Adventine

2021 Travel: PH-US-PH

67 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Trompie said:

What other options are there? Looks like Taiwan is not allowing foreigners to transit through Taipei airport (EVA Air). Hong Kong seems possible (Cathay Pacific).

Transits through South Korea (ICN) were also available a couple of days ago. Haven't checked SK transit restrictions, though. 

In my experience, Google Flights shows the most options. The price grid is useful for tracking flight prices across days/weeks/months, too. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As of January Transiting through SK was no issue, The airport was dead and nothing I would call "special" while transiting.

Jordan

17 hours ago, Adventine said:

Transits through South Korea (ICN) were also available a couple of days ago. Haven't checked SK transit restrictions, though. 

In my experience, Google Flights shows the most options. The price grid is useful for tracking flight prices across days/weeks/months, too. 

Info on transiting SK from a reliable source.  No issue for you since youll have your PCR test to enter the US (one reason not to do the antigen test). 

International travellers can transit if they do not clear immigration and stay within the transit area for up to 24 hours. However, nationals of Mongolia or Thailand are banned from transiting through South Korea. Travellers of the aforementioned nationalities are exempted from the transit ban if their origin and destination countries are that of a third country. Thai nationals can also transit in South Korea to return to Thailand if they have approval documentation from the Thai embassy.
(Until further notice)

Foreign nationals (including transits and excluding South Korean nationals) travelling from Nepal, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, the Philippines and Uzbekistan must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test result before boarding. The test should be conducted from facilities designated by the South Korean diplomatic missions, and the result should be issued 48 hours prior to arrival in South Korea.
(Until further notice)

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 2/17/2021 at 9:38 AM, flicks1998 said:

Info on transiting SK from a reliable source.  No issue for you since youll have your PCR test to enter the US (one reason not to do the antigen test). 

International travellers can transit if they do not clear immigration and stay within the transit area for up to 24 hours. However, nationals of Mongolia or Thailand are banned from transiting through South Korea. Travellers of the aforementioned nationalities are exempted from the transit ban if their origin and destination countries are that of a third country. Thai nationals can also transit in South Korea to return to Thailand if they have approval documentation from the Thai embassy.
(Until further notice)

Foreign nationals (including transits and excluding South Korean nationals) travelling from Nepal, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, the Philippines and Uzbekistan must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test result before boarding. The test should be conducted from facilities designated by the South Korean diplomatic missions, and the result should be issued 48 hours prior to arrival in South Korea.
(Until further notice)

If the info is from a reliable source, why not provide the source?  I called Korean Air and they put me on hold to check and said that ban was lifted and there are no issues.  This is an issue for me because my Thai fiancé wants to travel with her dog and Korean Air is one of the few airlines that allow small dogs to travel in the cabin.  The snub-nose dog can’t travel in cargo.  Either way, we should make sure of the source.  Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Steve and Nicha said:

If the info is from a reliable source, why not provide the source?  I called Korean Air and they put me on hold to check and said that ban was lifted and there are no issues.  This is an issue for me because my Thai fiancé wants to travel with her dog and Korean Air is one of the few airlines that allow small dogs to travel in the cabin.  The snub-nose dog can’t travel in cargo.  Either way, we should make sure of the source.  Thanks.

Because as part of my job, I have access to paid subscription services that clearly state I am not allowed to post their data online. It’s why I have PMd members here with travel details in the past. I would rather keep my job plus not have the embarrassment for my company. I believe the two subscription services cost about $15k each year. The data I have is updated daily. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

@Adventine I might have missed it, but are you planning to get your CFO? Even though it's a controversial issue whether or not it's needed when traveling with a tourist visa, I found that having it just gave me the peace of mind as I've read many, many, many (yes I used many many's because I've been monitoring other travel experiences since March 2020😂)  stories of people saying that the CFO made the difference with the immigration officer letting them go through or not.

Since we are in the K-1 process, we will need to get the CFO anyway in the future, so I just thought of it as something I got ahead of time, and I can get the actual sticker later on. Plus, we have actual proof with our NOA1 or whatever document that shows the stage you are in to present to the CFO counselor that you are engaged and planning to marry in the future.

I took JAL for my flight to the US, transited through Haneda. Super good customer service, flight is rebookable without fee until March, I think.

@Broccoli Girl hello, I'm not going to get the CFO for this trip. Despite all the online chatter, for the following reasons:

- this is a short tourist trip. I've travelled solo for the past 10 years and I have never been asked for a CFO.

- I've already successfully visited my fiancé in the States, and was not asked for a CFO.

- I'm not immigrating until I get my K1 visa and I have plenty of documentation proving I'm coming back in a few weeks.

I've read the online chatter too, and I've heard of people being asked for CFOs, but then being allowed to depart without them because they successfully showed the immigration officer their knowledge that CFOs are NOT needed for tourist travel.

My personal speculation is that IOs ask for CFOs as a trick question, to see if the traveller is really going on a tourist trip or is secretly migrating abroad.

Timeline

@Adventine that's great. I traveled back in October 2020 and back then everyone got the CFO and most of the IOs asked for it. I think there was a lot of confusion back then with regards to the CFO. The rules never changed but somehow it became the norm for the IOs to ask for it.

I also have good travel history and have visited my fiance in the US multiple times in the past years without being asked to present it. I was just super anxious when I traveled during COVID and didn't want to take the chance with a grumpy IO or a grumpy IO supervisor offloading me over one document. If it's not such a hassle to get it nowadays, I would still recommend anyone to get it.

@Broccoli Girl I understand, the IOs can be unpredictable and offload people with legitimate intentions. I also understand not wanting to ruin a trip over a missing document, and that people's anxieties run very high during this pandemic.

However, I'll stand by the usual policy, which is that CFOs are not required for tourist travel. If I am asked, I will diplomatically and respectfully ask the IO for the written laws that require tourists to present CFOs for simple visits to their fiancés. 

Timeline

@Adventine good luck and safe travels! I do have a feeling the IOs are more relaxed now compared to last year. Back then I even had to get a notarized affidavit from a lawyer which sounded ridiculous as a tourist traveler but I just wanted to cover all the bases.

2 minutes ago, Broccoli Girl said:

@Adventine good luck and safe travels! I do have a feeling the IOs are more relaxed now compared to last year. Back then I even had to get a notarized affidavit from a lawyer which sounded ridiculous as a tourist traveler but I just wanted to cover all the bases.

Thank you, I understand that you're coming from a place of concern, and also because the feeling of distrust in the PH government and its inconsistency is now so widespread. 

Once I arrive in the States, I'll post an update here, to help others in the same position.

Does anyone have experience presenting PCR test results from Makati Medical Center for travel to the US?

I booked an appointment at Makati Medical Center for the PCR test (PHP 5,000), results available online in 24-48 hours. They sent me a long text message to confirm my appointment and other reminders.

I'm slightly concerned by this part of the message: "Please take note that Medical Certificates and Fit to Travel papers are not included upon releasing of results." I called to inquire, and they explained that these two documents (Medical Certificate and Fit to Travel) require one of their doctors to evaluate my PCR test results. And of course, there are additional fees and wait times involved. 

I understood from several sources that, as long as I have the PCR test result from the laboratory that shows my name, identifying information, and a clear indication that I tested negative for COVID-19, that's enough to meet the US travel requirements?

Would be such a shame to show up at the airport with only the PCR test result, only to find out they will require a Medical Certificate or Fit to Travel document.

I believe the medical certificate and fitness to travel would be relevant only if you had previously been prevented from traveling due to testing COVID positive or otherwise showing symptoms.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 2/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, Adventine said:

I'm slightly concerned by this part of the message: "Please take note that Medical Certificates and Fit to Travel papers are not included upon releasing of results." I called to inquire, and they explained that these two documents (Medical Certificate and Fit to Travel) require one of their doctors to evaluate my PCR test results. And of course, there are additional fees and wait times involved.

I was just going over rules again trying to plan a next trip and I do notice the word "certificate" used related to the US.  Maybe you should clarify that further.  I would assume you get a written test result signed off by someone.  By any rule I see it doesn't have to be a doctor signing it but I'm not sure they would accept a strictly online result.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

58 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I was just going over rules again trying to plan a next trip and I do notice the word "certificate" used related to the US.  Maybe you should clarify that further.  I would assume you get a written test result signed off by someone.  By any rule I see it doesn't have to be a doctor signing it but I'm not sure they would accept a strictly online result.

I called Makati Med and they simply referred me to the latest travel requirements for my destination (I get it, avoiding liability).

I called ANA (my airline from PH to Japan), and they said they would follow whatever rules are set by the US government for a trip to the US.

So I looked up some "official" US sources:

I am familiar with the Makati Med test result format: it will show my full name, date of birth, date/time of test, test type, and test result. Based on these two sources, I think I should be okay with just the lab result. 

In case it is not okay I will be sure to come back here and prevent other people from falling into the same trap!

Edited by Adventine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.