  I just extended mine, no questions were asked.
  • On picking the quarantine hotel, the list is in the Consulate website.  Since that will be your home for almost a week, choose one that has good wifi, which can be hard to do.
  • Also, since you wont be allowed out of your hotel, make sure you buy your sim card after you get your bags at the airport and get enough load.  Its your backup for when the wifi does not work or the signal is weak.  
Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

28 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

now you go straight to the hotel and after the 5th day, do the PCR test and next day get the results, then finish your quarantine at home.

That sucks. I am guessing no one can come to your room either.

31 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Check the PI Embassy website in DC and see which Consulate you need to apply too.  There is a colored coded map and depending on your state of residence, depends on the Consulate.

I am pretty sure it will be here in Honolulu. I have been there many times as they are a customer of the company I work for.

36 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Dont mess around with the flights.  The PAL flights are your best bet to avoid cancellations although the price is higher.  Dont connect through another country.

I only fly PAL direct flight. HNL>MNL

37 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Make sure you have a copy of your marriage certificate or childrens birth certificate (PSA) as this will be asked for at immigration.  I provide the PSA BC and my sons Philippine passport.  I felt the passport eliminated any additional questions as the name and picture of him is there. 

Is a copy good enough? Or do I need any originals?

38 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Also, since you wont be allowed out of your hotel, make sure you buy your sim card after you get your bags at the airport and get enough load.  Its your backup for when the wifi does not work or the signal is weak. 

I have T-Mobile which has free international roaming with data.

5 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

That sucks. I am guessing no one can come to your room either.

Correct.  Nobody can come to the rooms.  In fact, if you were traveling with your spouse into the Philippines, you both would need separate rooms. :)  Yes its crazy, but thats the rules they have.

I am pretty sure it will be here in Honolulu. I have been there many times as they are a customer of the company I work for.

Yes correct.  I didnt see your state, but your right. 

I only fly PAL direct flight. HNL>MNL  

Is a copy good enough? Or do I need any originals?  Copy is OK but you need to get it as a certified true copy.  If you have an original, dont send it to the consulate, but bring it with you for immigration purposes in the PI.  I did my CTC at the UPS store.

I have T-Mobile which has free international roaming with data.  That will work fine!

The CTC copy of my sons PSA birth certificate was one of the items not listed in the NYC Consulate site at the time.  I wrote to them and said I would not send the original PSA as I only had one, and they wrote back saying to make sure its a CTC.  Thats why you may want to write to the HNL consulate and just confirm on the requirements.

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

3 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

dont send it to the consulate

It's a short drive for me so I would hand deliver 🙂 I have contacts there so I will check with them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.