Eduardo199

J-1 No objection Statement (Where to request? Mexico)

24 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Eduardo199 said:

I am located in Texas.

Problem is that only part of the funding was Fulbright.

What happens if my waiver gets rejected?

There are 11 mexican consulates in Texas. Contact the nearest to inquire on the no objection letter. 

And I do agree with @Coco8: try getting the waiver presenting a compelling case -focus on the importance of your academic area/field and level of expertise, not on hardships- but plan for the worst case scenario. 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

There are 11 mexican consulates in Texas. Contact the nearest to inquire on the no objection letter. 

And I do agree with @Coco8: try getting the waiver presenting a compelling case -focus on the importance of your academic area/field and level of expertise, not on hardships- but plan for the worst case scenario. 

Thanks!

My plan is to change visa and spend the rest of my program traveling back and forth between the US and Mexico to sum days to my 2 year restriction. I think I can sum up to 500 days doing this and request a waiver for the remaining.

Thank you all for your answers!

9 minutes ago, Eduardo199 said:

Thanks!

My plan is to change visa and spend the rest of my program traveling back and forth between the US and Mexico to sum days to my 2 year restriction. I think I can sum up to 500 days doing this and request a waiver for the remaining.

Umm, that may not work. If you go the COS route in the US as soon as you leave country to Mexico you’ll need to go get a new visa. With embassies not processing regular cases (students with some exceptions) you’re bound to be stuck in Mexico and you don’t know if consular officer will approve or refuse your visa. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

15 minutes ago, Eduardo199 said:

Thanks!

There are limits to the types of visa you could get. You cannot get an H1B and you might not even be able to switch to an F1 (I know cases in which it was not possible). 

Even if you get 500 days, you won't get the remaining days. It's Fulbright and that when you take the fellowship, it's with the idea of an exchange and that you will go back. It's the goal of the program.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Filed: Timeline
On 1/20/2021 at 11:13 PM, Eduardo199 said:

Thanks!

Does your program serial number for your J-1 visa start with a G-1 or G-2? If so, this indicates that your program is, at least in part, US government funded.  For G-1 or G-2 (and some G-3 and G-7) serial program numbers, the individual must be documented as a J1 exchange visitor, even if qualified for another visa categories such as F1. (See 9 FAM 402.5-6 (B)(2)(a) at https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040205.html).  So, if your plan is to remain in the same program on an F1 visa, or another vIsa category, and your program number starts with a "G", you will not be able to implement such a plan.

Edited by jan22

Filed: Timeline
On 1/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, milimelo said:

Umm, that may not work. If you go the COS route in the US as soon as you leave country to Mexico you’ll need to go get a new visa. With embassies not processing regular cases (students with some exceptions) you’re bound to be stuck in Mexico and you don’t know if consular officer will approve or refuse your visa. 

A change of status from J-1 that is subject to the home residency requirement to any other visa category is not possible without a waiver of that home residency requirement.  (See the "If you are an international exchange visitor (J-1)..." paragraph at https://www.uscis.gov/visit-the-united-states/change-my-nonimmigrant-status.)  

Edited by jan22

On 9/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, Miguel22 said:

Hello Eduardo199, I am in the similar situation, did you figure how to apply for theJ-1 No objection Statement from Mexico

I just googled and it was the second result

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/prot

Las cartas de no objeción se tramitan en la Sección Consular de la Embajada de México en Estados Unidos. Con este trámite, los portadores de visas estadounidenses J-1 podrán continuar su petición ante el Departamento de Estados de Estados Unidos para cambiar su estatus migratorio.

Si usted no vive en Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia o West Virginia, deberá acudir al consulado de México más cercano para entregar personalmente su documentación. A su vez, las oficinas consulares de México en Estados Unidos envían los documentos a la Sección Consular de la Embajada de México.

Para consultar requisitos generales, haga click aquí. Se recomienda ampliamente que antes de iniciar el trámite, se comunique con nuestro personal al correo electrónico proteccionwas@sre.gob.mx o bien, al teléfono 202-736-1012 para atender particularidades que se pudieran presentar.

Igualmente, agradeceremos dar click aquí para descargar la carta solicitud para comenzar con el trámite. Este documento contiene un texto base en el que usted podrá ingresar la información que considere pertinente para reflejar su situación.

Si usted recibió apoyo por parte de la Comisión México-Estados Unidos para el Intercambio Cultural (COMEXUS) para obtener una visa J-1, es importante que tenga en cuenta que la COMEXUS no apoya el proceso para solicitar el cambio de estatus ante el Departamento de Estados de aquellas personas que no han cumplido con el requisito de regresar a México por un periodo de dos años.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.