Eduardo199

J-1 No objection Statement (Where to request? Mexico)

24 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Everyone! I hope you are doing ok.

• I am a mexican student under J-1 visa, and I have the 2 year home rule. I would like to apply for a waiver but I cannot find any information about the No Objection Statement (NOS) in any mexican embassy web page.
  • Does anyone know where can I request this letter or who to contact?
  • I appreciate any help! Thank you

Timeline

23 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

You have to apply to the Department of State, not the embassy.

I know that the waiver must be requested at the DoS.

What about the No Objection Statement? Where do I request this?

Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Edited by Eduardo199

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Eduardo199 said:

I know that the waiver must be requested at the DoS.

What about the No Objection Statement? Where do I request this?

Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Did you google "No Objection Letter J1"?  I just found examples and the process.......in about 5 seconds.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

The process varies by country. I had to request it to an office in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in my country, they sent it to the embassy, and then I picked it up. 

Who sponsored your J1?

I recommend that you call the embassy of Mexico in the US and ask them, or send them an email. I'm from another country, but I always got answers that way. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

He or she is trying to find the process to apply for the no objection letter in Mexico. That's not the same information and actually, I tried to google it and I got information from a lot of other countries appear but not from Mexico. OP will have to dig a bit deeper and look for alternative phrases in Spanish. I'm a native Spanish speaker and I still couldn't find it, but I only spent 5 minutes. That's why I recommend to call the embassy directly. 

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

He or she is trying to find the process to apply for the no objection letter in Mexico. That's not the same information and actually, I tried to google it and I got information from a lot of other countries appear but not from Mexico. OP will have to dig a bit deeper and look for alternative phrases in Spanish. I'm a native Spanish speaker and I still couldn't find it, but I only spent 5 minutes. That's why I recommend to call the embassy directly. 

Oh...OK.  Thanks.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Oh...OK.  Thanks.

Yeah. It is country specific. I spent about a day looking for this information in several sites and forums but I could not find any information related to the NOS letter for mexicans.

17 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Thanks! I am also native speaker. I could not find anything

19 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

The process varies by country. I had to request it to an office in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in my country, they sent it to the embassy, and then I picked it up. 

Who sponsored your J1?

I recommend that you call the embassy of Mexico in the US and ask them, or send them an email. I'm from another country, but I always got answers that way. 

My visa was sponsored by the US department of state. I am part of the Fulbright program.
Thanks I guess I will have to send that email.

4 minutes ago, Eduardo199 said:

My visa was sponsored by the US department of state. I am part of the Fulbright program.

Ok. Already I can tell you that doing a waiver is a waste of time. Fulbright never gives waiver. The waiver process would be as follow:

1- You ask for a NOS from your government 

2- You submit paperwork to DOS

3- DOS asks Fulbright for views, Fulbright says no (it's their policy)

4- Your waiver is rejected

I have a lot of friends that had Fulbright.

I would contact your embassy and ask them what kind of documents are needed for them to provide you with the No objection letter. I did the same with my embassy because there where no information available online. Also with US government sponsorship (especially Fulbright program), you will need a very strong Statement of reason.

Even with a strong statement they will deny it. There have been cases of people that could not go back to their countries because of war or discrimination, and Fulbright still said no. It's their policy and they explain it very well when people accept the scholarship. 

OP would have to check, though, that Fulbright is the actual sponsor (sometimes, Fulbright Commission in the county is in charge of promoting programs funded by other offices within the State Department, and those offices are more lenient depending on the type of program). 

You will get the no objection letter from your nearest Mexican consulate. Where are you located? 

Unfortunately, as @Coco8 already mentioned, a Fulbrighter cannot obtain a no objection waiver without proof of unusual and compelling facts establishing that Mexico and the U.S. will both benefit considerably more by allowing you to remain in the U.S.

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You will get the no objection letter from your nearest Mexican consulate. Where are you located? 

Unfortunately, as @Coco8 already mentioned, a Fulbrighter cannot obtain a no objection waiver without proof of unusual and compelling facts establishing that Mexico and the U.S. will both benefit considerably more by allowing you to remain in the U.S.

I am located in Texas.

Problem is that only part of the funding was Fulbright.

What happens if my waiver gets rejected?

Edited by Eduardo199

2 hours ago, Eduardo199 said:

I am located in Texas.

Problem is that only part of the funding was Fulbright.

What happens if my waiver gets rejected?

You have to go spend 2 years in Mexico. 

They don't care about how much funding they gave. I've seen cases here in which they only gave 10,000 in total and people still had to go back. That does not mean you shouldn't try. Though I think it'd be better if you planned as if you were not going to get it so that it does not affect what you want to do in the medium term.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.