Nikasalts

Do kids attend interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. 

I'm still at 130 stage and since my husband is USC we filled out the form for myself and my 15 year daughter. 

By the time we get to the interview she'll be 16.

I wonder if I'd have to fill out DS 260 for her and would she have to go through medical (my guess is yes on this one) and consulate interview in Montreal with me? 

Thank you kindly :)

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, my husband and I applied back in 2006 to move to the US (we are in Ontario) and in the time we had 2 daughters so we had to add them to our petition and fill out all the forms etc. They are now 8 and 9. We had our interview booked in Montreal last March but it was canceled due to the pandemic. They were to come to the interview and needed medicals too (which we now have to redo) but yes I believe your daughter will need to be added to your application and will attend your interview. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Hi there, my husband and I applied back in 2006 to move to the US (we are in Ontario) and in the time we had 2 daughters so we had to add them to our petition and fill out all the forms etc. They are now 8 and 9. We had our interview booked in Montreal last March but it was canceled due to the pandemic. They were to come to the interview and needed medicals too (which we now have to redo) but yes I believe your daughter will need to be added to your application and will attend your interview. 

2006!!!!! omg! What is taking so long? Is it because you're together in Canada?

Thanks for clarifying the interview. I thought she'll have to go with me. 

Timeline
Just now, Nikasalts said:

2006!!!!! omg! What is taking so long? Is it because you're together in Canada?

Thanks for clarifying the interview. I thought she'll have to go with me. 

We are F3 visa (Adult children of US citizens) and the process normally took around 10 yrs start to finish. But Trump slowed that way down and then the proclamation which has banned us since we had our interview canceled but hopefully Biden ends that. We were 5 days away from our interview date when it was canceled after waiting that long. 💔

We are all still living in Canada. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Hello. 

I'm still at 130 stage and since my husband is USC we filled out the form for myself and my 15 year daughter. 

By the time we get to the interview she'll be 16.

I wonder if I'd have to fill out DS 260 for her and would she have to go through medical (my guess is yes on this one) and consulate interview in Montreal with me? 

Thank you kindly :)

Did your USC husband file a separate I-130 for your daughter?

Your daughter will need her own I-130, file a DS-260, have a medical, and interview for an immigrant visa.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

We are F3 visa (Adult children of US citizens) and the process normally took around 10 yrs start to finish. But Trump slowed that way down and then the proclamation which has banned us since we had our interview canceled but hopefully Biden ends that. We were 5 days away from our interview date when it was canceled after waiting that long. 💔

Fingers crossed!!! you're almost there :)

Timeline
16 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Her daughter can not be added to her application.

When a USC petitions a spouse, only the spouse will qualify for an immigration visa since derivative beneficiaries are not allowed.  The USC would need to file a separate I-130 to create a separate case for his stepdaughter.

Your family is being petitioned by a USC parent.  In the F3 category, derivative beneficiaries are allowed.  

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

At the NVC, you can request that your case and your daughter's case be linked so that your interviews can be scheduled for the same time.  

Good advice, thank you. 

Will do that (hopefully getting closer to NVC stage everyday)

Timeline
14 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Trump banned the F3 category for a year starting in April 2020.  He did not slow down the category before that.  The reason for the longer wait is that more people were petitioning their married kids in a category where there's an annual limits on the number of available visas.  Essentially, more people getting in line so it takes longer to get to the front of the line.

I hate Trump.  This one isn't on him.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Her daughter can not be added to her application.

When a USC petitions a spouse, only the spouse will qualify for an immigration visa since derivative beneficiaries are not allowed.  The USC would need to file a separate I-130 to create a separate case for his stepdaughter.

Your family is being petitioned by a USC parent.  In the F3 category, derivative beneficiaries are allowed.  

Oh ok I wasn't sure what the visa type was so I guess it's different than ours. 🙂

Yes. As a step-child of a usc she will have a medical and interview. Make sure your cases are joined at the NVC so you only pay one AOS fee. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.