Trumplestiltskin

Israel model for Iraq, says Bush

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unless something has changed fundamentally over there in recent months - he seems to be understating quite significantly the sectarian/tribal divisions in that country which are at the root of the unrest.

It also sounds like he's come off his "nothing but absolute victor at any cost" mantra. Given that the Israelis are a single unified people, I think comparisons to Israel are premature at best...

US President George W Bush has appealed for people to give his strategy in Iraq a chance - holding up Israel as a model for defining success there.

He said America would like to see Iraq function as a democracy while dealing with violence - just as Israel does. Speaking at the US Naval War College, Mr Bush said success in Iraq would not be defined by an end to attacks.

His remarks come as members of his Republican party are increasingly turning against the war in Iraq. The US president characterised the war in Iraq as primarily against al-Qaeda forces and their use of "headline-grabbing" suicide attacks and car bombings.

He said: "Our success in Iraq must not be measured by the enemy's ability to get a car bombing in the evening news."

The terms of success set out by Mr Bush included "the rise of a government that can protect its people, deliver basic services for all its citizens and function as a democracy even amid violence". Mr Bush suggested Israel as a standard to work towards.

"In places like Israel, terrorists have taken innocent human life for years in suicide attacks. "The difference is that Israel is a functioning democracy and it's not prevented from carrying out its responsibilities. And that's a good indicator of success that we're looking for in Iraq."

'Well-conceived plan'

In December US President George W Bush announced the deployment of a total of 21,500 extra troops in Iraq.

In early March Defence Secretary Robert Gates approved a request for an extra 2,200 military police to support the security drive in Baghdad. Mr Bush asked officials and the public for patience to allow his strategy to work, thus giving Iraq's leaders time to achieve political reconciliation.

"It's a well-conceived plan by smart military people. And we owe them the time, and we owe them the support they need to succeed," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6251982.stm

Edited by erekose

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It also sounds like he's come off his "nothing but absolute victor at any cost" mantra. Given that the Israelis are a single unified people, I think comparisons to Israel are premature at best...

Well, Israel does have a sizeable Palestinian population (Palestinian citizens of Israel, not the occupied territories.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Israel. Woot!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

don't say that, you might get your comment deleted, lucky! :huh:

Yeah. The Israel haters might turn me in. :(

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
don't say that, you might get your comment deleted, lucky! :huh:

Yeah. The Israel haters might turn me in. :(

There's a new "Praise/Report Member" function.

I hate censorship and am going to report all moderators. :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, Israel does have a sizeable Palestinian population (Palestinian citizens of Israel, not the occupied territories.)

I'd say the factional division between Iraqis are rather more volatile.

More accurate would be Pakistan, which has a raft of groups with some generally dominant (Muslim Punjabis, though not at present--Musharraf is a mohajir) and others who'd either like to be heard (in general, mohajirs would fit here) and others who have scores to settle (Sindhis, many of the Balochs, Shias).

(ironically, the description has only changed marginally after 1971; prior to that, the description "marginalised Muslim Bengali majority" could have been added to it)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I don't think Pakistan would be the correct example, as There is only 3% Shi'ite in the sunni country while That is the biggest problem in Iraq where you have Majority Shi'ite plus People following different Imams (some are with the Coalation forces and most are against) while the the Sunni's don't have live Imams.

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam

2007-05-29 Interview Approved!

2007-05-29 AP starts

2007-11-01 Wife got call to pickup her Visa from American Express

2008-01-12 POE at JFK

***I-485***

2008-11-10 I-485 Sent to Chicago

2008-11-20 Payment accepted

2008-11-22 I-485 NOA1

2009-01-09 Biometric

2009-03-08 Interview Letter

2009-04-08 Interview Approved!

2009-04-08 Welcome letter received

2009-04-18 Green Card Received

USA_b.gifpakistan_b.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and anything posted is just my own opinion

Filed: Timeline

The 'divisions' in Pakistan are mostly borne out of the political ambitions of various factions/leaders - they only masquerade as religious or ethnic problems.

eta: if you want to see the divisions in pakistan vanish, start a war with india. vice versa true as well :P

Edited by Gupt

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
The 'divisions' in Pakistan are mostly borne out of the political ambitions of various factions/leaders - they only masquerade as religious or ethnic problems.

eta: if you want to see the divisions in pakistan vanish, start a war with india. vice versa true as well :P

It's funny how that works, But I think thats everywhere look here after Sept 11

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam