Mike209

Good hotel in walking distance to the US Embassy?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you check the pinned topics for Philippines, we have some there. 

or use airbnb.

Red Planet Manila Bay

It literally across the street from the USEM

American Sized beds, New, AirCon, American sized shower with large rain shower heads, free shampoo/conditioner.

Room comes with a safe, kettle, blow dryer, large TV on the wall

Price varies depending on demand I have paid between 1000 peso to 2100 peso

Right now price is 1881 per night

Red Planet Manila Bay | Budget Hotel Deals (redplanethotels.com)

10 hours ago, Mike209 said:

Any help with this would be appreciated

Just a FYI

I have stayed in the area many times for many nights.  There are many hotels within walking distance from the USEM.

You should have no issue finding a hotel very close to the USEM.  When I say close I mean like walk outside your hotel and you can see the Embassy.

Just to give some current insight, the hotel situation is a bit of a mess here right now.  Most hotels if they are listed on the government list of Quarantine hotels are supposed to be specifically for that.  Meaning, if your not in quarantine, they are not supposed to be taking guests.  However many are still doing this but there is a bit of concern due to the recent murder/death/etc of the PAL stewardess in the City Garden Grand in Makati.  So you may want to check if the hotels are now following the rules given to them as a "quarantine hotel."  City Garden Grand has been forced to close for 6 months as they were taking guests other than for quarantine purposes.  It seems that hotels that volunteered to be a quarantine hotel were getting a significant chunk of change from the government for doing so.

Your best bet is to go into Agoda and book something that requires no payment now.  You can then communicate with the property directly and tell them that you are booking not for quarantine purposes but for an appointment at USEM.  They will all come back to you within 24 hours.  If they are only taking quarantine guests, then you can cancel for free and look for another.  If the Red Planet location is listed in the Official quarantine hotel site, they will probably not take any other booking besides for quarantine purposes.  I tried to book one night in the Red Planet in Rockwell and was told I could not.  

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

2 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Just to give some current insight, the hotel situation is a bit of a mess here right now.  Most hotels if they are listed on the government list of Quarantine hotels are supposed to be specifically for that.  Meaning, if your not in quarantine, they are not supposed to be taking guests.  However many are still doing this but there is a bit of concern due to the recent murder/death/etc of the PAL stewardess in the City Garden Grand in Makati.  So you may want to check if the hotels are now following the rules given to them as a "quarantine hotel."  City Garden Grand has been forced to close for 6 months as they were taking guests other than for quarantine purposes.  It seems that hotels that volunteered to be a quarantine hotel were getting a significant chunk of change from the government for doing so.

Your best bet is to go into Agoda and book something that requires no payment now.  You can then communicate with the property directly and tell them that you are booking not for quarantine purposes but for an appointment at USEM.  They will all come back to you within 24 hours.  If they are only taking quarantine guests, then you can cancel for free and look for another.  If the Red Planet location is listed in the Official quarantine hotel site, they will probably not take any other booking besides for quarantine purposes.  I tried to book one night in the Red Planet in Rockwell and was told I could not.  

Good point about being a quarantine hotel

Have you stayed at the Red Planet Rockwell?  

The Manila Bay one is modern and nice with fast elevators and the whole building is up to date, it a bit small but I like it.

The Red Planet in Makita is kinda a dump, and it's in the Red Light district but it has a fantastic bar that has some of the best Pizza in Philippines, and they deliver 24/7 to your room.

I have stayed at Red Planet Davao City and it's ok, don't think I would stay again.  

2 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Good point about being a quarantine hotel

Have you stayed at the Red Planet Rockwell?  

The Manila Bay one is modern and nice with fast elevators and the whole building is up to date, it a bit small but I like it.

The Red Planet in Makita is kinda a dump, and it's in the Red Light district but it has a fantastic bar that has some of the best Pizza in Philippines, and they deliver 24/7 to your room.

I have stayed at Red Planet Davao City and it's ok, don't think I would stay again.  

I havent stayed in Rockwell.  Was looking to do it for a night but was refused as they are not taking regular guests.

Team Insider is the bar under the Red Planet Makati.  Unfortunately, they have been closed during most of the pandemic.  I went over the 1st day after my quarantine ended and it was shut down.  Whether it is permanent or not, I do not know.  They had some great Nacho salad and some other dishes as well.  Was always packed for the Pacquiao fights.  Services could be real slow though.

Red Planet used to be Tune Hotel and I stayed at the one in Makati when it was Tune.  They werent bad, but the rooms were quite small.  When it was Tune, back around 2010-2013 or so, you had the choice to choose if you wanted access to air-con, the TV, wifi, etc.  Each service was extra.  It was the same owners as Air Asia but then was sold and became Red Planet.  I was in the Tune hotel in Cebu as well, they are all the same pretty much.  Its a decent option for a room, however if booking at the last minute, alot of times you can find more competitive places.  Ive been a big fan of Airbnbs over the last 4-5 years.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

16 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Team Insider is the bar under the Red Planet Makati.  Unfortunately, they have been closed during most of the pandemic.  I went over the 1st day after my quarantine ended and it was shut down.  Whether it is permanent or not, I do not know.  They had some great Nacho salad and some other dishes as well.  Was always packed for the Pacquiao fights.  Services could be real slow though.

Team Insider, correct. I thought it was pretty good bar especailly for the Philippines.  Food was good and beer/drinks were ice cold.  I hope it's not shut down for good, I would go there just for the food sometimes when I was in Manila.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.